Building a bike

SeanD380

Building a bike

Postby SeanD380 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Apologies as I am sure this has been discussed a few times, but just wanted my own thread for clarity.

I have always wanted to build a bike, but I only just recently bought a new Trek Domane so a little wasted on me.

So have decided to look into building my wife a new bike.

Looking at this frame for $200 http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-f ... /102556555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Shame it does't fork as it will be hard to colour match, but guess it's cheap for a reason)

So far my list contains

Fork
Saddle
Seatpost + Clamp
Headset Spacers
Stem
Handle Bars
501 Group Set inc Brakes
Wheels/Tyres/Tubes
Brake and Gear cables.

So far it looks like $1400 for a Carbon bike with 501 which seems ok. Have I missed anything major?
2015 Focus Cayo 3.0 Disc
2015 Cervelo S3

denwol

Re: Building a bike

Postby denwol » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:43 am

Does that frame take mechanical gearing?
Have you got specific tools? That would be a major cost.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:05 am

You could buy a full carbon 105 bike for $1400. Any reason you want to build?

I saw a full carbon, (mostly) ultegra bike for under $1500 yesterday.

Is your wife currently riding? Do you know exactly what setup she wants or needs? Eg saddle choice?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:14 am

I just picked up a frame from Avanti Plus Brunswick too with a build in progress (MTB though). Here are a few little things, but little things add up.

- Bar tape
- Bar ends
- Brake and gear cables should come with the shifters/groupset so wait until you get it to assess what exactly you need.
- Brake/gear adjusters etc. Check out what type of cable layout your frame has. I had to go for mostly inline adjusters.
- Fork bung (if going for a carbon steerer - star nut won't cut it). Make sure you measure the ID of the steerer because just because they say for carbon forks, a lot of them are too big to fit.
- Tools: Bottom bracket (looks like threaded BB so should be cheap), Headset press (or use the threaded rod method), Cassette tool, Star nut tool (if alloy steerer), fork steerer cutter
- Pedals

All that probably added another $100-$200 to the budget.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:23 am

Chain and cassette - may or may not be included with the groupset depending on where you source it.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:25 am

Building a bike is very rarely cheaper than buying complete.

I tend to build my own bikes but transfer most components onto new frames then upgrade bits here and there as they wear out*

*in case Mrs KGB asks.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:09 pm

KGB wrote:Building a bike is very rarely cheaper than buying complete.

I tend to build my own bikes but transfer most components onto new frames then upgrade bits here and there as they wear out*

*in case Mrs KGB asks.
It also helps the 'did you buy another bike' thing which doesn't seem like a problem you have. Somehow the other half thinks parts are ok (I might have sold it to her as a safety thing...) but completed bikes are a no-no. The tipping point is when wheels go on, it becomes a bike and you are screwed. Anyway I digress...

Even with my $50 frame. I'm still looking at roughly the same cost of a similarly priced rig albeit I have a little more control of how I specify it (shimano vs sram etc.)
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:03 pm

You haven't included headset or water bottle cages.

I've owned 3 road bikes and only the first was bought as a complete bike, I prefer to build them myself as the complete bikes generally will come with a number components/compromises that would annoy me. I bought a complete bike last year for the first time in 10 years and have changed quite a bit, won't bother again. I just bought a road frame I will build up slowly, it may be more expensive but I always end up a lot more attached to the bike knowing I selected the components myself for specific reasons that suit me.
No signature