recommend me a cyclocross bike hydraulic discs and di2

dinga78

Postby dinga78 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:32 am

can people who know more about bikes than me recommend me a cyclocross bike.

the things im looking for are
under 10kg
hydraulic discs
di2 or ability to fit di2 later
ideally ultegra level
2000-4000 budget

im looking for a lightweight commuter and i think cx bikes are my best option but i could easily be recommended a road bike that fits the bill if people reckon that this is a ok option for a commuter that might go up the odd curb and be on a mix of paths and roads. My 16km commute takes me about 35mins with some stops for lights so im looking for something that can be ridden hard.

the hydraulic discs and di2 are to remove the need for cables so my only maintenance is the chain etc.

suggest away

cancan64

Re: recommend me a cyclocross bike hydraulic discs and di2

Postby cancan64 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:45 am

I have a Trek Boone 9 which fits your bill except your budget may have to double...nearly.....
as for the concept....I have 2 wheelsets and pedals for when I switch between road and off road....this works well and I have no problems keeping up in group rides and so far I have found no difference in times to my roadie...single tracks I prefer the 29er and haven't tried gravel grinding yet but have been on a few fire trails and they were fun until I got a pinch flat...I think the focus mares may fit your bill by memory, I know they were a fair bit cheaper than the Trek
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

dinga78

Postby dinga78 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:47 am

yes im realising that the budget is not going to get what i want.....i thought a road bike oprion may be cheaper...but no....now im thinking i might have to stage the di2 transition??

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:35 pm

This is a 2013 model...may get a good deal on a 2014 model somewhere but Focus Mares CX-2 is closer to your budget and ticks your boxes...this was on my list until I found the Boone

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cycloc ... /102247199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:38 pm

I see your in Brisbane...The chain gang had an ex demo when I called them a few weeks back...sorry cant remember the price

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 pm

suggest away?
Im looking for a lightweight commuter...
My 16km commute takes me about 35mins with some stops for lights so im looking for something that can be ridden hard…
the hydraulic discs and di2 are to remove the need for cables so my only maintenance is the chain etc...

You have answered your own questions.
Just get an ss. At the moment, I cannot see how hydraulic discs and di2 can be seen as good commuting options given the up front costs. If you take a tumble or break a hydro-electro-brifter you are up for some very big $$.
30 ks a day is the perfect distance to go a cheap CX ss or IGH like an on-one pomp ( http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPO135/o ... mine-frame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) which you will not be able to bust, will be able to ride hard and have good fun riding. If it gets stolen or broken it is not a big loss. Put the rest of your $$ into a good weekend road/ sportive type bike for longer rides.

lock_

Postby lock_ » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:16 pm

For hydro and Di2 (not a CX, and pushing your budget) you'd be hard pressed to find better value than the Defy. Road bikes can take plenty of abuse.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 931/76623/

Note: I've not ridden one, nor seen one (that's probably a good thing for my wallet).

Ride what you want. I expect you're not going to be leaving this chained up in the open around a university campus or something... 80% of my riding is 'commuting based', it's nice to do it on something I like.

dinga78

Postby dinga78 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm

my current commuter is an alfine 11 avanti inc 3 with gates cdc belt, trp syres and drops and 700x28 gp 4 seasons. i want something more fun to ride....lighter

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:34 pm

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cycloc ... /102574967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Giant TCX very nice looking bike in the baby blue.

If the frame is Di2 compatible you could do a Di2 upgrade and stay under budget.
Tom

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:25 pm

dinga78 wrote:yes im realising that the budget is not going to get what i want.....i thought a road bike oprion may be cheaper...but no....now im thinking i might have to stage the di2 transition??
Just build it. Slowly do research, acquire parts. By the time you get to the groupset, you have no idea how much you have dumped into it already so it doesn't matter and prices would have dropped a bit. Maybe 105 will be wireless and hydro by then lol?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

dinga78

Postby dinga78 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:28 pm

the focus mares cx 2.0 looks the goods......only 3299.....i ride it everyday so a 3k commuter is fine......right?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:49 pm

Agree, buy a frame and build up a bike with the parts you really want, always ends up being more "fun" to ride in the end than just having a fly weight which is rubbish to ride more than 25ks at a time...
If you really want a cross bike, get a real one
http://www.pushys.com.au/ritchey-swiss- ... -55cm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if only they had a 59cm...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Agree with the others. Commuting is not job for a flash bike. You want a simple reliable work horse. One to 9 sprockets on the back with as many chainwheels as you need up front to get up the hills. You'll also need mudguards and some decent lights. A commuter has a hard life and things like sprockets and chains get a flogging from riding in crap weather. 9 speed or less chains last longer and this life span is improved by with good mudguards that keep the crap off. I would also stick clear of external bearing bottom brackets. They just can't hack crap weather.

Roub

Postby Roub » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:27 am

I just picked up a cheap used CX bike for similar purpose (but also my 'everyday bike'). I wanted it to mimic a real road bike though so its familiar in Geo etc to the Tarmac I've ordered.

I found a Specialized Crux on eBay, 105/Ultegra and BB7 discs with bulletproof Stans wheels. I'll run 35c Sammy Slicks for commuting, grippy and fast, yet plenty of volume to give a nice cushy ride on the paths. It also allows me to dabble in a bit of CX racing next year

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:57 am

buy one of these
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cycloc ... /102554664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and build it up yourself

dalice

Postby dalice » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Giant TCX All the way! internal cable routing, front thru axle, hydro, ~1000 gram frame and like Alien27 mentioned looks great in Belgian Blue. You can get min 15% discount off a giant when not on sale too. Only thing is it is not di2.

love_that_flow

Postby love_that_flow » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Check out the 2015 Norco Valance Carbon.
Ultegra disc brakes, ultegra 11spd di2, full carbon, full length outers, plenty of room for mud guards. Comfy amd quick.
Best part. Just over $3G
For $4600 there top emd cyclo-x looks unreal too!

dinga78

Postby dinga78 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:07 pm

couldnt see disc brakes on the valence 2015.....soo close and a great price

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:10 pm

definitely check out the TCX's as mentioned. you might be able to pick up a 2014 model and then buy a hydro Di2 groupset for under your (upper limit) budget.

alternatively, i have a 54cm chinese disc brake road frame and some bits and pieces to suit for sale if you're that way inclined. *wink wink*
takes hydraulic brakes and Di2 compatible, and was built up to 6.81kg with sram red and deep carbon wheels.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:04 pm

TCX the whole way- but for a commuter 105/Rival is a better level (mind you Ultegra 6800/Force parts are pretty cheap also). Hydro discs would be a good choice. I love my old TCX and the only desire is to have hydro discs the canti's are pretty terrible in the wet.

There are lots of options around and it might come down to what is left from 2014 stock that you could pick up a great deal. BTW I personally prefer aluminium frames for commuting- others likely to disagree