Pro-lite Bracciano A27s or Shimano Ultegra 6800 tubeless?

Arlberg

Pro-lite Bracciano A27s or Shimano Ultegra 6800 tubeless?

Postby Arlberg » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Please help me choose a new wheelset!

I need a new wheel set after my Reynolds Solitudes packed it in. I will be using them for all round training and riding, and for when I'm travelling as I don't like taking my expensive carbon wheels on planes in case they get broken in transit.

I am considering:

Pro-lite Bracciano A27's. Price $419.
Weight 1482 grams.
http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/product ... escription" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shimano Ultegra 6800 tubeless. Price $336.99.
Weight 1640 grams.
http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-ultegra-6800-tubeless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which ones would you recommend? Happy to consider other options too around this price.

trailgumby

Re: Pro-lite Bracciano A27s or Shimano Ultegra 6800 tubeless

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:38 pm

See my review of the Braccianos on the main site. Google search should turn it up in the top 10 results.

It's now almost a year since I've had the wheels.

I haven't had to touch them with a spoke key. Ever. Still as true as they came out of the box. They've had maybe 4.5-5,000km on them?

I am HARD on wheels. These ones have been great. Sub-1500g too, and semi aero. *Highly* recommended.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:19 pm

I have 2.5 sets of the Braccianos (on additional front wheel) and had a set of the Ultegras. Braccianos are better, lighter and stiffer. Also changing tyres (normal tyres) is a royal PITA with the Ultegra wheels- being tubeless the tyre bead is freaking tight. The Bracc sets have between 5-13K km on them, aside from an incident with a crack in the road they have been fantastic (the rim jammed in the crack and tore the spokes out of the rim- def not the fault of the rims).

Oh and I am also hard on wheels- MTB's I had always ended up with DH rims on them

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:24 pm

In the event you want to run tubeless tyres, the Bracciano A27's work perfectly with a tubeless conversion using Stans yellow tape, tubeless valve and your choice of sealant. Takes about 5-minutes to set them up.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Glad I saw this thread as I was thinking of going Ultegra but was considering the A27 Bracciano, leaning towards the Bracciano a lot more now.
No signature

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Does anyone know if all the branding and logos on the Pro-lite Bracciano A27's are decals which can be removed, or are painted on? Or perhaps they also make a "stealth' set of wheels?

These wheels aren't as bad as some other brands in terms of excessive labelling, but when will companies realise that most people dont like logos plastered all over their bicycles and wheels?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:37 pm

The decals on the more expensive Pro-Lite models (like the Bracciano) are a transfer. They arn't a sticker and cannot be easily removed.

The lower cost models like Merano A30, Como & Garda are a good quality sticker - you could remove them with some patience.

The Merano A30 would be the highest performance model that comes with stickered decals.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

ianK

Postby ianK » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:31 pm

I actually have both sets of rims on different bikes. Both are GREAT wheels - different but great.

I love the Ultegra rims as they roll beautifully (no as free as the Bracciano's when under no load, but when under load in riding conditions for me there is nothing between them), and they loose only a little air each day - onlt a little bit more than one would loose from tubes.

Braccino's - total bullet proof rims that can take a heap of punishment and will still run true. Converting to tubeless is a cinch but, as one would expect they do loose a fair bit of air each day. Certainly not a deal breaker imho. Tire wise I have been running schwalbe ZX Tubeless and more recently schwalbe One tubeless. Both are fantastic - albeit expensive - tires. Low rolling resistance and grip / fee similar to Conti 4000s. Feel very comfortable and confident on these tires.

Have had only one flat in the past two years - big chunk of glass took a huge bit out of the tire and, I hadn't replenished the white goo in a timely manner. In any event the flat was controlled (enough goo left to slow the flat down substantially). I ended up riding for a couple of k's which got me to within a few hundred meters from home before I finally had to get off the bike and walk the last bit.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks IanK for the info.

I ended up getting the Braccianos. They look good but I haven't put them on the bike yet.

If I want to run them tubeless what do I need to do? Is it just a matter of mounting a tubeless tyre, putting some some Stans in the valve and off I go, or or do i have to do some other things?

ianK

Postby ianK » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:16 am

Hi Alberg,

You will need to install 2 layers of Stans 21mm Rim tape prior to fitting the valve (btw if you can, get the 44mm tubeless valves with the removable core. You won't need a valve extender with the 44mm valves). The only tricky bit is I have found it is best to not tighten the nut on the valve initially - leave it very loose. When you put the tyre on, start opposite from the valve. When getting to the last bit of fully mounting the tyre, push the valve up so that the tire will slip under the rubber grommet. Only after I am sure the tire is seating correctly do I fully tighten the nut of the valve. Goo in and you are good to go. You can fiddle with it to see what is best for you, but start off with about 10psi less than you would run in standard tubed tires.
It is all very straight forward. If you want to see a video - check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uHQ4csS1yM

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:25 pm

That's very helpful, thanks for your advice.