for mount roofrack with carbon

SheikYerbouti

for mount roofrack with carbon

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Does anyone have any experience with fork-mount roof rack bike carriers and full carbon forks?
Not carbon legs with alloy dropouts, but all carbon. Are there any issues with the front clamp onto the carbon part or is it no different to attaching your wheel?
The skewer on my roof mount has little ridges/teeth in the plates of the skewer that clamp onto the fork. Currently with alloy dropouts it's fine - but with a new full carbon fork coming, will there be issues?
Thanks.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: for mount roofrack with carbon

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:34 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:Does anyone have any experience with fork-mount roof rack bike carriers and full carbon forks?
Not carbon legs with alloy dropouts, but all carbon. Are there any issues with the front clamp onto the carbon part or is it no different to attaching your wheel?
The skewer on my roof mount has little ridges/teeth in the plates of the skewer that clamp onto the fork. Currently with alloy dropouts it's fine - but with a new full carbon fork coming, will there be issues?
Thanks.

These fork mount don't apply any different forces to what you would riding the bike. If you're concerned about the teeth, what you might want to do is to cut a bit of old tube and put it in between the fork and the bike holder to grip it better and to cushion the crushing forces.

Duck!
Expert

Re: for mount roofrack with carbon

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Make sure the mount is done up securely. Because the droputs are solid carbon, there's no risk of compression damage like there is on the frame tubes. The enemy here is abrasion; an insufficiently tightened mount will allow the bike to "chatter" and rapidly wear away the dropouts. Same deal with your wheel skewer when riding.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.