Price Aus v Usa parts

cbambrick87

Price Aus v Usa parts

Postby cbambrick87 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Next year I am going on a holiday to America. I am wondering is cycling parts cheaper in the USA.
I have just purchased a new bike and would like a set of 50mm carbon clincher wheel set.
Thanks in advanced

trailgumby

Re: Price Aus v Usa parts

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 pm

It is... until you factor in the additional sales taxes at federal, state, and municipal level.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 pm

My experience is that the UK is usually cheapest - I qualify this by saying that it dep. upon what you are buying.

Shipping from the USA to Aust. is expensive compared to other countries, I have found this a deal breaker on heaps of purchases.

If you purchase on holiday and intent to carry the wheels into Aust you will not only have the inconvenience of carry the wheels about and worry about checked in baggage damage and you will have to declare them upon entry to Aust - if they are priced over $1000 you will be forced to pay duty on top.

Unless you cannot buy the same wheelset elesewhere I'd be surprised if it's avail. in the USA with shipping for less.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 am

open roader wrote: If you purchase on holiday and intent to carry the wheels into Aust you will not only have the inconvenience of carry the wheels about and worry about checked in baggage damage and you will have to declare them upon entry to Aust - if they are priced over $1000 you will be forced to pay duty on top.

Unless you cannot buy the same wheelset elesewhere I'd be surprised if it's avail. in the USA with shipping for less.
Wheels are exempt from duty. May need to pay GST though.

Easier just to order them online (from UK as suggested, most UK online shops do free shipping when spending a few hundred dollars) and have them delivered to your door. Some Aus shops such as Bike Bug will price match o/s prices (must be exact same product) but they do take into account freight and duty and GST.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Jenson is amazingly cheap with their special, they have a few stores in orange county or you could even pick up from their warehouse. Even with state tax, its still cheaper than locally sourced. Don't mean to open a debate, but at the end of the day its your $ so if you have the opportunity big thumbs up I suppose :D

I grabbed a few items last time, some items were discounted to around $20 which include mavic jerseys, compressions, pedals and etc..when it times to compare it could've costed me well over a 1k buying local.