Essential tools

Azee

Essential tools

Postby Azee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:05 am

What are the essential tools for roadside repair?

I can only think of spare tubes, tire levers, and something to get the wheels on/off like an adjustable spanner.

Am I missing anything?

nezumi

Re: Essential tools

Postby nezumi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:46 pm

It depends greatly on the bike, the level of mechanical skill and how far you are riding.

I generally carry a Topeak Alien (This one) which has all the tools I need to get me out of trouble, plus a few I don't.

On my bike, and most bikes now, the wheels use a quick release - no need for an adjustable spanner. I always carry a 5mm allen key for adjusting brakes (mechanical disc) and a chain breaker. I have had it happen that a chain has broken while riding to work, and I managed to remove one link and make the ride to work without any further hassle.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:29 pm

If your bike doesn't have QR wheels, you're likely going to need that adjustable spanner for all sorts of bits. A better bike will use Allen key fittings and a spanner will be next to useless.
I always carry a chain tool as well, not sure I've ever needed it but a little multi tool with one included is easy to come by.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:41 am

I always add in a small multi tool- helpful for things that can go loose and need tightening. A patch for larger tyre cuts has been very helpful (and means you don't need to temporarily sacrifice a bank note to keep rolling

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:39 am

Agree with all of the above, but some would say the most important "tool" to carry is a functioning mobile phone.
Depends a bit where you are riding, and how many friends (with cars) that you have.

Also useful sometimes are some disposable rubber gloves, and/or some hand wipes to use for or after roadside repairs.

Azee

Postby Azee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks guys for the replies.

I noticed in my post I forgot to add a pump and no one else seemed to think that was essential for roadside repair :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:34 pm

For me, I've found I very rarely carry out much on the trail but I do carry a multi tool that will adjust anything and break a chain if necessary. Regular trail/road side repairs tend to be punctures. Having converted to tubeless on my MTB and installed tyre liners on my regular rides have found that fairly rare too.

As for the pump, they are good but having a Schroeder (car) valve or valve adaptor can be very useful if you are near servo air for quick filling.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Azee wrote:Thanks guys for the replies.

I noticed in my post I forgot to add a pump and no one else seemed to think that was essential for roadside repair :lol:
Gotta agree, that is pretty funny, omitting one of the more traditional necessities for riding a bike !

Also have to admit, i do forgot to carry a pump occasionally, easier to do in these days of more compact pumps that get carried in the back pocket of your jersey.
Of course, some would argue that CO2 inflation canisters are the way to go. :?

Azee

Postby Azee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Is one of those canisters enough to fill up a tire?
They aren't cheap though, where as pumping is free

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:00 am

Azee wrote:What are the essential tools for roadside repair?

I can only think of spare tubes, tire levers, and something to get the wheels on/off like an adjustable spanner.

Am I missing anything?
Bike pump

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:16 am

Azee wrote:Is one of those canisters enough to fill up a tire?
They aren't cheap though, where as pumping is free
Yes, and yes. :) Typically one CO2 will fill a roadie or MTB tyre to sufficient pressure, thing is that the CO2 will deflate quicker than air from a pump so after a day or two you'll need to top up with a pump. CO2 is good for a quick fill if youre in a hurry and reseating tubeless tyres. Having a pump is always a good backup lest the CO2 go wrong and you end up filling the local atmosphere instead of the tyre.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.