Is a lack of interior cabling odd on a $3,500 bike?

newblah

Is a lack of interior cabling odd on a $3,500 bike?

Postby newblah » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:21 am

Hi all.

I am looking at a 2014/2015 Cannondale Supersix Ultegra at the moment.

Seen here:
http://media.cannondale.com/media/catal ... 192875.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2014/b ... -3-ultegra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/b ... -3-ultegra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I frequently need to carry the bike on a towball-mounted bike rack on my car, does it seem likely that the cables would become damage or would rub against the frame and cause it to leave marks? I am loving this bike but it seems quite odd that on such a nice frame they decided to not run internal cabling!

thanks

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Is a lack of interior cabling odd on a $3,500 bike?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:31 am

cf frame on a towball carrier?
I'd be getting one of those bar thingies that clamp between stem and post and clamp that to the carrier.
Oh wait, I have one...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 pm

As above. Clamping carbon frames like that makes baby Jesus cry.
When I was a kid we used to wrap a soft cloth under the cables, they were steel bikes though.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Odd? Not at all. It's usually only found in high end bikes. It is becoming increasingly common on middling bikes with electronic shifting, but far from standard.

If you use a clamp-tyre rack on a CF frame you have more than scratches to worry about. Use a two-arm rack like this Thule, which has soft rubber cups with grooves for the cables.

Last edited by RonK on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:58 pm

I fear this not with my alloy framed MTB.

If you're a bike mechanic, you appreciate the external cabling.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Isn't that what the back seat's for? :?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:47 pm

You do not want to clamp on the top tube or any tube on a carbon bike. That's not the way they are designed to work :!:

While external cables aren't necessarily uncommon, the reason you go internal is aesthetics and the reason you go carbon is because you aren't concerned about spending a couple of bucks to ensure you are using the right carrier for the job. Alloy doesn't punish you for bad carrier choice, but it punishes you on the hills ;)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:22 pm

^ Only if you're soft... ;-)

newblah

Postby newblah » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:27 pm

I have a two-arm bike rack similar to the one pictured. The exterior cables will still be lying below the top part of the bike frame.

Are those two-arm bike racks still a problem to transport carbon frames? I presume it is only the single-clamp bike racks that are a problem? Surely the 7.5kg bicycle lying on top of two arms, strapped down so it can't move anywhere won't be an issue

Dai

Postby Dai » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:21 pm

newblah wrote:Are those two-arm bike racks still a problem to transport carbon frames? I presume it is only the single-clamp bike racks that are a problem? Surely the 7.5kg bicycle lying on top of two arms, strapped down so it can't move anywhere won't be an issue
Correct.

Clamps are generally a bad idea with CF bikes, but there's no need to be too paranoid.

The problem is the clamping force, not the supporting of the bike by the frame. So the Thule rack above with the rubber cradles is fine, because the only additional pressure is from the rubber strap. It's not actually clamping as such. I've also regularly transported a carbon bike on one of these racks:

You need to be a bit more careful, but again, the clamps are flexible rubber and the bike is supported by it's wheels, so there is no need to tighten it any more than finger tight. Both of the above are a better idea than the frame adapter.

I know too many people that have had bikes fall out (or partially fall out) of these:

What you ABSOLUTELY DON'T WANT is one of these:
which require you to tighten the frame substantially in order to stop the bike swinging.

Dai

Postby Dai » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:29 pm

These racks are actually pretty awesome if you are paranoid about cable routing, because you can rotate the cradles to give you a lot of flexibility. E.g the rear support can go under the top tube, but strap onto the down tube. It can also go under the rear seat stays and strap to the down tube, so depending on bike size and cable routing you have a lot of flexibility.

The main downside of these racks is that they can be a bit challenging to get two bikes onto - although to be fair, multiple bikes on most bike racks is a bit like playing twister.

Image[/quote]

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Excellent rack and built by a forum member.
A friend who runs Lcool

http://www.isi-carriers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Dai wrote:The main downside of these racks is that they can be a bit challenging to get two bikes onto - although to be fair, multiple bikes on most bike racks is a bit like playing twister.
Err no - I regularly carry two on mine and it's a piece of cake loading them.

And it's only a little more difficult loading three.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

b1

Postby b1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:10 pm

I prefer a roof rack mounted bike carrier. The bike is more secure, with the front fork locked into the QR hitch. A downside can be height clearance when entering garages and car parks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:17 pm

newblah wrote:Hi all.

I am looking at a 2014/2015 Cannondale Supersix Ultegra at the moment.

Seen here:
http://media.cannondale.com/media/catal ... 192875.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2014/b ... -3-ultegra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/b ... -3-ultegra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I frequently need to carry the bike on a towball-mounted bike rack on my car, does it seem likely that the cables would become damage or would rub against the frame and cause it to leave marks? I am loving this bike but it seems quite odd that on such a nice frame they decided to not run internal cabling!

thanks
That will teach you to ask two questions with the one post, won't it? No one cares weather or not you bike has internal cables or not.... :) We just wanna sell you a bike rack.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Dai

Postby Dai » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:00 pm

outnabike wrote: No one cares weather or not you bike has internal cables or not.... :)
There's your answer!

Oh and Cannondale's are beautiful bikes however I had a particularly bad experience trying to get them to honour a warranty claim, so I'd pretty much recommend anything else.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Give me external cables any day of the week.
I'll take quality shifting and brake modulation over 1/2 a watt of aero gains hands down.

newblah

Postby newblah » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I ended up getting the 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3 Ultegra yesterday :) Haven't even had time to take it out for a ride! Can't wait for Tuesday morning's commute!

newblah

Postby newblah » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks for all for the info about bike racks. I'll definitely look into a proper option, until then the backseat of my car will suffice :)

Next mission will be to sell my 2013 Avanti Giro 3. I'm hoping there is some sort of market for used bikes!

trackside

Postby trackside » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:13 am

Back seat or boot wrapped in a blanket or in bike bags....it's the only option for those who truly love their bike

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:52 am

trackside wrote:Back seat or boot wrapped in a blanket or in bike bags....it's the only option for those who truly love their bike
Those who truly love their bike, sell their car and buy a van.

Me when I bought a new car, made sure the bike would fit in the back, Hatchback with the seats down and front wheel off bike.

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:54 am

Strange the EVO doesn't have internal brake cables. 2014 CAAD10 does. Internal cabling looks nice, has no other benefit and lots of negatives.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:13 pm

petal665 wrote:Strange the EVO doesn't have internal brake cables. 2014 CAAD10 does. Internal cabling looks nice, has no other benefit and lots of negatives.
I suspect it is because the Evo frame is so high tech that the entry points for internal cables would be incompatable with its tensile properties.

BH Ultralight is similar, i think - also a top end frame of cutting-edge low weight that similarly does not have internal cabling.

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Actually that is wrong on both counts :)
The Evo high mod has internal rear brake cable (and has since it was introduced) and I also have the Ultralight which has internal gear and brake cables.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Correction accepted !

Was looking at a 2012 RIDE mag over the weekend and the piccies of both these bikes on test looked like external cabling in 2012 :oops: