Road disc brake wheelset - market research

Calvin27

Re: Road disc brake wheelset - market research

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:07 pm

15 and 12 at the rear. Makes sense since most xc 29 ers run this. 9mm to is past and 20mm is downhill.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Pretty sure I was reading coverage of the Euro Bike shows which had a 12mm Front Thru axle floating around, which was half the weight of a 15mm, but probably plenty strong enough for road use. TBH I will pick up a Disc Road Bike but - when the Thru axle standards for road get sorted, QR and discs makes for noise and you also start to be a bit concerned as the the long term frame durability of QR and discs due to the amount of force transmitted.

Heard a few too many warranty claim issues on QR frames having the dropouts eaten to not want to go Thru Axle, not to mention the frame Stiffness.

But yeah then I will want widish and deepish carbon road disc wheels, when I do go to a Disc brake roadie.

Roub

Postby Roub » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Calvin27 wrote:FYI Kinesis crosslites are the benchmark for disc wheel sets I reckon. At under 1700g a set and less than $500 to Aus delivered, this is the target if you're hitting the low end of the (after) market sales.
This^

But try to buy a set at the moment - everyone out of stock.....right when I'm hunting for a set. - nice wide rim too

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Phil wrote:Pretty sure I was reading coverage of the Euro Bike shows which had a 12mm Front Thru axle floating around, which was half the weight of a 15mm, but probably plenty strong enough for road use. TBH I will pick up a Disc Road Bike but - when the Thru axle standards for road get sorted, QR and discs makes for noise and you also start to be a bit concerned as the the long term frame durability of QR and discs due to the amount of force transmitted.

Heard a few too many warranty claim issues on QR frames having the dropouts eaten to not want to go Thru Axle, not to mention the frame Stiffness.

But yeah then I will want widish and deepish carbon road disc wheels, when I do go to a Disc brake roadie.
any reputable hub will be convertible, especially if it can take a 15mm axle.
are you sure you're not getting confused with the 12mm rear axle however?

after ~12 months of disc road and disc CX usage, i've never had a single issue with a front QR however.
Roub wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:FYI Kinesis crosslites are the benchmark for disc wheel sets I reckon. At under 1700g a set and less than $500 to Aus delivered, this is the target if you're hitting the low end of the (after) market sales.
This^

But try to buy a set at the moment - everyone out of stock.....right when I'm hunting for a set. - nice wide rim too
i'll sell you mine for $500. :wink:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:34 am

After more than 10 yeras on a front quick release skewered MTB disc brake- no issues at all and this is the first I have heard of issues with disc brakes and skewers.
Pretty sure Giant isn't the only player looking at thru axles from articles about recent annual bike shows. Giant is at the forefront though.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:55 am

CXCommuter wrote:...and this is the first I have heard of issues with disc brakes and skewers.
Somewhere in the very long thread below there are references to it. It is more prevalent with smaller discs (like many new road bikes) and standard Q/R. I've had some minor problems with the Q/R loosening slowly over time on the 160 front rotor MTB, but no such issues on the road with the 185 rotor. Both Q/R obviously.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roub

Postby Roub » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:04 pm

mitchy_ wrote:
Roub wrote:
This^

Yeah nah, 3 weeks time and wiggle brand new $421 delivered.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Roub wrote:
mitchy_ wrote:
Roub wrote: This^

Yeah nah, 3 weeks time and wiggle brand new $421 delivered.
I got mine from merlin. .. added some tyres which cleared the freight. .. They look good hanging up in the garage
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Roub wrote:Yeah nah, 3 weeks time and wiggle brand new $421 delivered.
t'was a joke.
mine are also hanging up in the garage like cancan's....

Roub

Postby Roub » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Looked ar Merlin, but only $6 cheaper p'us freight unless you buy more. Why you both hanging them up and not using??

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:12 am

Nobody wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:...and this is the first I have heard of issues with disc brakes and skewers.
Somewhere in the very long thread below there are references to it. It is more prevalent with smaller discs (like many new road bikes) and standard Q/R. I've had some minor problems with the Q/R loosening slowly over time on the 160 front rotor MTB, but no such issues on the road with the 185 rotor. Both Q/R obviously.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This issue is more likely with MTBs due to the telescoping of the front suspension under braking. Not really a problem with rigid forks. That's why MTBs should use thru-axles.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:23 pm

biker jk wrote:This issue is more likely with MTBs due to the telescoping of the front suspension under braking. Not really a problem with rigid forks. That's why MTBs should use thru-axles.
Fair enough, but mine is rigid.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Roub wrote:Looked ar Merlin, but only $6 cheaper p'us freight unless you buy more. Why you both hanging them up and not using??
To many road rides.... Maybe after next weekend I will try some firetrails and use them a bit more
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:57 pm

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/02/201 ... hru-axles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gffg

Postby gffg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:26 am

just thought i would add some thoughts on the kenesis crosslight.

i got a set in april 2014 that came in at 1610g for the pair. great value, had one loose spoke issue after a couple of months (or 2 spokes fixed at the same time) that got fixed easy enough.

no complaints, and there are plenty cheerleaders for them.

but be aware of where the weight is on a "light" wheel set.

the kenesis rim is wide 24 and shallow 22 , but weights ~510g which is fairly hefty for what it is. a lightweight wheel set with such hefty rims :?

more useful info here http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... s-any-good" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:39 am

gffg wrote:just thought i would add some thoughts on the kenesis crosslight.

i got a set in april 2014 that came in at 1610g for the pair. great value, had one loose spoke issue after a couple of months (or 2 spokes fixed at the same time) that got fixed easy enough.

no complaints, and there are plenty cheerleaders for them.

but be aware of where the weight is on a "light" wheel set.

the kenesis rim is wide 24 and shallow 22 , but weights ~510g which is fairly hefty for what it is. a lightweight wheel set with such hefty rims :?

more useful info here http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... s-any-good" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes that is a heavy rim, especially given it doesn't need extra material for a brake track. As a comparison, the Pacenti SL23 rim with braketrack (24mm wide, 26mm deep) is 450g. Typically, disc brake wheelsets are heavier due to the hubs (and to a much lesser extent the need for more spokes on the front wheel).

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:39 am

Sorry to revive an old thread but after some more opinions having finalised most of the specifications for a new model.

Would people prefer a 6-bolt specific hub or a centre lock hub that can be run as 6-bolt with a $15 adaptor.

The centre lock hub gives the best of both worlds but I'd like everyone's opinions, especially those who are actually using a road bike with disc brakes.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:49 am

I agree centre lock with adapter if required

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:54 am

Cmm wrote:I agree centre lock with adapter if required
+1

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 am

I've had disc brakes on my last four road bikes and always gone for 6 bolt versions.

E

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 am

Centrelock.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:25 am

I've used both. I actually prefer centrelock but despise having to buy the adaptors. Please include them in the wheels.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:02 am

I've got both. As far as I can tell it's much of a muchness in reality.

6 bolt rotors are easier to find and therefore usually cheaper.

They both appear to have the same lack of aerodynamics.

Don't much care about the weight differences, if there are any.

Ease of use doesn't really matter because rotors aren't replaced very often.

For many road disc users (who are usually commuters at present) I think it will often come down to cost and 6 bolt are usually cheaper. Of course all this is soon to change with so many disc brake road endurance style bikes now being offered.

Sorry. Haven't really made it any clearer. Obviously it's not really clear cut and so it probably doesn't matter that much.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:18 am

Centrelock for mine, much faster to service. A $15 adaptor won't kill anyone's budget
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Calvin27 wrote:I've used both. I actually prefer centrelock but despise having to buy the adaptors. Please include them in the wheels.
Totally.