Bike for $400 (or less preferably)

alsheard

Bike for $400 (or less preferably)

Postby alsheard » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:10 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting back into riding but I have a pretty limited budget with a Wedding in 4 months so I'm trying to keep the budget around $400 tops. I want the bike for general recreational riding/exercise, maybe a commute to work every now and again but no serious distances or rough terrain planned. From what I can tell I'm probably after a Hybrid bike but I have no idea where to start and what brands to go with/steer clear of. A little searching has yielded the Jamis Coda Sport (which is a bit out of my range new, but maybe I can find one second hand) or a Giant Sedona for around $330? If anyone has any thoughts on these or can offer some other suggestions I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

rodneycc

Re: Bike for $400 (or less preferably)

Postby rodneycc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:57 pm

The two best places to check out on a tight budget is Cell bikes and Reid cycles. Maybe checkout the Osprey flatbar or dropbar at Reid or the SS2200 at Cell are worth a look. Good luck.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

alsheard

Postby alsheard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:29 pm

So these bikes you mention are decent? As in, they're not absolute junk like sold in Kmart etc?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:49 pm

alsheard wrote:So these bikes you mention are decent? As in, they're not absolute junk like sold in Kmart etc?
Well yeah decent as you are going to get for $400 I reckon. A lot better than the Big W or K-mart bikes. I guess it will also depend on what type of riding you plan on doing . But if its just bike paths/road and the like then these below are what you would be looking at. Off-road, dirt, etc then you would be looking more at the MTB range with suspension.

http://www.this link is broken/BEST_Fitnes ... 00_dollars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/osprey-fla ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/osprey-road-bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will be able to bargain them down to $399 for the Ospreys as that's there usual price - they have only just gone back up after being at $399 for while.

Or if you really want to go cheap and take a punt on the quality then there is the Aldi sale start tomorrow with $200 Mountain bikes that might be worth a look as they don't look half bad in the pictures and for $200 not much to lose... :D

Edit: with Cell and Reid at least you will be able to take it back if you have problems or need adjustments. Unlike Aldi (unless you just want a refund!). It has that safety net with Cell and Reid.
Last edited by rodneycc on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Depending on how soon you want your bike, and how handy you are I would recommend second hand. Look for the brand name bikes, look for the model fitting a $700-1000 price range and you should get something pretty decent only a few years old for your $400.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

alsheard

Postby alsheard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Cheers guys. So what are the brand name bikes and their models which I should look for second-hand?

corey90

Postby corey90 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi I just bought a 2nd hand 2010 giant defy for $400 which I love!! Good bike, good components (basic but very good) and decent brand u can trust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

alsheard wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting back into riding but I have a pretty limited budget with a Wedding in 4 months so I'm trying to keep the budget around $400 tops. I want the bike for general recreational riding/exercise, maybe a commute to work every now and again but no serious distances or rough terrain planned. From what I can tell I'm probably after a Hybrid bike but I have no idea where to start and what brands to go with/steer clear of. A little searching has yielded the Jamis Coda Sport (which is a bit out of my range new, but maybe I can find one second hand) or a Giant Sedona for around $330? If anyone has any thoughts on these or can offer some other suggestions I'd appreciate it. Cheers!
Jamis Coda Sport would be my choice if no plans to do mountain biking. I made up a bike to the same specs, very happy with it.
Wife has a Giant Sedona, very versatile. I ended up getting a second hand set of wheels that I fitted 26 x 32 slicks for road rides, swap back to knobblies for trails.
Check out second hand, more bang for your buck.