Best way to test new handlebars?

Xplora

Best way to test new handlebars?

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:00 pm

LBS? Not so local LBS? Just buy and try? Friends bike?

I am hanging out to dump my Bontrager ergosum because it just isn't my bar, would like to play around with a traditional bend but I have realised that trying something else out is a mission once you remount the hoods etc. Steve Hogg is the only place I have been which would allow me to try a couple different shapes because he has them in stock! Thinking the 3t tornova looks the business.

Suggestions, offers? :lol:

trailgumby

Re: Best way to test new handlebars?

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Having started with a pair of them, I have a question re: traditional bend...

Why? :?

If you live in Sydney's north or work in the CBD, I have a set you can borrow if you really must. I'll need to check out the measurements.

I had a lot of trouble reachiing the brake levers and getting comfortable, and I have long-ish fingers.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Got a generic set from Velogear a while ago that just didn't work for me. Lasted all of one ride before removal. 26.0 clamp, 420 wide.

If you're interested I could get some pics for you.

Price for you if it goes ahead, Postage and a coffee/beer next time we meet.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:17 pm

I think it really comes down to your position on the bike and your physiology. My index fingers are short relative to my hand, and I have a rather upright pelvis angle on the saddle... I think Fizik would call me a classic Snake. I'm hunting for a better aerodynamic position while improving brake access. Should note that since I've gone to Campy 11spd I don't have to rest on the bars when using the hoods at all... so the traditional bend is potentially a bit more friendly. I didn't really have the chance to consider this when on my old 105 5600 or 5700/6700 hoods... but I definitely remember enjoying the flatter aspect of the anatomic handlebars on the Kona when I rotated them one day. Just didn't realise you could move the hoods to improve useability :lol:

Just reread your post TG - traditional is supposed to be EASIER, not harder?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Using a 31.8 clamp MB. 42cm c-c is the ticket though!