henders

Postby henders » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Last edited by henders on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Re: Zefal HPX frame pump or Topeak Road Morph G and bike siz

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I've had a few Road Morphs, they are good pumps though a little large. Gauge is very handy. The fold out foot thing broke off on one of mine. The factory mount (to put on your bike) is pretty crappy and awkward, I used another brand one (can't recall actual brand) that had the plastic bits to hold the pump and a velcro strap to hold the pump, bolts under the bottle cage. I actually prefer the mounts that come with the Lezyne pumps that have a rubber strap instead of velcro to hold the pump.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I think they stopped making the Zefal ones a few years ago. The shop may have old stock, but you might want to check before you get your hopes up that you can still buy one.

As a frame pump, it should really only be used in emergencies anyway. You probably can't go too far wrong sticking with a major brand. IME, the quality of the Lezyne stuff is superb.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:33 pm

That link gives the sizes in the answers :

"It relates to the total length of the seat-tube on your bike frame.

17-18.5" = size 1
19-20.5" = size 2
21-23" = size 3
23.5-25.5" = size 4"

So for your bike, measure the seat tube length from where it enters the top of the BB to the top of the top tube and select from the size chart above. (If you have a seat tube extension above the top tube disregard the extra length.) It looks like yours is a size 1.
NB the pumps are meant to be in the compressed state when mounted on the seat tube and this feature keeps it secure on the bike without the need for velcro. (But you can't use a seat tube bidon if the pump is placed this way.) There is a switch on the handle that you turn to select for either pumping up a tube (no give in the handle) or for some compression when mounting on the bike. My seat tube is 21" so I use a size 3. There is a catch to using this chart and that is if you plan to mount the pump underneath the top tube (some frames have a braze on button to secure the pump handle on the HT) then measure the TT length and you'll find that you may need the next size up.

BTW I've used a frame pump for many years and find them superior to most mini pumps. There a few more frustrating cycling related things than changing a tube by the road side and using a mini pump trying to get a reasonable psi into your tyre. You get to know how many strokes to reach the ideal psi figure with a good frame pump and if touring or riding o/s I take it with me. Alternatively some use Co2 cartridges to good effect.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Uncle Just wrote:NB the pumps are meant to be in the compressed state when mounted on the seat tube and this feature keeps it secure on the bike without the need for velcro. (But you can't use a seat tube bidon if the pump is placed this way.) There is a switch on the handle that you turn to select for either pumping up a tube (no give in the handle) or for some compression when mounting on the bike. My seat tube is 21" so I use a size 3. There is a catch to using this chart and that is if you plan to mount the pump underneath the top tube (some frames have a braze on button to secure the pump handle on the HT) then measure the TT length and you'll find that you may need the next size up.
If you have a smaller frame (with a short head-tube) you may well be OK to mount the pump beneath the top-tube without any pump peg (it wedges in nicely between the top tube and down tube). This is a plus as you then are generally able to use both bidon cages.

As seen on my old Giant Sedona here:

Uncle Just wrote:BTW I've used a frame pump for many years and find them superior to most mini pumps. There a few more frustrating cycling related things than changing a tube by the road side and using a mini pump trying to get a reasonable psi into your tyre. You get to know how many strokes to reach the ideal psi figure with a good frame pump and if touring or riding o/s I take it with me.
+1 to all of this - frame pumps are far superior and just nicer to use.

Having said that I now use a Lezyne Micro Floor Pump..... rarely, because the tyres are so damn good I hardly ever get any flats. Usually a top up at home with the Silca stand-pump will do me for 5-7 days of riding. I reckon the Lezyne is far and away the best of the mini-pumps.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."