Road disc brake wheelset - market research

jacks1071

Road disc brake wheelset - market research

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:53 am

I'm looking to bring a road disc brake wheelset to market. If you have a disc brake road bike or are seriously interested in buying one and you know which bike (as we need an important question about the frame answered) then we invite you to answer this short survey.

https://apps.facebook.com/my-surveys/ix ... _id=lpwai6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

cancan64

Re: Road disc brake wheelset - market research

Postby cancan64 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 am

I cant access facebook so just marking this for later
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:00 am

You may have a small problem. I did your survey, but at the end it says I must login to Farcebook to continue. So I don't know if you got any results. Considering I'm probably a minority who doesn't have a Farcebook account and not interested in getting one, this may not matter.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 am

Nobody wrote:You may have a small problem. I did your survey, but at the end it says I must login to Farcebook to continue. So I don't know if you got any results. Considering I'm probably a minority who doesn't have a Farcebook account and not interested in getting one, this may not matter.
Ditto!

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 am

gabrielle260 wrote:
Nobody wrote:You may have a small problem. I did your survey, but at the end it says I must login to Farcebook to continue. So I don't know if you got any results. Considering I'm probably a minority who doesn't have a Farcebook account and not interested in getting one, this may not matter.
Ditto!
Same.

I have a flatbar roadie with 700c disc wheels and would be happy to answer your survey, just not on FaceBook.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:52 am

cjrich wrote:
gabrielle260 wrote:
Ditto!
Same.

I have a flatbar roadie with 700c disc wheels and would be happy to answer your survey, just not on FaceBook.
+1: not on Facebook, but having just ordered a road bike with disc brakes, I would be more than happy to do the survey.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:49 pm

I'll look at a different survey technology when I have some spare time.

Getting a lot of responses already and noticing some trends which is steering me in a different direction to what I had in mind so definitely worth getting the feedback.

For the people not currently on facebook, it takes like 1-minute to make an account up. Having that account doesn't mean you need to sit on it for hours everyday :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

lard

Postby lard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 pm

jacks1071 wrote:I'll look at a different survey technology when I have some spare time.

Getting a lot of responses already and noticing some trends which is steering me in a different direction to what I had in mind so definitely worth getting the feedback.

For the people not currently on facebook, it takes like 1-minute to make an account up. Having that account doesn't mean you need to sit on it for hours everyday :-)
But it does mean you need to sell your soul to Zuckerberg, the CIA, the NSA and the FBI.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:08 pm

I've done the survey, although I'm probably not your target market (I build my own wheels, and the price tag on pre-built wheels always makes me baulk.

But if it's what you're asking... 135mm dropouts all the way. 130 disc hubs are already orphans. I think through-axles will come, but they're not here yet. And when they do, I expect hubs will follow the MTB lead of being convertible. Even if road through-axles end up using different standards to existing MTB through-axles, I'd be amazed if the hubs weren't designed with interchangeable bearing caps to swap between through-axle and 135mm QR.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:19 pm

jacks1071 wrote:I'll look at a different survey technology when I have some spare time.

Obviously missing the point that those of us without Facebook accounts do not want Facebook accounts!
So I'll be passing too.
formerly the fat climber

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:21 pm

the fat climber wrote:

Obviously missing the point that those of us without Facebook accounts do not want Facebook accounts!
So I'll be passing too.
Lets not turn this into a discussion about who does and doesn't have facebook for whatever reason. As already mentioned

"I'll look at a different survey technology when I have some spare time."
Last edited by jacks1071 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm

barefoot wrote:I've done the survey, although I'm probably not your target market (I build my own wheels, and the price tag on pre-built wheels always makes me baulk.

But if it's what you're asking... 135mm dropouts all the way. 130 disc hubs are already orphans. I think through-axles will come, but they're not here yet. And when they do, I expect hubs will follow the MTB lead of being convertible. Even if road through-axles end up using different standards to existing MTB through-axles, I'd be amazed if the hubs weren't designed with interchangeable bearing caps to swap between through-axle and 135mm QR.
We're sorted for through-axle conversions on the hub we are planning to use. Looks like the proper CX bikes might go that way.

Thats as much as I can say about the hubs for the moment :-)

PS. Appreciate your feedback - hopefully we can produce something at a price low enough that you couldn't be bothered building your own?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:25 am

Through-axle options are rather dependent on what the frame/fork manufacturers choose to adopt.....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:31 am

jacks1071 wrote:
Lets not turn this into a discussion about who does and doesn't have facebook for whatever reason.
I'm not. You're the one who chose to rubbish the idea of people not having fb accounts.
formerly the fat climber

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:02 am

https://www.surveymonkey.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Create and publish online surveys in minutes, and view results graphically and in real time. SurveyMonkey provides free online questionnaire and survey ..

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 am

jacks1071 wrote:PS. Appreciate your feedback - hopefully we can produce something at a price low enough that you couldn't be bothered building your own?
Maybe, but unlikely.

I make a sport of tightwadding, and I compete at elite level :lol:

I have the benefit that my wheels don't need to be a consistent spec across a long model run, so I can grab bargain parts when they show up. Odd leftover parts that somebody is losing money just to get rid of.

Obvious case in point - my disc road wheels. 1750g, 32 spoke. Cost me less than $200 and a bit of build time in front of the telly.

Not questioning that ProLite wheels are keenly priced in the market... just that the market is a few steps up from the level where bottom-feeders like me live :mrgreen:

tim

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Thread closed, I have enough survey data for the moment. Thank-you to all who responded.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:38 pm

FYI Kinesis crosslites are the benchmark for disc wheel sets I reckon. At under 1700g a set and less than $500 to Aus delivered, this is the target if you're hitting the low end of the (after) market sales.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:48 pm

What width tyres would you be most likely to use?
32mm or wider as the widest option.

Everyone knows that running 40mm is the new 32mm for "Lots of Dirt"(and why people will continue to have hand build real life wheelsets) Price means nothing if it a mishmash of components not suitable for purpose.
Just build a road bike disc wheelset which suits on road with road tyres and you may make some people happy.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:28 pm

baabaa wrote:Just build a road bike disc wheelset which suits on road with road tyres and you may make some people happy.
+1

We already have 29er wheelsets available (with interchangeable bearing caps to fit 135mm QR) if we want something a bit wider and stronger for serious gravel.

It's the light and/or aero road-specific market that is a bit of a hole right now.

tim

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Calvin27 wrote:FYI Kinesis crosslites are the benchmark for disc wheel sets I reckon. At under 1700g a set and less than $500 to Aus delivered, this is the target if you're hitting the low end of the (after) market sales.
1555g to be exact.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Calvin27 wrote:FYI Kinesis crosslites are the benchmark for disc wheel sets I reckon. At under 1700g a set and less than $500 to Aus delivered, this is the target if you're hitting the low end of the (after) market sales.
happy with mine...but you can never have enough wheelsets
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:20 pm

mitchy_ wrote:
1555g to be exact.
Yeah the earlier versions were a bit a heavier. But I honestly struggle to see how (unless you are a massive manufacturer yourself) you could compete with a company like kinesis on price. The rims are 28mm which works for most road so I'd say this market segment is done. Ideally, something 40mm would be a new entrant if priced right.

Or you could take the alternative route and start making through axel hubs road wheels. That would put you right out in front of the curve!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
mitchy_ wrote:
1555g to be exact.
Yeah the earlier versions were a bit a heavier. But I honestly struggle to see how (unless you are a massive manufacturer yourself) you could compete with a company like kinesis on price. The rims are 28mm which works for most road so I'd say this market segment is done. Ideally, something 40mm would be a new entrant if priced right.

Or you could take the alternative route and start making through axel hubs road wheels. That would put you right out in front of the curve!
they're 24mm wide and 22mm deep. something a little deeper would be nice for the road, my 45mm deep carbon disc wheels are great in that regard.. but also cost substantially more.

make something 23+mm wide, ~30mm deep, 24 or 28 spokes, tubeless and around $500 and it should do ok. adaptable hubs will always futureproof them, but really giant are the only one even playing with front hubs at the moment... i cant see rear through axles being pushed hard any time soon.
how much the 15mm front hub on a TCX matters over a normal quick release, i'll hopefully have a first hard comparison between my 2 CX's in the coming weeks/months.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Or you could take the alternative route and start making through axel hubs road wheels. That would put you right out in front of the curve!
Then he'd just have to wait for the frame builders to catch up with the curve, so people would have something to attach the wheels to :?

Which through-axle standard are you putting your money on becoming dominant for road?