Beginners Mtb

vthai

Beginners Mtb

Postby vthai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:05 am

Hi guys

Looking for some advice for a beginners bike looking at the new reid xenon $ 549 or the trek marlin 6 $679 just wanted is it is worth spending the extra on the trek or just get the reid thanks in advance.

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-xenon-29er-disc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/mo ... /marlin_6/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beginners Mtb

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:34 am

Trek is a more established brand and international brand and the selling point is that with a higher price tag you get a better quality more reliable bike. The trade off, you may get poorer value as you are 'paying for the brand').

Reid Cycles are a young brand, just available on the Australian market (though technically the manufacturer may sell the same frame and configuration to other countries under a different name). The selling point is that you get better value, more for your money. The trade off, the standard and quality control may not be as good as more established brands.

On the bikes you have suggested I can't comment on the value though the Reid has a lower groupset (brakes, chain, gears) while the Trek has a slightly better groupset and the inhouse brand (bontrager) components. Reid has a marginally better disc brake than the Trek and the forks look to be comparable for both.

A difficult choice, Reid throw in a few goodiess o that is a bonus however you may have to upgrade the tires and pedals on the Reid.
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 am

Interesting the trek comes with smaller 27.5 wheels in the two smallest sizes.

Reid appears to provide the best 'value' but the brand snobs will probably give you a hard time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

vthai

Postby vthai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks guys
Just a another question the reid has a lockout option on the forks and the trek doesn't I am guessing that would be handy if I was to take the bike out on the a flat surface road?
Does it really make a difference for beginner?

Also the trek dealer is only 5 mins away and the reid dealer is about an hour away should this also be taken into consideration for servicing the bike or would u take it to any bike shop?

Thanks

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 am

Lockout is handy on the road. I use it on my hardtail and occasionally on the 29er dually in races where there is substantial smooth fire road climbing sections like the Highland Fling, but the button is up close to or on the handlebar. On my first hard tail when it was down near the front wheel, not so much.

Anthony1234

Postby Anthony1234 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:26 pm

I recently picked up a Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er for $560 (rrp $699ish) as they were clearing out 2014 models.

Worth adding to your list and calling around for prices as what price you see online and what price they can actually do if you call can be very different.

vthai

Postby vthai » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks for all your help guys i ended up getting a Cell stromlo 2.0