Track bike sizing

harmonix1234

Track bike sizing

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Wanting a fixie, velodrome use only. None of this hipster cafe 'want the same colour as my iPhone' rubbish.
Proper track bike.

My question is, do I go one frame size smaller than my usual geared road bike?

I went to a track night last night and noticed all the guys looked big on their bikes / bikes looked short and low.

If I am a 56 normally, do I buy a 56 fixie as well, or 54?

KGB

Re: Track bike sizing

Postby KGB » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Generally, yes.
You want to be able to "muscle" a track bike around and have it nimble and quick. While this is largely due to geometry, smaller is better than bigger.

Having said all that, the current trend with road bikes seems to be smaller frames too, with longer seat posts etc. I like it - but I've been racing since I was a kid and can get nice and low comfortably. I've just recently switched from a 54cm CAAD9 to a 52cm Focus Izalco and I'm loving it.

Getting back on topic, any chance of borrowing a bike in the size you think and having a test ride? With track season starting there should be plenty of bikes for sale.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Cool thanks. Yeah my lbs has a good test program and they stock the specialized langster so might see if I can get one out on the velodrome for a bit. Cheers.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 pm

All my track crew have the same size track bike as road bike.
My son rises a 56 roady and a 56 track bike.
They are twitchy enough without riding one that is too small for you.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:59 pm

The Langster is "not a proper track bike". Its more of a Road fixie than a track bike. Plenty of better options than one of those if you are a track rider.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks Denny, any thoughts on the giant omnium then?
Or suggestions?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Derny Driver wrote:All my track crew have the same size track bike as road bike.
My son rises a 56 roady and a 56 track bike.
Same size here too - though latest track bike has a 57cm TT rather than 56cm. But am using new bars with less drop and reach so will fit the same.

Best first option would be to talk to those at your local velodrome and see if they or clubs using the track have beginner sessions. They should have bikes you can use for a few sessions before needing to buy.

Track is addictive so enjoy!

PS Please don't call a track bike a fixie... :wink:

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 am

The Langster PRO is ok, but as Derny said, the Langster is more of a street bike. Fuji and Felt do good bikes, and the Giant Omnium you mentioned also has a good reputation. There's actually a whole lot more than that to choose from depending on what brands are available to you.

The size smaller is a long outdated concept and apparently relates to the older frame that had seat tube = top tube measurements. The size smaller was to get closer to the bars and the shorter head tube for the lower handlebar position. These days, the front triangle is smalller to increase stiffness and so head tubes are inherently short anyway, and the seat tubes are steeper also.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Pro-lite do good track bikes as well. The Trentino is a popular one among our club members.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks guys. I have access to Avanti, Jamis, Felt, Trek, Specialized, Giant and Fuji all within a ten minute ride from my house so I'll go and have a squizz at some this weekend. Thanks for your input.
Been googling the Fuji's and they look like they mean business.

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:14 pm

I have a Fuji Track 1.1. Picked it up for $1500 from my local dealer. Great bike with a good levelof components. I ride a 58 Trek Madone and got the 58 cm (large) Fuji as it had the same horizontal top tube length. I thought about getting the 56 but the head tube was really short and I would have needed too many spacers to get the bars where I wanted them. I am 180 cm tall.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:09 am

brawlo wrote: The size smaller is a long outdated concept and apparently relates to the older frame that had seat tube = top tube measurements. The size smaller was to get closer to the bars and the shorter head tube for the lower handlebar position. These days, the front triangle is smalller to increase stiffness and so head tubes are inherently short anyway, and the seat tubes are steeper also.
Good point, that's probably what I was basing my statement on. I'll change my opinion to "depends on your road geometry". Just like have downsized my road frame after starting on a 54cm square steel frame many years ago, my road and track frames are actually the same size now.

What is your road frame harmonix?