Thule or Yakima Bike Hitch Mount Bike Carrier

AndrewJames

Thule or Yakima Bike Hitch Mount Bike Carrier

Postby AndrewJames » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi

I am looking at potentially getting either of these

Thule Apex Swing

http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this

http://www.yakima.com.au/2/Products/cat ... lSwing-New" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My concern is that these 'premium' racks are not using any bolt through the hitch but instead use a internal friction type expander that you screw out until its tight.
I have seen some Amazon reviews, albeit only about 3 talking about the whole rack slowly moving out of the hitch on a long trip, with the risk of falling out completely.

The Thule Apex does have this safety bolt, but other reviews also mentioned them breaking easily

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of these specific bike rack models? I can see the ease of use in a rack that you simply screw in and then out, compared to putting a bolt in with a 3/4 spanner as is the case of the slightly less expensive Thule Vertex Swing

JBark

Re: Thule or Yakima Bike Hitch Mount Bike Carrier

Postby JBark » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm pretty sure the Yakima has a pin as well, what they call the AutoPin. Likely just a spring loaded pin that engages in the hitch bolt hole, so it shouldn't slide out.

That said, I really wish I could find a hitch mount that works like the old Yakima I had when I lived in the US. It used a regular threaded bolt like so many hitch mount racks, but instead of having to tighten the bolt with a spanner, it had a handle built right onto the bolt itself. Such a great design, and yet they don't seem to use it anymore. It had a lock on it as well, so it's not like the handle made it easier to steal.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Andrew forgive me for jumping in here but what vehicle do you drive? One of those images looks like an NS/NT/NW Pajero and there are some show stoppers with that.

I'm mindful of commercial banter on the forum though.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

AndrewJames

Postby AndrewJames » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi

vehicle is a Honda CRV - Barn Door model. Whole Door swings out on side mounted hinges. though I might not have it for long, trying to think of a rack that works across a few different SUV configurations.

I have to admit I am tempted to move 'down' the THULE range to a Vertex model that comes with the bolt, despite it being more effort to undo each time. Particularly if I drive somewhere on a Sunday (so not a long trip away) with the kids and bikes, arrive there, take off the bikes and then unbolt it and put it in the back. Come back after say a 1hour ride and everyone waits whilst I bolt it back on.
So that is a total of 4 'boltings'

Put it on at home
take it off at destination
put it back on at destination after ride
Take if off at home

Though I do note the Thule Vertex has a lockable bolt accessory for the Vertex model, so maybe I can leave it on the car, sitting alone in a back street whilst we go on a hour ride. Then I am only bolting on and off twice not four times in one afternoon.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Quick, before George comes back somebody mention ISI carriers. In that price range it is the option for me.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Whoops stupid iphone! I posted my response in the wrong bike rack thread!

Kuat is the right answer

http://kuatracks.com/en/products/hitch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndrewJames

Postby AndrewJames » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 am

wow, those Kuat and ISI carriers are flash, no ISI equivalent to the THule Apex 5 bike carrier?

I think they are probably over engineered for my situation. I can see how well they are suited to bush and outback tracks, but unfortunately I will not be doing any of that.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 am

I would get an ISI for the increase departure angle. If you have a sedan height car it is surprising how low to the ground the back of one of those racks will get if you go up a steep driveway. Yesterday I saw a bike from a beak rack hit the ground coming out a relatively flat driveway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.