Bar Tape - What's Your Flavour?

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Looking at trying something different. Only ever used the Sram or Specialized cork stuff. Replaced the horrible gel filled fluffy Roubaix tape that came on my bike and used cork since.

Anyone got any favourites?
I have heard the lizard skins stuff is good, and even leather tape available now.
Just looking to try something different.
Don't mind the cork, but seems to get Manny quickly.

V8rider

Re: Bar Tape - What's Your Flavour?

Postby V8rider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm using lizard skins dsp 1.8mm. I love it, apart from the ridiculous price. After trying lots and lots of other tape that I've never been happy with, I can't imagine using anything else. It works well, wet or dry, with or without gloves.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:42 pm

I love leather, the feel and the way it wears and ages. I've moved brooks tape from bike to bike more than once. Ive got rolls of brooks spare but next might buy some DiPell, made in Melbourne.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Strange... I was about to go searching for a thread on bartape.
Wasnt so interested in finding out who uses what, but why different people chose to use what they use.

Iv only used cork tape. Never really had an issue with it (other than replacing my original white for black once it got a bit manky!).

But I have noticed a lot of people on Lizard Skins tape lately... It feels pretty tacky to me. Not sure whether I would like it or not.
For people that use the Lizard Skins, why do you like using it? How does it go in summer when you've sweaty hands etc.
I assume it doesnt absorb any moisture and might get a bit slippy in summer?

Or, if you prefer Cork tape, why?

That Roubaix tape from Spec seems interesting too. Seems like it would be pretty comfy to use?

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Lizard skins doesn't get slippery at all. I'd say it's probably even a touch more tacky with a bit of moisture. I use it because it gives me a great secure feel on the bars, especially if things get a bit ugly. I like that it's not bulky too, and it works for me with or without gloves.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Dirty32 - The Roubaix tape I found a bit weird.
Its very soft, and very stretchy and a bit fluffy.
If you wrap it at the intended tension I found it squirmed around under the hands a bit, which I don't like because I like taking my bike off road.
But if you wrap it tight enough that it diesnt squirm, it becomes too thin and not very effective.
Also, I found the fluffy texture took on moisture and after a rainy ride would still be soggy the next day, whereas cork just wipes dry

In the roubaix tapes defense, it came stock with the gel inserts between the bar and tape which I strongly reckon contributed to the squirm factor.

Yugyug - I might grab some leather tape and see how it goes.
Does it wrap well or is it a PITA? I imagine it wouldn't have much stretch like the fizik tape which I didn't mind. But boy was it a pain to get a nice even wrap around the hoods area without bunching and having loose bits.
Is it just leather, or does it have some kind of cork or gel bonded to the underside? I imagine plain leather might be a little harsh?
Last edited by harmonix1234 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:45 pm

I use generic ebay "cork" (foam) tape, usually just black since it matches my current ride nicely. Soft, comfy, lasts long enough and costs about $3 a pack, delivered.

On my pursuit bike (track) I currently have gauze wrap that they use as "overgrip" for tennis rackets. Nice and tacky but needs reapplying each season. When that runs out I'll switch to adhesive grip tape like they stick on skateboards.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:51 pm

KGB - GRIPTAPE!!! You should also strap a matching cheese grater to your seatpost instead of a saddle just to keep in theme. Man, GRIPTAPE... That's harsh.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 pm

yugyug wrote:I love leather, the feel and the way it wears and ages. I've moved brooks tape from bike to bike more than once. Ive got rolls of brooks spare but next might buy some DiPell, made in Melbourne.
This. Brooks on my good FG. DiPell on my commuter. The beater FG has some random non leather stuff because, the beater.
The DiPell on my commuter hasn't been touched since initial install a few years back. Maintenance has consisted of wiping down if it gets wet and a twice yearly wipe down with the buffer cloth after Proofiding the saddle. It's starting to get a little ratty in the high wear spots but still looks good. I won't be removing it until it falls apart.

The new commuter build will have DiPell too.

Not cheap but worth every cent.

Late Edit: Harmonix, you have to work harder to get a good wrap because it isn't as stretchy as synthetics but if you do a full wrap without peeling the sticky paper off then unwind and do the finish job you'll be sweet.
It's plain leather, nothing more. For a little extra cush, I used two strips of old synthocork tape along the bar at the first bent to the hoods. Nicely comfy without the squirm of gel pads or the bulk of double wrapping.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 pm

My roadies have BBB corky stuff, which isn't bad.

I haven't ridden this stuff, but wrapped plenty at work; Pro do some really nice "smart silicon" tape, which is really soft comfy tape, and a available in a couple of finishes, smooth or lightly textured. A bit hard to tell from workshop use, but it doesn't seem to be too slippery. Seems to not be too subject to squirm, which is also A Good Thing.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:22 pm

I use Pro.

Used to use Lizard Skin DSPs but they wore out too fast for my liking.

Before that I used cork. They were OK other than wearing out too fast and smelling bad after a while.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:03 pm

yugyug wrote:I love leather, the feel and the way it wears and ages. I've moved brooks tape from bike to bike more than once. Ive got rolls of brooks spare but next might buy some DiPell, made in Melbourne.
Do you run normal cork tape under the leather or is the books stuff cork backed?

I have a roll of leather stuff to use on a display bike but its really thing and its going to have bumps showing from the cables etc - probably not too comfortable either?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:08 am

As mulger bill said it's just straight leather but you can wrap some gel inserts or cork tape underneath if think you'll need it. I don't though and I find it comfortable, it seems to absorb road buzz as much as cork, and is considerably better than cotton wrap (which looks great on retro bike but I'm not recommending for comfort).

The other thing about leather is that's it's important to wrap in the right direction towards the stem so that the edges don't upturn at the ramps. Don't know if this is more likely with leather or not, but it looks especially crap. There is a great ti bike in my apartments bike cage with brooks tape and upturned edges and I wince every time I see it. If i ever bump into the owner I'm going to offer to rewrap it for him.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:20 am

I quite like the suede tapes such as Spec Roubaix and Zero Suedewrap (currently using the Zero). I like the feel of it and how it absorbs sweat quite well. My hands don't slip nor do my forearms when I'm rest them on the tops in the TT like position. I do double wrap my bars though due to some arthritis.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:22 pm

All interesting views and opinions... I like that you guys are explaining your choice and why you use what you use, rather than just saying what you use is best.

Might give the Liz Skins a go next time I need tape, or even look into some of the Pro stuff.

Keep the opinions coming!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I'm using Pro Gel in black which is linked below. Durability is the main reason I'm happy with it. In other aspects I have no complaints. Someone on here from a bike shop put me onto it.
http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catal ... lebar-tape" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod24226" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm

3T Team for me - stretchy enough to wrap tightly, just enough squish, suede finish that's hard-wearing and nice to touch, and looks dope to boot. Make sure you get the hole-punched stuff as the solid version is different (just a standard synthetic tape).

Edit: it also makes you 5% faster, makes climbing easier and gives you sex appeal.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Zipp CX is awesome, went to the Zipp SC this time as the shop had no CX on the shelf and while it is comfortable and grippy I dont like that it doesn't wrap as flat as the CX.

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 pm

harmonix1234 wrote:KGB - GRIPTAPE!!! You should also strap a matching cheese grater to your seatpost instead of a saddle just to keep in theme. Man, GRIPTAPE... That's harsh.
Hahaha, its on the pursuit bars so I just want max grip for standing starts (200m or so) and then I'm seated and into the aero bars. Hopefully I'm finished altogether after a little more than 3 & 1/2min!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:48 pm

I hate thick tape and use cotton tape with 2 or 3 Coates of shellac. Once shellacked the stuff is near indestructible. And has the look of leather.

I actually think a lot of people mistake shellacked cotton for leather on many vintage builds. The only leather bar tape that I know was commonly used in the past was Almarc, which is stitched onto the bars.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:14 pm

"Hopefully I'm finished altogether after a little more than 3 & 1/2min"!

That's what my wife says to me

reflex101

Postby reflex101 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 am

Good cork tape for me. It has just enough bulk to suit my hands is comfortable and lasts well.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:42 am

There is only one...the original Cinelli cork...

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:24 am

Deda is beda. :wink:

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:25 am

Uncle Just wrote:
Deda is beda. :wink:
Well unfortunately there will always be those that are easily satisfied by imitations... ;)