What are the sales tends when shopping for new bikes?

newblah

What are the sales tends when shopping for new bikes?

Postby newblah » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 am

Hi all

I am looking at purchasing a new road bike between the $3,500-$5000 mark $AUD.

Currently there are still a few 2014 models in my size floating around and I seem to have found some good deals, but am also questioning whether I should just hold out a bit longer and wait a potential sale along Christmsa time to pick up a 2015 model at a decent price.

So far I have seen that around Tour De France time every LBS in my area seems to have massive sales on, along the 20% off mark. Is this an occurrence that happens around other times as well? Can I expect prices on new 2015 stock to drop at all around Christmas for example?

I currently have my eyes on a cannondale evo 3 ultegra 2014 which I'll be test riding on the weekend. My LBS has it for $2,850, I can see it at other places in Australia on bikeexchange at around $2,400. Judging by some of the listings that haven't had their prices dropped this bike used to fetch $3,899 when it was the current model. Just not sure if I should go for the 2014 model or hang tight for the 2015 cannondale evo carbon ultegra to come down in price a bit too.

cheers

defy1

Re: What are the sales tends when shopping for new bikes?

Postby defy1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:53 am

I believe Sept-October is the time

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 am

July/TdF time is around the time current-season models are starting to run out to make way for the new variants, which usually start to appear around August-September. It's also a time when shops need to encourage bikes to get out the door 'cos it's always a tight time of year.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 am

newblah wrote:So far I have seen that around Tour De France time every LBS in my area seems to have massive sales on, along the 20% off mark. Is this an occurrence that happens around other times as well?
Maybe it's just me, but if you are a serious buyer, I feel that you should be able to wrangle 20 - 25% off a new bike at any time of year - regardless of whether its TdF / sale period... Perhaps with the exception of a brand new model that has juuuuust been released.

It's maybe a matter of principle, but I wouldnt be paying full ticket price for any bike, at any time of the year. Half of the fun is in the negotiation and wheeling & dealing.

Kicking things off during the sale period just means you are starting with a lower ticket price, but you might not get the same % off of that price... But I would still be wanting something off the already sale price.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:12 pm

Everything is moving to 11Speed and Disc, I'd get in on that.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Lynskey is doing their 2014 runout now. Some truly mad prices for full builds and frame sets!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

newblah

Postby newblah » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Dirty32 wrote:
newblah wrote:Maybe it's just me, but if you are a serious buyer, I feel that you should be able to wrangle 20 - 25% off a new bike at any time of year - regardless of whether its TdF / sale period... Perhaps with the exception of a brand new model that has juuuuust been released.
I am always a huge bargain hunter but for some reason feel bad about hounding my LBS for a decent deal haha.

I will see on Saturday if I can get them to pricematch this: http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102523020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it rides well on the test ride and I can get it near that price it seems to be a done deal!

Judging by the spec pages on 2014 and 2015 hardly anything has changed?
http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2014/b ... -3-ultegra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/b ... -3-ultegra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:18 pm

if its your local bike shop and you have made purchases from them previously they should price match, mine did :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2