Road Bikes around $10K

reflex101

Road Bikes around $10K

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Hello all,

I have been a lurker around here for a while and am now considering buying a new bike to replace old faithful...

I am an avid cyclist, I don't race. Instead I prefer either solo or bunch rides 70km to 100km. I have been cycling since 2006 when I purchased my first proper road bike - an ORBEA Onyx fitted with dura ace gear (Old Faithful). It's done about 34000 and I absolutely love it but it is now time for a new bike. At the time this was the best I could afford and now I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a good bike again.

What ever I end up buying at this level will be far better than my skill set needs but that is not the driving factor here. I enjoy riding and I want to enjoy the bike that I ride. And what ever I buy will be used for a few years, same as the ORBEA.

I have a budget of around 10K and keep looking at the S Works Tarmac 2015. After reading what I could see on the forums and else where on the net it seems that opinions do vary a lot but a few brands get mentioned a lot. Colnago, Pinarrello, BMC and Look spring to mind right now.

I like to look after my stuff so I service the bike myself and have all the tools, so Dura ace is my preferred brand of running gear since I know it well.

I am 167.5 cm tall
weigh 83kg (real climber LOL)

So in no special order I want a bike that;
looks good
is technically good
Uses the best or close to materials
Dura ace equipped
Will last 5 or 6 years

My question to anyone that would like to respond is What would you do in my situation - which brand would you consider and why?

Thank you.

crog

Re: Road Bikes around $10K

Postby crog » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Baum Custom Titanium

http://baumcycles.com/

my dream bike one day.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:22 pm

purely subjective, but the new Dogma F8 looks amazing in my books.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:55 pm

What about one of those custom made Legend Queen's. A bit like the Baum's.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/10/bikes ... ch-legend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:59 pm

At the 10K mark i'd want something a little different from the pack... not sure a Spec Tarmac would qualify for me (as nice a bike as it is). Plenty of options for a 10k bike. Personally I'd be leaning towards a titanium frame, preferably custom geo... or for something really special... a Pegoretti steel. Dario is considered one of (if not the) worlds best frame makers... and that custom hand painting is pure art in itself.

As mentioned above the Aussie made Baum are great... I've had the pleasure of testing a Coretto and was impressed, if only for the few kms I did.

Plenty of options at that price point though, adding to the Aussie made Baum.

I ride a US made Twenty2 Cycles custom geo Ti frame with Super Record and I love it.
also other Ti options worthy of consideration;
- Twenty2 Cycles (i'm 95kg and wanted something bomb proof. Brother in the US has a MTB by them. I contacted them and they were great at helping me sort geo and tubing... very much worth considering at a mid price point)
- Firefly (hope to own one, one day.., if only for their ano jobs. 10 month wait list though)
- Mosaic (super clean welds, beautiful paint, can turn around in about 7-8 weeks apparently)
- Independant Fabrication (again super welds and paint... the guys from Firefly started there)
- Lynskey (been round for ages, they know how to make great frames and probably the most affordable of the bunch)
- Moots (again been round for ages, have made great frames for a long time)
- Seven (very popular in the states and can be found pretty affordable... but have heard of issues when ordering custom geo)
- FortyFour (small independant... but super clean strong welds, worth considering)

Or italian made:
Legend (but that queen might be a tad over the 10k mark)
Passoni (don't know too much but they look sweet)

Also Ritte (do a beautiful Stainless Steel job too, with great paint schemes)

But if you want a carbon... whatever... just buy a HongFu or whatever.. I have an FM098 too and it goes great.
Last edited by mmc22 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:08 pm

If you like Orbea, have you considered their high-end frameset / bike?

With the amount of coin you're looking at, I'm sure you'll get something that ticks all the boxes for you - great position to be in - good luck on the search.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

crog

Postby crog » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:14 pm

How about a Llewellyn he does stel custom, wins awards and some of his show piece frames go for $10K alone

http://www.llewellynbikes.com

Happy shopping but go custom to be a little different

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Cervelo R5 2014 or 2015 model. I have recently bought one and highly recommend it. I also have a cervelo S5 VWD which is quick but not suited to the type of riding you do.
the R5 is an all day bike which is stiff enough for the pro pelaton yet with the thin chain stays it makes it comfy. the frame weighs about 800 grams. the wheels that come with the bike are ordinary but with your budget you could easily fit in an upgrade of wheels like fulcrum zeros. I put zipp 303s on mine and love it :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:27 pm

Guys...

Thank you for the great replies so far. I had given thought to a Ti bike previously and think that would be a good option but I find the flowing lines of carbon more attractive. I am not necessarily worried about being different or the same as the pack, I am more interested in being happy with the bike myself. I don't mind that I end up with a bike that someone else has as long as I am happy with my bike :D

Although I don't race or do 500km a week I feel that I do have some appreciation and understanding for feel and handling. I did single out the Tarmac characteristics because they probably match my riding style and preference but that bike is proving difficult to find a frame in my size and colouring that I like which is why I thought I would field the question here to see what new ideas might pop up.

I am now looking at the Venge which is built more for racing than weekend riding - BUT I gotta say it looks good and I bet I could be happy riding it. Any thoughts or comments from current owners of venge?

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:32 pm

the venge has an aggressive set up built for racing.
Cervelo R5

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:35 pm

ni78ck wrote:Cervelo R5 2014 or 2015 model. I have recently bought one and highly recommend it. I also have a cervelo S5 VWD which is quick but not suited to the type of riding you do.
the R5 is an all day bike which is stiff enough for the pro pelaton yet with the thin chain stays it makes it comfy. the frame weighs about 800 grams. the wheels that come with the bike are ordinary but with your budget you could easily fit in an upgrade of wheels like fulcrum zeros. I put zipp 303s on mine and love it :)
The Cervelos look interesting

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:37 pm

ni78ck wrote:the venge has an aggressive set up built for racing.
Do you ride one? If so do you think it is too aggressive therefore just not suited for weekend riding?

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't own one but have ridden 1 and yes its aggressive, even more so than my S5.
if you like specialized the tarmac is a better option. so many great bikes out there these days!
Cervelo R5

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:15 pm

If I was spending $10k there'd be no-way I'd be dropping it on a cookie cutter special.

Have a look at Calfee
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Pick your top 5 and test ride mate, only way to go. Everyone will have a different opinion, own a different brand etc.

My 2c - BMC SLR01 / Di2 / Zipp404s

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:22 pm

I have a Venge and love it. It is a great racing bike which was my main purpose for it, but I personally find it fine for weekend riding. If you do all day rides over 100kms, it can do it (Ihave done >200), but there are more comfortable choices. I personally find the wheels/tyres make more of a difference to this than the frames on my bikes. I like the looks of it, and I noticed an improvement in responsiveness and acceleration compared to my old bike. Handles very well (same geometry is tarmac?), and is very quick when giving it a hit out. It also is no slouch on the climbs though review will try and tell you it is due to being a few hundred grams heavier than a tarmac.

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:27 pm

lock_

Postby lock_ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Not sure where you're based, but Specialized have their demo day in Melbourne scheduled for early Oct. Other states will no doubt be around the same period. It's an excellent opportunity to see these bikes in the flesh, and go for a proper test ride.

I've an SL4 SWorks tarmac, so I'll just leave my heavily biased opinion out of this.

In 5 years time I'd expect disc brakes to be more common than not, something to keep in mind. Then you've got power meters and electronic shifting that would fit in your budget.

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Chinese website. Surely these are knock offs.....
Last edited by reflex101 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 pm

lock_ wrote:Not sure where you're based, but Specialized have their demo day in Melbourne scheduled for early Oct. Other states will no doubt be around the same period. It's an excellent opportunity to see these bikes in the flesh, and go for a proper test ride.

I've an SL4 SWorks tarmac, so I'll just leave my heavily biased opinion out of this.

In 5 years time I'd expect disc brakes to be more common than not, something to keep in mind. Then you've got power meters and electronic shifting that would fit in your budget.
I'm in Sydney.

I have visited a specialized concept store, the guys were very helpful and I could get hold of a venge for a test ride but since my last post I did a bit more reading and now doubt that the venge is the right bike for me. I started out looking at the Tarmac and the only reason I'm changing is because of supply issues.

I'm not sold on Di2, why mess with a system that works really well by adding electronics (even if it is only servos and batteries) and disc on a road bike is overkill and looks all wrong.

A demo day in Sydney would be great, wonder how I can find out?

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:49 pm

vosadrian wrote:I have a Venge and love it. It is a great racing bike which was my main purpose for it, but I personally find it fine for weekend riding. If you do all day rides over 100kms, it can do it (Ihave done >200), but there are more comfortable choices. I personally find the wheels/tyres make more of a difference to this than the frames on my bikes. I like the looks of it, and I noticed an improvement in responsiveness and acceleration compared to my old bike. Handles very well (same geometry is tarmac?), and is very quick when giving it a hit out. It also is no slouch on the climbs though review will try and tell you it is due to being a few hundred grams heavier than a tarmac.
I agree they look great, congrats on a very nice bike.

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:51 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Pick your top 5 and test ride mate, only way to go. Everyone will have a different opinion, own a different brand etc.

Have not really looked at the BMC but should check them out. Good enough for Cadel......

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 pm

reflex101 wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:Pick your top 5 and test ride mate, only way to go. Everyone will have a different opinion, own a different brand etc.

Have not really looked at the BMC but should check them out. Good enough for Cadel......
The riders don't choose the bikes teams use. The bike manufacturers sponsor the teams by supplying their product as a marketing tool. Cadel would have won the TdF in 2011 on any reputable brand bike.

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:03 pm

But the bmc was still good enough.

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:09 pm

Since the preference is for mechanical DA (good choice if you're a DIY type) then I'd keep looking at custom, it should be easily within budget. Calfee was already suggested and Parlee is another if looking at carbon.
Personally, I'd go for Ti, something like a Baum would do it for me. Or maybe a Speedvagen.