water bottles

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

water bottles

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:57 pm

I've lost that many water bottles this year that I'm no longer surviving on freebies and will need to purchase some. They are just a hunk of plastic and seem to be way over priced.

Soooo....

1. Special considerations like plastics to avoid
2. Where to buy the right ones at the right price
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

flashpixx

Re: water bottles

Postby flashpixx » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Tzantushka

Postby Tzantushka » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Agree - expensive for what they are!!

Good plastics:
- polyethylene - high density (HDPE) & low density (LDPE)
- polypropylene (PP)

Try to avoid:
Super soft & squeezey bottles made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) - as these may contain lots of plasticisers that are phthalate based.
Also try to avoid polycarbonate as well - certain polycarbonates may contain bisphenol A (BPA).

Especially in warm/hot environments - plasticicers and BPA have been shown to leech into water.

Where to buy?
Unless the LBS has few bottles on special, I'll buy a few next time I place an order with Wiggle or Chain Reaction...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:18 pm

I am a sucker for camelbak bottles - even bought little ones for my 3 year old, mainly to stop him drinking from mine. Agree they are probably overpriced but I appreciate the non-spill lid.

With summer coming I have brought a chill bottle to see how that goes.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Another vote for Camelbaks. I get the clear unpainted ones as the dirt scratches them up mercilessly

Unfortunately my last batch were poorly finished around the neck and leak badly no matter hiw tight you screw on the cap. Shoulda returned them but couldn't be bothered.

I'd buy again though.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:48 pm

I prefer the clip off lid ones rather than the screw off lid as I find the generally seal better.

http://www.bottlesofaustralia.com.au/sp ... ure-750ml/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:54 pm

I've always made do with freebies, but I've just got a new bike and feel the need to buy some that correctly match the colour now

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Ross wrote:I prefer the clip off lid ones rather than the screw off lid as I find the generally seal better.

http://www.bottlesofaustralia.com.au/sp ... ure-750ml/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+1 for Bottles of Australia. Well priced, stay clean inside on tank water or public tap water. I have 2 models both fit inside various cages snugly and the drink nipples last forever. I have one bottle that is 7 years old and too tatty my my chic bikes - now used in work ute and still going strong.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Come for a visit ... I have dozens spare :mrgreen:

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Camelbak Podium.

[/thread]

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:40 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Come for a visit ... I have dozens spare :mrgreen:
I recall that thread

Based on the number I've left at the gym this year, I'm not going for any premium priced bottles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:45 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Based on the number I've left at the gym this year, I'm not going for any premium priced bottles
Sounds like you need to look for a feature that allows you to attach your car key :wink:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I've lost that many water bottles this year that I'm no longer surviving on freebies and will need to purchase some. They are just a hunk of plastic and seem to be way over priced.

Soooo....

1. Special considerations like plastics to avoid
2. Where to buy the right ones at the right price
I keep an eye out for Camelbak podium & podium chill bottles and buy them in bulk. My kids use them too.

I have box of them:

I usually pay about $8 a bottle for the regular ones, and the chills I got for $12. They're still expensive compared to a cheapie, but the cheap ones leave a plastic taste in the water
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:47 pm

OMGosh! Water bottle addiction!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Got a box like that but all used, after a certain point the freebies overwhelmed by ability to break, wear out or loose them.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:54 am

sogood wrote:OMGosh! Water bottle addiction!
Hehe, it gets like that. I have 4 bottles in use (2 per bike), and my kids have 2 bottles each (another 4). kids being kids, they lose them sometimes and I still have no idea where the previous 4 bottles went!

so, although it looks like I have a lot of bottles, they do get used. That current box full is because catch of the day had a massive discount on podium chill bottles and I only had 2 of those in rotation.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:26 am

Another +1 for Camelbak Podium Chill (the insulated Podium bottle).

After commuting last summer and having frozen normal bottles totally thawed and lukewarm after 35 minutes in the Melbourne heat I splashed out on some insulated bottles. While I haven't tested out there insulating properties in those conditions yet, I like the bottle for normal use so far.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:52 am

If you are trying to avoid BPA in plastic bottles, look for the number on the bottom surrounded by a triangle. This is a recycling code to enable recyclers to identify the plastic. If you avoid bottles with the number 7, you avoid BPA. Not all bottles with a 7 on the bottom contain BPA however; the 7 code is a miscellaneous category including lots of different plastic types.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:03 am

redsonic wrote:If you are trying to avoid BPA in plastic bottles, look for the number on the bottom surrounded by a triangle. This is a recycling code to enable recyclers to identify the plastic. If you avoid bottles with the number 7, you avoid BPA. Not all bottles with a 7 on the bottom contain BPA however; the 7 code is a miscellaneous category including lots of different plastic types.
Not so simple. Category 3 may also contain BPA. I'd suggest seeking reputable brands with specific BPA free labelling.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:51 pm

MattyK wrote:Camelbak Podium.

[/thread]
+100

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:54 pm

michael_w wrote:Another +1 for Camelbak Podium Chill (the insulated Podium bottle).

After commuting last summer and having frozen normal bottles totally thawed and lukewarm after 35 minutes in the Melbourne heat I splashed out on some insulated bottles. While I haven't tested out there insulating properties in those conditions yet, I like the bottle for normal use so far.
I am a convert after last summer. With the regular bottles the ice would melted (from frozen solid) to warm in under 30 minutes. With the chill bottles, I put them in the freezer at work all day, but because the bottles are insulated, the water freezes only partially (leaving a liquid core). This works great as 10 min up the road I give the bottle a squeeze and the ice breaks into ice cubes. I then have ice come water all the way home, and usually arrive with ice still in the bottle.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 pm

MattyK wrote:Camelbak Podium.

[/thread]
same....hate drinking warm water
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:22 pm

they are a little over priced but another vote here for camelbak water bottles....
OI onya bike!!!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:07 pm

I also concur too as well. Camelbak Podium, worth it. They are just the right kind of squeezy and the nozzle thinger is clever.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Yes, to the Camelbak Podium. They're a winner!

No distasteful plasticky taste, even when the water has been in the bottle for a couple of days. Leak-free and easy to use drinking valve, nice flexy plastic in use.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."