Thinking of new bike

fergy1987

Thinking of new bike

Postby fergy1987 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:26 pm

I am looking at upgrading from my Avanti flat bar to a road bike, but am looking for some advice as to if it is the right choice as there seems to be good arguments for both sides.

I ride mainly on bike paths which are usually 10-20km rides but have recently been riding a bit further lately up to 50km (Around Kedron Brook to Sandgate etc)

I was looking at a Giant Defy 2 today which i can pick up for $1099 new for the 2015 model, but am just wondering if a road bike really isn't as practical for the type of riding I do on shared paths. My thought is that if I am sitting on top of the hoods most of the time and only occasionally going to the drops on the straights for a bit more aero is it worth the money to upgrade?

Would I be better off looking at perhaps slapping on a slicker 28mm tyre on the flat bar for a bit less rolling resistance (currently on a 32mm)

Would a road bike be alright on all the cracks and dents in a bike path?

I am just concerned I will ride it at the shop and like it but then when I actually use it daily will find it impractical.

Any advice would be great!

softy

Re: Thinking of new bike

Postby softy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Road bikes are really fun, and roll so nicely,

I have a cervelo S5, and it is a hoot to ride, it has zipps 404 and tubulars fitted for a plusher ride. Yes road bikes have a firmer ride but they roll so much better and turn in so nice if you have an aggressive frame.
I realise what I have is out of your price range but for a little more than you have budgeted you can pick up a nice road bike second hand.

If your not to keen on drop bars you can fit cow horns and attach the STIs to the ends. I am thinking of doing this myself and attaching tt aero handle bars, but as yet have to work it out. This is a option but can't be road raced in this configuration.

I just sold a cervelo soloist carbon fitted with sram force and fulcrum zeros for 1300. This was a nice ride. Don't worry so much about year of bike and 11 speed, it is not essential. A top end bike 4 5years ago is still a nice ride.

Bikes devalue very quickly so if it is a few years old it should be less than half, easily. Tyres can make a big difference in comfort, cotton, slightly wider 25mm tyres add considerable to a plush ride.

I hope this helps in your choice.

jemima

Postby jemima » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:40 pm

I've probably been on those same paths/roads heaps of times.
For about a year, I did it on my flatbar, going further north across the bridge to Refcliffe and up the coast to the yacht club etc.
It was time for a drop bar bike, and I rode those same bike paths/roads for another year.

I think if you have 25c-28c tyres, you'll be fine.

I can't remember the name of the place, but there is a Giant bike shop 'Tom Wallace Cycles'? on the northside.
I do remember they were fine with me taking a Defy out for a few hours on the weekend, riding it from the shop, to the coast along the creek/river bike paths/roads.

Maybe if your rides start getting longer, a drop bar would suit best?

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 pm

I ride the same bike paths (Mitchelton to Nudgee Beach mostly) with my flatbar Avanti. I had the Avanti as my daily commuter to ride to work into the city but have just retired. I really want to keep up the kms in (semi) retirement and am thinking about changing over to a road bike too. Also probably want to venture onto some new routes.

My Avanti has disc brakes and I think I'd like to have them on my next bike as well, which in some ways narrows the choices (probably isn't a bad thing). So I'm also researching .... I'll be interested to see the responses and advice. :D

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:08 am

I'd recommend a relaxed geometry roadie with discs. If your riding the paths, you will probably run into gravel at some stage so 25 or 28 tyres is good for alittle more plush ride. A for discs once you try them you won't go back to callipers.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike