Rigid frame mountain bicycle

dreamerman

Rigid frame mountain bicycle

Postby dreamerman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Have been looking around for a new sub $200 rigid frame non-telescopic fork variable speed mountain bicycle for occasional use. All I have seen so far have at least telescopic forks. Have checked out all the usual places (kmart/bigw/target) but no joy. Not keen on used bikes. Does anyone know where I could get one? Thanks.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Rigid frame mountain bicycle

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:44 am

Not a hope in Hell. Doubling your budget will easily get you a city bike with that spec. Or you could get a fixie for the budget. Everything else for that money will be used or something new that you'll have to customise.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm

telescopic fork=suspension fork ;), although at the bottom of the range the word suspension is a bit optimistic.

Is there a reason you are not keen on used? For $200 you should be able to pick up a decent bike and throw a little money at it for cables, tyres, brake pads etc. There are usually lots on gumtree etc. Bikes aren't hard to work on and basic bikes are simple machines that are often only lightly used by the previous owner due to upgraditis or short lived cycling enthusiasm. I picked up a rigid, basic MTB for $15, put some new cables, tyres and brake pads on it (myself) for well under $200 and it's 100% better than anything you could buy for new at that price.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171418419398

Here is an example, and for the leftover $50 you could switch to a rigid fork.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Tackleberry

Postby Tackleberry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:00 am

If you don't mind an old or vintage bike check ebay or gumtree.