New bike purchase

Space Cadet

New bike purchase

Postby Space Cadet » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi all, first post here in what seems a really friendly and helpful place. I am looking to buy a good road bike. My athletics and cricket background has caught up with me and I now have problematic knees. It has been suggested many times by the medical types I have seen that I should get into bike riding because the conditioning in my legs will help me out. I hope that sounds true?

I've had bikes all my life but nothing special to speak of. I want something I won't have to upgrade for a while. I am already learning about trade offs between frames and components and the like. Anyway, in my early research I like the look of the 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 0. It is probably a little more than I thought I would be spending, but I really like the overall package that is this bike, so I am happy to pay up if you think this is worth the $4500 price tag. It seems from this level you have to start paying big money for small upgrades, so I probably don't want to go above this price tag for now.

The other thing, I reckon the black and blue scheme looks fantastic, so that's another reason I am into this bike. Any thoughts to help me out are greatly appreciated.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... /#overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duck!
Expert

Re: New bike purchase

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with that package, definitely no need to upgrade any of that for a while. I emphasise "need", because it's a common affliction to want to upgrade bits, even on a very good bike. :wink:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi mate, you have extremely good taste. If I was starting out again thats the bike I would be buying. Great components, great looks and right up there with modern technology. I'd be going a black saddle and black bar tape rather than the white. I'm sure the shop could accommodate that for free and stick a pair of black Speedplay light action pedals on it (speedplays are just the best for dodgy knees) and you are set. I reckon you can shop around a bit and hopefully pick one up a lot cheaper than $4500. I'm thinking $3500 to $4000.

Anyway good luck and hope it all works out.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Welcome to the world of problematic knees :) And to the world of cycling. My knee surgeon told me that you wouldn't find too many knee surgeons who didn't ride a bike as it was the best thing for them. In my case, after surgery on both last year, riding and walking (slowly building up distance) have been invaluable. And a few choice physio exercises thrown in there.

Nice bike you are considering. Definitely try to get it cheaper. Personally I would look at one of the lesser models - I don't need electronic shifting and could make do with 105 easily enough.

Space Cadet

Postby Space Cadet » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:23 pm

It's good to know I am doing the right thing by my knees in getting into riding, that was something I was looking for. Plus happy to discover how negotiable these prices are, that's a good thing.

Cost is not too much of a concern, I just want something I will really enjoy, and not start lusting after another bike straight away. I am happy to pay up for better components, and just wanted to confirm that my bike choice is a good one.

It does surprise me though that you can't buy a frame/colour scheme and then load it up with whatever components you want. That would seem logical, but Giant don't seem to do that.
2015 Giant Defy Advance Pro 0

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:28 pm

You'll find it's not just Giant; most manufacturers do the same thing. They'll take one frame, but fit different levels of running gear to define the model level, and give each one a different colour scheme to identify them.

thejester

Postby thejester » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Space Cadet wrote: just want something I will really enjoy, and not start lusting after another bike straight away.
ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Inconceivable!!!
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 am

If you take the bike for a test ride and it feels great buy it, when you look at it and it makes you glad you bought it there is no greater incentive to get out and ride it
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 am

rjk wrote:If you take the bike for a test ride and it feels great buy it, when you look at it and it makes you glad you bought it there is no greater incentive to get out and ride it
+100

Space Cadet

Postby Space Cadet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:32 pm

I hear what you are saying about having a good looking bike, but honestly to me most of these new bikes look pretty cool.

I am in Melbourne today with some spare time so I went into a bike store. They would have had 50 Giant road bikes, but not one Defy, so that was a pity. I got to ask a few questions though and when it came to price I mentioned that it was suggested on this forum that the price is negotiable. He said he hated this website because it made his life difficult with everyone asking for discounts. It was a strange reaction. He asked when I wanted to buy the bike, but I said I wasn't interested until I could ride one. So he wouldn't talk to me after that.

My question, how realistic is it to get a new release $4500 bike for $3500 to $4000 when this guy wouldn't move one cent on the price. If I have to pay full price that's ok, I just want to have a good idea of what is achievable.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Space Cadet wrote:I hear what you are saying about having a good looking bike, but honestly to me most of these new bikes look pretty cool.

I am in Melbourne today with some spare time so I went into a bike store. They would have had 50 Giant road bikes, but not one Defy, so that was a pity. I got to ask a few questions though and when it came to price I mentioned that it was suggested on this forum that the price is negotiable. He said he hated this website because it made his life difficult with everyone asking for discounts. It was a strange reaction. He asked when I wanted to buy the bike, but I said I wasn't interested until I could ride one. So he wouldn't talk to me after that.

My question, how realistic is it to get a new release $4500 bike for $3500 to $4000 when this guy wouldn't move one cent on the price. If I have to pay full price that's ok, I just want to have a good idea of what is achievable.
If they haven't one in stock and it is a current item,it is unrealistic to bargain for one, I would say. Maybe check out last years stock on the internet and get a better deal on that.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Space Cadet wrote: He said he hated this website because it made his life difficult with everyone asking for discounts. It was a strange reaction. He asked when I wanted to buy the bike, but I said I wasn't interested until I could ride one. So he wouldn't talk to me after that.
Damn these internets and informed customers... Next shop...

A good salesperson will make you feel like they're giving you the best deal they can, will try and find other options that you might want to consider, and convince you that it's worth buying through that shop regardless of price. These salespeople are highly valued by employers and not only secure more sales from casual browsers, but bring in customers recommended by the people they've interacted with.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Space Cadet wrote:I hear what you are saying about having a good looking bike, but honestly to me most of these new bikes look pretty cool.

Sounds like a complete knob to me. Yeah forget that shop. Lots more of them out there. Another idiot giving the LBS's a bad name. Stick with it, you will find a good one. You want something a little local and someone that you can talk to them easy. Always better to pay a couple of hundred more with a really good bloke that shows you all the stuff and you are comfortable with. Also someone who can show you all the handy repair tips and maintenance.

Maybe $3500 for something that new might be pushing it but don't pay any more than $4000 - surely they can move to $4000. Make sure you get lots of stuff thrown in for free (make a list of what you need beforehand) - that's usually a gimme with a new bike purchase if they can't move much on price.

Edit: maybe check on Bike exchange to see who's got them in stock at the moment .. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Space Cadet

Postby Space Cadet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks guys. Rodney, I just had some spare time in Melbourne so thought I would have a look around. I will buy close to home in Newcastle where there is a plethora of bike shops. After talking to a few different people now I am feeling pretty good about my bike choice. I will keep your price guide in mind though.

Space Cadet

Postby Space Cadet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Thought I would pass on some information I learned today. I was on the phone to my local shop in Newcastle all afternoon, they were extremely helpful and friendly people. Anyway the Advance Pro 0 won't hit Australia until 2 weeks before Christmas. The dealer said after only one month of the season almost all of the Defy Advance and Advance Pro bikes have been allocated for the next year. He said Giant are panicking and are working with the factory to find a way to build more.

Unfortunately with the limited availability and popularity of these models the dealer said his allocation would get snapped up well before they arrived at the shop for me to test ride. So the only way to secure one was put a deposit down over the phone which got me on the list. The good news though is that they are a Giant preferred dealer, well that's what he told me, which meant they had better pricing, so I got the bike for $3999 which I think is great. He was quite apologetic about the whole situation and not having the opportunity to get a test ride, but they are the cards we have been dealt.

Didn't wake up this morning thinking I would buy a bike today, but I am very happy how it turned out. Thanks all for your input, you have helped me out considerably.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:02 pm

lobstermash wrote: A good salesperson will make you feel like they're giving you the best deal they can, will try and find other options that you might want to consider, and convince you that it's worth buying through that shop regardless of price.
Space Cadet wrote: I was on the phone to my local shop in Newcastle all afternoon, they were extremely helpful and friendly people. The good news though is that they are a Giant preferred dealer, well that's what he told me, which meant they had better pricing, so I got the bike for $3999 which I think is great. He was quite apologetic about the whole situation and not having the opportunity to get a test ride, but they are the cards we have been dealt.

Didn't wake up this morning thinking I would buy a bike today, but I am very happy how it turned out.
And that's how it's done... Hope the bike arrives much sooner than anticipated. The wait is always the hardest part.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:30 pm

Yes it is pushing things a bit far to expect nearly 25% off the RRP on a completely new, barely-released model (the Defy range is completely revised from the 2012-14 series). Another thing the "informed" customers don't realise is that percentage-wise, the difference between wholesale & RRP decreases significantly as the value of the bikes goes up - while a high-end sale is good for cash flow, the shop doesn't actually make an astounding profit off that sale.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Not so sure about that timeline especially since Cmm has already got his Defy Advanced pro 2 already by the looks...

Then again Cmm might have a direct line in with the Giant gods (He has a lot of Giant bikes!).

Here it is..

viewtopic.php?t=61852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:21 am

Duck! wrote:Yes it is pushing things a bit far to expect nearly 25% off the RRP on a completely new, barely-released model (the Defy range is completely revised from the 2012-14 series). Another thing the "informed" customers don't realise is that percentage-wise, the difference between wholesale & RRP decreases significantly as the value of the bikes goes up - while a high-end sale is good for cash flow, the shop doesn't actually make an astounding profit off that sale.
This is correct - I was told the same thing in my LBS... just before he closed down. He said he made more $$ on selling a $5-800 bike than a $5-8000 one. And the customers for the cheaper bikes were much easier to deal with.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

Poor old bike salesman... You're kidding right! Some of them are no better than used car salesmen. Its usually the same sales game being played out. My heart just bleeds - not.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 am

Space Cadet wrote:Thought I would pass on some information I learned today. I was on the phone to my local shop in Newcastle all afternoon, they were extremely helpful and friendly people. Anyway the Advance Pro 0 won't hit Australia until 2 weeks before Christmas. The dealer said after only one month of the season almost all of the Defy Advance and Advance Pro bikes have been allocated for the next year. He said Giant are panicking and are working with the factory to find a way to build more.

Unfortunately with the limited availability and popularity of these models the dealer said his allocation would get snapped up well before they arrived at the shop for me to test ride. So the only way to secure one was put a deposit down over the phone which got me on the list. The good news though is that they are a Giant preferred dealer, well that's what he told me, which meant they had better pricing, so I got the bike for $3999 which I think is great. He was quite apologetic about the whole situation and not having the opportunity to get a test ride, but they are the cards we have been dealt.

Didn't wake up this morning thinking I would buy a bike today, but I am very happy how it turned out. Thanks all for your input, you have helped me out considerably.
Yes I was also told 12 weeks for the Advanced Pro models when I asked a week or so ago. That's a good discount (11%) you received for a brand new model with no stock.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:39 am

rodneycc wrote:Poor old bike salesman... You're kidding right! Some of them are no better than used car salesmen. Its usually the same sales game being played out. My heart just bleeds - not.
Don't give me that bull. I'm sure in your industry you'd be pretty peeved if you gave a customer a price & they tried to screw your entire profit margin off you.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 am

Duck! wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Poor old bike salesman... You're kidding right! Some of them are no better than used car salesmen. Its usually the same sales game being played out. My heart just bleeds - not.
Don't give me that bull. I'm sure in your industry you'd be pretty peeved if you gave a customer a price & they tried to screw your entire profit margin off you.
Its all love and war with Sales people in my opinion. I probably shouldn't paint all sales people with the same brush but sometimes I can't help it after being stung a couple of times with different stuff. Real Estate Agents, Car Salesmen and Bike salesmen really there is not much difference there if they are working off a commission. They earn a living by screwing people over to get that commission. I just couldn't do that job.

There Sales people who are on a set salary like in the bigger bike shops I find are much better as are some rare sales people out there like the thejester who almost works it like a hobby and their main intent is to helping out people. The guy at my LBS who does my servicing and also a little bit of sales is a bit like that too and I respect those types of people. But the guy that Spacey ran into in Melbourne is the more typical sales person, he knew he wouldn't get the sale so he fobbed him off without even helping him.

And my last point before I jump down off my soapbox is RRP. its fair game for a 10% discount off RRP on all sales in my opinion. I've applied this principal in Car buying, Real Estate, even TV's like at the Good Guys.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:37 am

Hey Space Cadet, Did you order a certain size? Or did you know what size you were after. How did that work? Or are they going to order a few sizes in and you are going to be fitted to one of them when the bikes come in. Its really, really important getting the size right on a road bike. It can really make or break it so ask those questions with your LBS if you haven't already and get the fitting exactly right and it will make all the difference to your enjoyment.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 am

rodneycc wrote: Its all love and war with Sales people in my opinion.
I'm with you on that. Let's not pretend that business is charity. Their job is to get the maximum profit they can from you, fixed wage or no - who's going to keep sales staff who can only sell products at low margins?

By the way, I haven't been in to the store when jester's been there, but I've been extremely underwhelmed by that establishment on every occasion I've gone there, both when it's busy and when it's quiet.