Next (N+1) Bike recommendations - all rounder

Roub

Next (N+1) Bike recommendations - all rounder

Postby Roub » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:06 pm

I'm mainly an MTB'er and have a dually, HT and a SS. My current roadie is a Roubaix which does a great job at all rounder roadie, but the speed/stiffness addiction is calling and I'm thinking to replace the Roubaix with my next bike for the road looks to be a Tarmac. Thing is I wont want to ride a Tarmac all the time (gravel roads, touring and the odd commute, but wet weather rides on the road)

So what is a good choice for a flexible cheap all rounder? So far I am looking for a used Crux disc, but the more I am looking at them the more they seem to be pitched at 'racey'. Are they too aggressive geo for commuting and longer touring rides? Seems maybe they are Tarmac for the CX, which may nt be practical for an all rounder.

I see Specialized are pitching the Diverge at the segment I'm perhaps more looking to purchase. But being a new model, I wont find a used one to keep costs down.

Suggestions?

Prefer carbon frame and MUST have disc brakes

Calvin27

Re: Next (N+1) Bike recommendations - all rounder

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Umm sounds like the roubaix meets your needs? It is flexible but not aggressive geometry.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Roub

Postby Roub » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Sorry perhaps didn't explain well enough - looking to be able to do gravel riding, bike paths, touring so the Roubaix not that flexible. Want to fit 30+c tyres and have disc brakes.

The new Tarmac will also be disc equipped and will replace the Roubaix as my dedicated tarmac rig

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 am

Sounds like you have just answered your own question. CX is the way to go I have a Boardman CX pro and it is a great all rounder
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Roub

Postby Roub » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 am

True, but wondering if CX bikes are a bit 'racey' in regards to geometry for longer riding? The Diverge seems to be a cross between a CX and a Roubaix, but too new to get cheap. Cant see any other manufacturers with a similar bike?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 am

Roub wrote:True, but wondering if CX bikes are a bit 'racey' in regards to geometry for longer riding? The Diverge seems to be a cross between a CX and a Roubaix, but too new to get cheap. Cant see any other manufacturers with a similar bike?
It depends on the bike. For example, my Cooper CX has a more relaxed geometry compared to the pure racing CX frame (pro cross). Mine is perfect for commuting and light touring with a longer head tube.

I don't know what is out there in a non-Ti frame though.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 pm

My 2013 Secteur takes up to 38C no worries. I think the diverge is the replacement name for the sectuer. The website says 2014 Diverge can take up to 35c. Looking at the geometry, the diverge is a little less aggressive with shorter ETT and longer stack. About 2cm more forstack height and 1cm for reach, so nothing that can't be fixed with stem selection. I would go the crux.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike