Starter bike for commuting?

Lalabanana

Starter bike for commuting?

Postby Lalabanana » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi all

Newbie here!! Sorry for the long first post!

I have been wanting to start cycling for a while for a bit of exercise (i used to bike everywhere when i was young).

I am now basically in a position where I am forced to (sent my car for repairs when it crapped out, and its still in the shop after somehow being made worse than it was when I dropped it off).

Rather than buy another car, ive decided now is the time to get biking and finally stop thinking about it.

Ill be biking to and from work from Toowong to Eagle Farm which I believe is about 14 ks

Im pretty unfit (played indoor netball for two and a half seasons but stopped in March and pretty sure I am less fit than I was when I started playing netball) so will just be starting out an as a result, I dont want to go out spending thousands in case I really hate commuting to work via bike, and end up with an expensive bike just decorating the garage (i actually enjoy biking though, especially with my dogs but havent done it in ages as I dont have a bike now, so think ill be fine, but just in case).

So, my question is, where can I find a reasonably cheap bike that wont cost me a leg, and what kind of bike do I need or things should I be looking for?

Can I just go to target and pick up a cheapy with the intention of upgrading if and when I decide I like it (my partner suggested i buy a second hand real bike, but these dont seem that cheap either and i dont really know what type of bike is best, i was looking at a mountain bike lolol)

Also, does anyone know if i can cycle along the river walk all the way from Toowong to Eagle Farm?

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance

rangersac

Re: Starter bike for commuting?

Postby rangersac » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 am

Define your budget and we can start from there. Target/ Big W bikes should be avoided as they are far more trouble then they are worth, and you will quickly hate riding them. There are good new bike options for commuting from places like Cell which don't cost the earth like the SS200. It has more gears than you will ever need, has reliable components and will be dead easy to ride. Second hand has more value if you know what you are looking for but you need to be confident in assessing wear and tear.

EDIT: spelling
Last edited by rangersac on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm

I don't think the river walk is open that far yet is it?

Lalabanana

Postby Lalabanana » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 pm

From googling since i posted this, no it doesnt look like it is open that far yet

But im assuming I can ride it as far as it goes and then switch up to the road or footpath after that maybe

I just spoke to a shop on the phone, and thy stock Giant?? I think is the brand

Hes sent me pictures for two bikes which are called commuters??

499, or equipped with a carrier etc for 599

I dont know the model numbers

I dont really have a specific budget per se, i just dont want to spend too much in case i dot enjoy it and i give up after a few days (technically this wouldnt happen as until my car is fixed, i will HAVE to bike and hopefully by then itll just be a habit, if you know what i mean)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Another shout for don't buy a dept store bike. Buy one and you probably won't last as a commuter.

Like above give us an indication of your budget. To get a reasonable bike you'll need to look at bike shop bikes. The cell, Reid etc represent good value for money as you don't have to pay extra for a special branding label. I'm thinking around $500 plus a bit for helmet, lock etc. Giant is a good brand, and tends to be good value of the 'brand name' brands.

A commuter bike will tend to have flat handlebars, a reasonably upright riding position and have skinny-ish tyres to keep your speed up. It should have rack and mudguard mounting points ready to add accesories.

If you have mechanical ability and/or can con a cycling friend then second hand is a great place to start out. Lots of entry level bikes get traded as the owner either upgrades, or didn't get ride much and want to get rid of the garage ornament. There are plenty of bargains out there.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lalabanana

Postby Lalabanana » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks wveryone

I went to the bike shop this arvo and i bought a giant alight le (i think its called) commuter bike

It should be in store for me to pick up tomorrow

Jsy got the basic model at this point

Will upgrade if and when i get into it