henders

Postby henders » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:59 am

Last edited by henders on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bentnose

Re: Regular maintenance interval and oil

Postby Bentnose » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:16 pm

The Finish Line Cross Country is a wet lube and is meant to be more resilient for wet/extreme conditions. Tri Flow make dry lube and wet lube, don't know which one you have, I'm currently using the wet one. The dry is generally for dry conditions though I find it has to be applied more often maybe once a week. I prefer to use wet lube all year round and if it doesn't rain I'll usually lube once a month, if it rains I'll lube after a very wet ride or leave it a couple with light rain, don't forget to lube the jockey wheels, if you don't they can sometimes get quite squeaky, you might do these every 3-4 chain lubes, at the same time I also oil the derailleur pivot points and other points like pedals, bottom bracket cable guides etc.

I use Red Devil grease, this is used on most screws/threads though some screws need Loctite instead, the place were I use grease the most is the headset, on the mtb I strip it once a year and liberally apply grease also the same with my Hope freehub. On my road bikes I generally just grease the headset every now and then (years) and it is used on most screws/threads. Grease is sometimes used on seatposts though carbon frames, aluminium posts and grease tend to result in slippage. People also use grease on seat rails, though I had to Loctite a seat on recently so there are no hard and fast rules, there is also carbon assembly paste though I haven't used that.

Probably too much info and someone will post a different regime I'm sure. I base the riding on about 5 hours a week.
No signature

Aushiker

Re: Regular maintenance interval and oil

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 pm

I have documented my approach in a blog post here but basically I service my bikes every 500 km in the wet season and every 1,000 km in the dry months. My choice of lube is Rock n' Gold but I am testing out Squirt and have Purple Extreme on standby for testing as well. I also record my chain life here.

Andrew