Modern steel road bikes?

silentC

Re: Modern steel road bikes?

Postby silentC » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm quite taken by that bike. Definitely looks better with the white bar tape - matching collar and cuffs :)

Wanna sell it?

Only joking, got no money :(
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:41 pm

silentC wrote:I'm quite taken by that bike. Definitely looks better with the white bar tape - matching collar and cuffs :)

Wanna sell it?

Only joking, got no money :(
Sorry- has my heart , soul and credit card invested in it- and I love it- is the fastest/most comfortable bike to date for me.

crog

Postby crog » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Could drop $9K on the frame alone or $12K for the bike

Llewellyn Lucentezza

Award winner! Ciruqe 2007 Best in Show. Never ridden. 2007 Record, Handbuilt wheels. Handcut stainless steel lugs. Only available as a complete bike. Sloping Top Tube Geometry 46/52cm X 55cm

$12268.00AUD (Includes GST)

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 am

Mercian Cycles in the UK do custom frames at a pretty reasonable price. Starting at Gbp 700. Shipping is about 120 more I think. Still a decent price for a top end custom frame.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:42 am

There are plenty of very nice NOS Coppi frames on eBay, reasonably priced and would build up nicely with a silver Athena groupset. Quite few other brands to if you like a retro look.

This one f'instance is quite tasty...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

HamSandwich

Postby HamSandwich » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Hmm, I wasn't subscribed to this thread it seems - thanks for all the responses!

I'll have a look at some of the other locally available bikes. I'm in Adelaide and have looked at bringing things in from overseas but it doesn't seem the most cost effective exercise (does $500+ sound right?).

I've been trying to track down a Salsa Colossal 2 to look at, but it seems nobody has the 2014 Colossal on hand and the 2015 model is due in Jan/Feb. If anybody owns/has ridden either the Colossal or Vaya I'd be keen on their thoughts.

Verytalldude

Postby Verytalldude » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:40 pm

In touring class: Fuji Touring ($900-$1100), Jamis Aurora Elite ($1100-$1400), and some local manufacturer in Melbourne, sorry forgot their name

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:35 pm

I have a 2009 Kona Kapu & a 2013 Jamis Eclipse. Love both bikes. Kona is the commuter & cobbles bike. Jamis is the 'nice' roadie & climber. I note Kona are bringing back the Kapu for 2015.

I acquired the Eclipse this year from the USA. Costly exercise compared to getting a bike from the UK, mainly due to shipping costs. Hard to find a production steel frame with good components in Oz, whilst is carbon (or alu) they're everywhere.

Matt

HamSandwich

Postby HamSandwich » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:09 pm

MattyP wrote: Hard to find a production steel frame with good components in Oz, whilst is carbon (or alu) they're everywhere.
My experience exactly. A Surly, Salsa or similar will set me back $2500+, yet for $1800 I can have a carbon Cannondale with components of a higher spec.

Looks like the Charge Plug 4 will be in stock at Wiggle soon though, I may go down that route. Anybody own/ridden a Charge?

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:14 pm

HamSandwich wrote:
MattyP wrote: Hard to find a production steel frame with good components in Oz, whilst is carbon (or alu) they're everywhere.
My experience exactly. A Surly, Salsa or similar will set me back $2500+, yet for $1800 I can have a carbon Cannondale with components of a higher spec.

Looks like the Charge Plug 4 will be in stock at Wiggle soon though, I may go down that route. Anybody own/ridden a Charge?
Good mate bought a Charge through Wiggle a few years ago. He's happy with it. I'll ask him to comment or pass his thoughts on to me.

Both the Jamis & Kona had rrp's of over $3k with Ultegra groupsets. This setup can be found cheaper if one doesn't want steel ....

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:57 am

I've been very happy with my Masi speciale cx over the past 4-5 years. Rock solid bike and so versatile. Audax, commuting, touring. Mind you I did get infected with upgraditis after purchasing that.

New models pretty sure they are US pricing and the new models are yet to filter to stores here. Few masi on bikeexchange.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Linus Libertine is distributed by Dirtworks - http://www.linusbike.com.au/products/the-libertine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - for around $1000.

Has to be the most retro of the retos.