best flat bar disc brake road/commuter

fluff63

best flat bar disc brake road/commuter

Postby fluff63 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:37 am

Hi All you experts out there. I am moving from a 8km to a 20 km commute and looking to upgrade the MTB with slicks to something quicker. Most of the commute is off road bike path but the last bit is central melbourne. I try to ride in all conditions so looking for disc brakes and something that will take mud guards. Looking to spend in the $2000 range frame size small. All advice gratefully accepted.

Red Rider

Re: best flat bar disc brake road/commuter

Postby Red Rider » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Not much of an expert but i can get the wheel rolling. This market is evolving quickly at the moment. The serious commuter is really still finding its feet. For example, it is hard to find a carbon frame flat bar disc brake bike that takes serious mud guards.

I currently ride a Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc, which I find great for my needs, but I think you're a bit more serious about the speed you're after. The wheels are pretty heavy and a carbon frame will fit your budget. Have a look at the Sirrus Expert Carbon Disc, it has a Roubaix style frame with 105 running gear. I think you'd need to install road based mud guards on it such as Crud Road Racer MKII. And ditch the tyres for something faster, they weigh heaps and are hard compound.

Another one to look at is the Giant Fastroad Comax 1. Similar to the Sirrus, though the geometry looks more relaxed, more mountain bike style. Same story with the mudguards as the Sirrus.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 am

For a commuter I would be reluctant to go carbon for the sake of reliability/lifetime and theft appeal. I'd budget maybe $1500 for the bike off the rack and $500 for accessories (mudguards, lights, pedals, tyres, etc).

Also for that distance I'd probably go for a drop bar bike rather than a flat bar.
Something like:
http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/ci ... /crossrip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or this:
http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Brunsw ... cross-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:41 am

MattyK wrote:For a commuter I would be reluctant to go carbon for the sake of reliability/lifetime and theft appeal. I'd budget maybe $1500 for the bike off the rack and $500 for accessories (mudguards, lights, pedals, tyres, etc).

Also for that distance I'd probably go for a drop bar bike rather than a flat bar.
Something like:
http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/ci ... /crossrip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or this:
http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Brunsw ... cross-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is sound advice IMO. They are alot of bike for the money :o :D
Aim for a dyno hub front wheel upgrade and luxos u headlight at some point too. Along with mudguards, the best/essential bit of commuter gear there is
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 pm

20km is a decent but not particularly far distance to commute and I'd be reluctant to go more than $1000 for a flat bar commuter because of it being left outside during working hours. I personally don't see spending more than $1000 on a commuting bike for 20 km as good use of resources. However, we are all different. If you need to spend more, have you considered a CX type bike which would be able to take guards and a pannier? I think that would serve you better and be more adaptable than looking for the holy grail of carbon fibre. Something along the lines of this (not a recommendation): http://www.pmcycles.com.au/cannondale_caadx_disc_5_105_(2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It should be robust enough to take your route profile, take guards, a pannier and give speed when necessary. Having had a brief look on the internet, I think you could get a decent CX bike for between $1000 to $1500.

Just my 2 cents.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Yeah another vote for the Cell Brunswick. I haven't really seen it in the flesh so just going on the hype but sounds like the ideal bike for your purpose. Just wish it was shimano rather than the sram components...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

fluff63

Postby fluff63 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 pm

thanks for all the advice, i like the look of the trek crossrip ltd and the cell brunswick. the secondary brake levers on the trek for when you are sitting up in traffic seem a good idea. I have never ridden a sram fitted bike how does it compare to shimano and what level should I be looking for?

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 am

Bmc ac01. No idea what they're worth but they look cool. Bit heavy though.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 am

fluff63 wrote:thanks for all the advice, i like the look of the trek crossrip ltd and the cell brunswick. the secondary brake levers on the trek for when you are sitting up in traffic seem a good idea. I have never ridden a sram fitted bike how does it compare to shimano and what level should I be looking for?
Those are just a couple of examples, there are heaps more if you don't want to change to SRAM. Most cyclocross bikes for example, with maybe a change to slick tyres.
Apollo Giro Disc Hi Viz.
Avanti Giro AR
Giant Defy range now includes a lot of disc brakes
etc...

The interrupter (secondary) brake levers can be added to any bike if not already fitted.

As for SRAM, roughly speaking:
Red ~ Dura Ace
Force ~ Ultegra
Rival ~ 105
Apex ~ Tiagra

my brother prefers the SRAM actuation, it takes very little time to adapt to, but I like Shimano's ability to brake and downshift by pulling the lever and simultaneously pushing it sideways. A bit trickier to do that on SRAM I found.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Kona Jake is great value, especially if like the colour.
Took my first ride on the weekend and it feels very responsive considering if still on stock tyres.

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Carbon flat bar with disc brakes

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 942/76664/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

liamw

Postby liamw » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:33 pm

I have had an Orbea Carpe H10 for the past twelve months that I have been pretty happy with - flat bar with hydraulic disc brakes, triple chain ring (26-36-48) and an 11-36 10 speed cassette. Cost me $1350 new. Alloy, but if you want carbon then Orbea have a couple of Carpe's further up the range that come with that.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:32 pm

I have been eyeballing the Fastroad Comax for about six months now as a replacemernt for my Giant CRX3. I like the idea of the comfort provided by a carbon fibre frame and the notion of discs is appealing as well. The one sticking point is the 105 groupset and I was thinking about asking the bike shop if a triple chainring was possible with the 105.
I might have a look at that Orbea Carpe but it would have to be pretty good to toss the Giant, just on pricing alone. The Fastroad looks pretty good at $1800.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:29 pm

I was looking at the Comax too. But it was still very new in the market 6 mths back and there wasn't a lot of feedback/reviews on it.
(I ended up with an Argon18 flat bar commuter because I decided to go commuting cheaply first then upgrade later .. lol)

Anyway, you should also take a look at the Specialized Sirrus Carbon.

Oh .. and the Focus Planet <-- with Shimano Alfine + belt drive. :D

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:36 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:I have been eyeballing the Fastroad Comax for about six months now as a replacemernt for my Giant CRX3. (snip) The one sticking point is the 105 groupset and I was thinking about asking the bike shop if a triple chainring was possible with the 105.
No. The new 5800-series 105 does not have a triple option. With five chainring combinations and three cassettes (six if you add in the extra ranges available in Ultegra and Dura-Ace) up to 11-32, there's little need for a triple.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am

wgc138 wrote:Kona Jake is great value, especially if like the colour.
Took my first ride on the weekend and it feels very responsive considering if still on stock tyres.
Was wondering when someone would mention Kona :)

My Honky Inc (current equivalent would be the Rove) is pretty close to the perfect commuter.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

chachi

Postby chachi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:39 pm

I was looking at the Comax 1, really wanted a CX bike with flat bars, is the Comax 1 fairly durable?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:01 pm

http://www.amartsports.com.au/Product/B ... om=5040935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;