Roof bike racks

digbyj

Roof bike racks

Postby digbyj » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi All,
Shopping around for bike roof rack holders.
Need to transport my road bike, MTB and the wife's hybrid, not all at the same time.
I think given the MTB skewer situation I will get the type where front wheel stays on.
I was checking out the torpedo7 branded ones which are on special.
Does anyone have any advice?
Do I need to get a more premium branded one to protect my steeds or are the basic ones very similar?
Some look quite plasticky?
I look forward to hearing about your racks or maybe you know someone with a great rack, pics welcome ;-)
Cheers,
Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RonK

Re: Roof bike racks

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:57 pm

digbyj wrote:pics welcome ;-)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 am

Bikes can just as easily get damaged if you have a towbar mounted rack if someone rear-ends you or you back into something.

I haven't had any experience with the T7 bike racks. I have the Thule ones myself (one where you leave the front wheel on), very good, very easy to use.

I mostly use the roof rack for my carbon road bikes but the few times I've had to use them for MTB or hybrids I've found it difficult to lift the heavier bike onto the roof. That's not really a criticism of the roof rack (going to have same problem with any brand roof rack), rather a showing of my rather poor arm strength! :oops:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:01 am

Ross wrote:Bikes can just as easily get damaged if you have a towbar mounted rack if someone rear-ends you or you back into something.
I think the difference is that driving into a garage with bikes on the roof is entirely under the control of the driver. Getting rear ended would have to be a much more unlikely event, and entirely out of the control of the driver for the most part.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

digbyj

Postby digbyj » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks for the pic, I think.
Yeah agree with the heavy bike factor, definitely something to consider.
I think one advantage is that the hybrid probably wouldn't go on very often.
I see plenty of people with them on the roof, surely trashing them isn't that common?

RonK

Roof bike racks

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 pm

I have personal knowledge of seven incidents where this has happened - and most of the people involved were experienced cyclists, two of them were bike shop employees.

By contrast I know of nobody who has been rear-ended while carrying bikes or has damaged them while reversing.

You asked for advice and this is mine. The picture is a warning of the possible consequences. Make your own choice how to carry your bikes. I have preferred to bear the not inconsiderable expense of fitting a towbar rather than run the risk I might be distracted or forget.

digbyj

Postby digbyj » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks Ronk.

Does anyone have any other advice relating to brands or preferred type of roof bike carrier?

Cheers

RonK

Roof bike racks

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 pm

A system worthy of consideration - if you can mount it on the back rather than the roof is the Seasucker.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 pm

I now have a Rhino Discovery Bike Carrier on the car which I prefer over the Thule ProRide 591 which I had previously as seen in the photo above.

Oh I have a "warning tag" which I hang from the rear view mirror when I have the bike on the roof as a reminder. I got it from MTB Threads but I see they are currently out of stock.

Andrew

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:20 pm

RonK wrote:
digbyj wrote:pics welcome ;-)
This pic is a time-honoured BNA forum classic.

Gets a laugh from me every time I see it (and I've even driven in to my garage hard enough to deform one of the rack mounts!) :D