first road bike, some help and suggestions :)

roadbikes

first road bike, some help and suggestions :)

Postby roadbikes » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Hey everyone :) im new to this forum so im not sure if im posting in the right area. However,

Im currently a 17 year old teenager in high school and currently have a mountain bike (from anaconda general mtb for $600), i enjoy riding however im not a competitive rider , just the weekend rides to city and back sometimes and those long rides once in a while. After a city trip recently i found that the mountain bike i have is just way to heavy for long rides (i will still use it for general local rides). I am buying a road bike for sole purpose of city trips on weekends with some friends and next year i will take part in the peoples ride for 260km called the great ocean ride.

Im looking for a road bike that is good for its price and i read somewhere anything under $600 is a waste as this is entry level cost. As i already have a mountain bike i dont want to spend a fortune on a new bike, especially since my parents are reluctant to even buy a new bike for me.

The options i have are
- http://www.reidcycles.com.au/condor-road-bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (cheapest of the bunch , not leaning towards this much at all but would like some suggestions on it)
- http://www.reidcycles.com.au/aquila-sti-road-bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very likely to get this, very appealing, cost is decent looks good and parts are alright?)
- http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bikes/road-bikes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (id have to find $100 on the ground to go for this but if its really worth it i can see if i can fit this in my budget)

Im not professional by any means, as stated im just a fitness rider who rides with friends (we try and be competitive and beat each other - but no stakes). Would you also tell me if the second link is worth it because at this stage im 90% set on it. Sale ends on sat/sun so any feedback prior would be awesome!

tron07

Re: first road bike, some help and suggestions :)

Postby tron07 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 pm

I bought a Reid after looking around, so ar so good. Hope this thread helps you. Check out cell bikes as well.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 am

Hey Tron, i saw that you used the code "VIP", im not a vip member but am i able to use the code in store, or did you buy online and collect in store?

- Also how is the bike holding up atm?

Thanks

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 am

Go the Falco Sport. Thats the best bike in your budget from Reid and lots of bang for your buck. Don't even think about the Condor, lots of horror stories with that one (well one that I know of personally). I wouldn't touch the Aquila either. The Osprey maybe but the Falco Sport is really a much better bike. Good luck.
PS you won't find much better unless the budget goes to about $800 where the cell lapa 2.0 excells.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:18 am

why do you say that theres no point touching the Aquilla? im not a professional by any means but would it be worth going up to osprey and falco?

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Hey roady, do you know much about bikes and how to work on them? If you do, a second hand one might be a lot kinder on your teenage pocket

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:33 pm

roadbikes wrote:why do you say that theres no point touching the Aquilla? im not a professional by any means but would it be worth going up to osprey and falco?
The fact I can't even recognize the level of Shimano components rings rather loud alarms bells to be - its that low a level. In my experience low level components means a lot of regular adjustment. Also the low quality means more things break and go wrong. It might last OK for 6 months but as it gets older there will be problems or it won't be quite right and I just think you will be throwing it in the gutter after 12 months and prob be looking for a better bike.

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm

rodneycc wrote:
roadbikes wrote:why do you say that theres no point touching the Aquilla? im not a professional by any means but would it be worth going up to osprey and falco?
The fact I can't even recognize the level of Shimano components rings rather loud alarms bells to be - its that low a level. In my experience low level components means a lot of regular adjustment. Also the low quality means more things break and go wrong. It might last OK for 6 months but as it gets older there will be problems or it won't be quite right and I just think you will be throwing it in the gutter after 12 months and prob be looking for a better bike.
Alright i see.

Well my parents will be buying it for me, and i really want to keep this bike for at least 5-6 years as a minimum, until i finish uni. I've gone up to my parents and said no christmas / birthday gift if i get this bike, so i've gone higher in the price, i really dont want a crappy bike for its money and want something thats bang for its buck. Im thinking about these now

- http://www.reidcycles.com.au/osprey-eli ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-falco ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-falco ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im leaning towards the first link - 27 gears , good weight, shimano sora (any good?) and 470 bucks seems pretty good. However im open to thoughts can someone give me some advantages and disadvantages of each of the systems (shimano sora vs tiagra vs 105) on these bikes. Im hoping to make a decision by tomorrow night, or tonight if possible. Thanks!

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:37 pm

im probably leaning towards this now http://www.reidcycles.com.au/osprey-eli ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; vs http://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-falco ... cyclenetau" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , please give thoughts, im not professional so i dont think ill see many of the differences between the two?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:48 pm

The Falco Sport for me. But go and test ride them both first and then make the decision. Also do a search on both bikes on BNA, there are heaps of other threads about these two bikes that might help you make a decision also...

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I geuss if im buying a bike might as well buy a good one. Will i see a massive difference between the falco sport and osprey elite? in terms of my riding

test rides are all but useless, as they're not long enough to know whether you'll be comfortable on the bike on longer rides.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:25 pm

The frames of the Falco and Osprey are of equal quality. The Osprey is a little more upright (only a little) and has mounts for a rear rack and mudguards. The Falco is slightly more 'racy' (though not particularly aggressive) in geometry.

The difference in price between the Falco and Osprey models is purely in the components. In terms of functionality and reliability, there's very little difference between Sora (3500) and Tiagra (4600) besides the 9-speed cassette on the former and a little less weight on the latter. If I were you, I'd base my choice on the proposed use (based on the frame characteristics), rather than the component level.

Personally, I bought a Falco Elite last year and it was a great bike until the frame buckled on the top and down tube - granted it did plow into the side of a van at 30km/h :D. Before that it got ~6000km of solid use as a commuter, weekend 'epic' and social ride bike. I test rode an Osprey Elite last week and it'd be my next bike if I wasn't going down the Chinese carbon frame route, in spite of the insurance covering the cost of a new Falco Elite+lbs workshop time.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:38 pm

The extra flexibility of the 2 extra gears of the 10 speed Tiagra and the double crank instead of the triple tips the scales for me (you probably will like the triple for the first 6 months of riding but as you get a better rider the slightly higher gear of the double will work better). Then again might depend on how many hills you have to climb!

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:55 pm

lobstermash wrote:The frames of the Falco and Osprey are of equal quality. The Osprey is a little more upright (only a little) and has mounts for a rear rack and mudguards. The Falco is slightly more 'racy' (though not particularly aggressive) in geometry.

The difference in price between the Falco and Osprey models is purely in the components. In terms of functionality and reliability, there's very little difference between Sora (3500) and Tiagra (4600) besides the 9-speed cassette on the former and a little less weight on the latter. If I were you, I'd base my choice on the proposed use (based on the frame characteristics), rather than the component level.

Personally, I bought a Falco Elite last year and it was a great bike until the frame buckled on the top and down tube - granted it did plow into the side of a van at 30km/h :D. Before that it got ~6000km of solid use as a commuter, weekend 'epic' and social ride bike. I test rode an Osprey Elite last week and it'd be my next bike if I wasn't going down the Chinese carbon frame route, in spite of the insurance covering the cost of a new Falco Elite+lbs workshop time.
thanks for that, as a normal rider im assuming your saying their wont be any difference really between the sora and tiagra? my friend did say that with the extra gears there is a chance of the chain stretching.
rodneycc wrote:The extra flexibility of the 2 extra gears of the 10 speed Tiagra and the double crank instead of the triple tips the scales for me (you probably will like the triple for the first 6 months of riding but as you get a better rider the slightly higher gear of the double will work better). Then again might depend on how many hills you have to climb!
not exactly sure what your saying - im not too sure about double cranks etc haha, not too bikey. Do you think the osprey elite ticks all boxes for me?

Cheers

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Triple cranks are a little 'old fashioned' or 'European' nowadays. The reason they're on the Osprey Elite is because it allows the bike to be used as a tourer (i.e. loaded down with lots of extra gear). The extra ring ads a small amount of weight (both the extra ring and a long-cage rear derailleur to maintain chain tension) and a touch more complexity to tuning up the front derailleur. You'll probably rarely use the inner ring, but there's really little harm in it being there.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Dont eorry about stretching the chain. Ypu would need to be jercules to do that.

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Oh ok then, thats fine. So can someone please give me a final verdict on the osprey elite or falco sport, taking into consideration my needs and $$. I want something that can last long time, hoping 6-7-8 before needing to upgrade, in the long term i dont see my self anything more then a fitness rider/long distance once a week to city and back and that once or twice long ride somewhere new.

Thanks

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:56 pm

The components on the Aquila are not bad. A070 is also known as tourney, it is a relatively new model groupset that replaced A050 in 2013. The fact that the group has a name says that it is decent. Personally I have used it and although it feels slightly less refined/crisp as more expensive groupsets it is still great and is very reliable (which is what really matters most anyway). Between the Aquila and the osprey, I would go with the osprey due to the better gear ratios. A bottom gear of 42-28 is not very low and would force you to grind slowly on long and steep climbs. lowering the gear ratios by buying and installing a new crank would be quite expensive and cancel out the apparent low cost of the bike.

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for that Homo Suburbiensis. what about in regards to the osprey elite vs falco sport? taking into consideration specs and also cost?

Thanks

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:16 pm

I would go with the Osprey elite over the falco. Why? As you say, your parents are paying for it. You are only 17 and realistically if you start to really enjoy cycling neither bike would keep you satisfied for 5-6 years. You will end up upgrading in a few years time. Better save some money now and buy something solid and reliable to suit your needs.. There is also a whole heap of other stuff to buy which you may or may not already have (e.g. essentials would include spare tube, Tyre levers mini pump floor pump, patch kit etc. then you might need lights, want cycle specific clothing, clipless pedals etc.)and these costs all add up so its best (I think) just to save your money and buy the osprey.

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:26 pm

The problem is i dont want to regret not buying the falco in 6 months time, i know the falco advanced is to 'advanced' for me so i wont have any regret for that, but something decent over the next 4 years at least would be the falco? i dont want to persuade my self into doing this, but really sora -> tiagra for extra $90, something i would be able to get through working (chores etc..)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Whatever you end up getting, you will always wonder what the next 'level' would be like. If you got the Sport, you'd wish you got the Advanced. If you got the Advanced, you'd wish you got the Elite. If you got the Elite, you'd wish you got a carbon bike. The list goes on, and that's the power of marketing. The difference in functionality and reliability is virtually none.

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 pm

lobstermash wrote:Whatever you end up getting, you will always wonder what the next 'level' would be like. If you got the Sport, you'd wish you got the Advanced. If you got the Advanced, you'd wish you got the Elite. If you got the Elite, you'd wish you got a carbon bike. The list goes on, and that's the power of marketing. The difference in functionality and reliability is virtually none.
im liking the falco sport, but unless im getting bang for the buck i will only go for it then.

Cheers

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 pm

i havent got much idea/been told about the specs, which one would suit which type of rider, what is the most idea entry level bike.

roadbikes

Postby roadbikes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:30 pm

i think i might go with osprey elite? good price, good parts, really all i need for my needs?

however, only thing de tracting me is 27 gears? is this meant to be good? and the sora set?

cheers