Looking for a beginner All Mountain, Hardtail Mountain Bike

tcdev

Re: Looking for a beginner All Mountain, Hardtail Mountain B

Postby tcdev » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Fingers crossed for you, I had to wait 3 weeks for mine! :(
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14 pm

I always carry a new tube and a patch kit.
Patches work well on MTB tubes. A must have if your a long way from home.
Sealant in tubes doesn't always work.
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for the good luck, I have had my own experiences with patches not working. I can try and convince my parents, which may or may not work.

How much should I be spending per tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Online bulk tubes ie 10 pack maybe $4 per tube so $40 for 10
LBS maybe $10 per tube.

I don't like pre glued patched but they get you home on your MTB.
You need to learn how to patch tubes. On a 100km race it is just as easy to get 2 flats in the ride as it is one.
I have fitted 8 patches to a tube in a ride on a bad day.

I would also add riding glasses to your list of "must haves". I have used $10 safety glasses. I almost got a stick in the eye last ride even with glasses on.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:47 am

I will have a look at the riding glasses, I will go to the LBS on Saturday if my bike is ready and also ask about the tubes, how much they are compared to the tire repair kit, I would prefer to buy things online myself, but I cannot afford anything myself with my own personal money, as the money for the bike is being given to me.

I have also enquired about the Topeak Hexus and I should know this afternoon.
Regards,

Lachlan

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:24 pm

I have placed and order and I will be picking up the bike on Saturday with the following accessories

Topeak Hexus 16 Function Folding Tool
Jetblack Mtb Essentials Pack
Shimano M088 Speed Shoe
Shimano Pedal PD-M530
Fox Reflex Glove
Sunrace Quick Link 10spd
Bottle Cage Cateye Black
Bottle Blackman

I am purchasing a bicycle computer separately and I will be using sunglasses as riding glasses for now.
Regards,

Lachlan

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Alright so I got the bike yesterday and have ridden about 20km already on some road and some track. The bike it self is awesome, with the gears, suspension, etc. The hardest thing to learn is the clip in shoe thing, I am fallen off about 3 or so times already.

But an issue I have is that, when I lift up the front or back wheel and spin it, I can hear the brake pads rubbing on the disc at one point on the disc. Is this a problem?

I have also been told by the people at the bike shop, that I am not allowed to work on or fix the bike myself, if their is a problem that I have, I need to go to the bike shop, but I want to know from the people on this forum if this is even a problem.
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:08 pm

No the brakes should not rub.
Sometimes undoing the quick release move the wheel around a bit/ from sided to side and redo up. That can fix it.
The caliper needs centering. Loosen caliper bolts. Squeeze brake lever. Do up caliper bolts with lever squeezed.
The rotor might need truing.
Take bike back to the shop.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Have a read. Good info to know. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... adjustment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:16 pm

Also (plenty of other articles on how to do it) http://blog.performancebike.com/2010/03 ... sc-brakes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:09 pm

You'll get used to the clipless pedals soon enough, until it becomes second nature you'll need to think ahead and unclip at least one foot while slowing down ready for a stop.

There are plenty of wrenchers here that would completely ignore what your shop has told you about not touching it. If you are competent there is no reason not to tweak the gears, brakes, etc on your bike. If there is something broken, or more major in nature take it back while it is under the warranty period incase it is a warranty thing. If they are offering free services, take advantage while you can.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:14 pm

I undid the quick release on the wheel and I tried to move the wheel and it wouldn't budge, do I pull on it harder or is something holding it down?
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 pm

15mm thru axle on the front?

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:31 pm

I know what you mean, but I have no idea what the length of the front axle is, how can I measure it?
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUU0FvH47g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wiggling the front wheel won't do anything. Only works on qr wheels which can seat a little crooked.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I took the wheel off by undoing the quick release, then holding the nut at the end of the quick release and unscrewing the quick release, then I took out the wheel, when I took of the wheel I accidentally squeezed the brake lever, which made the brake pads too close to put the wheel back on, so I had to lever the brake pads open a bit with a screw driver, then I opened then the rest of the way when I put the wheel back on.

The brake were even worse when I put the wheel back on, but after a few spins of the wheel and pulling the lever it got better and went back to what is was before, how would your recommend I adjust them, please keep it simple as I don't want to mess up my bike up.
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Did you read the Parktools link above?

I guess you worked this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0LXIQ ... TWJROADmOI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope do it a little differently. The Align and Lubricate Brake calipers is all good. Watch from about 2 minutes 30.
http://www.hopetech.com/how-to-videos/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZstjZ3BcQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I think I will just take the bike to the shop, since the procedure for resetting the brake pads looks too complicated.

Regarding the youtube video you linked, that is exactly what I did.
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Taking your bike to the shop is a good idea. However at some point you need to learn how to do a little maintenance yourself. I have had to adjust my brakes mid ride before.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:18 pm

I looked at the third video, the one with the dubbing. It looks like the easiest to follow, I will have to do it tomorrow, as I have school tomorrow and I cannot do it tonight. Is their any risk of the brake fluid leaking while doing the procedure, as this is my biggest worry with adjusting the brakes.
Regards,

Lachlan

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Unless they are significantly dragging on the disc, a few rides and some good hard braking might wear the pads down enough to stop the rubbing. Worst case is there is too much fluid in the brakes and they will need a bleed (shop job)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 am

I agree, I think I will just ignore it for now and give it a few hard brakes and see if it makes a difference.
Regards,

Lachlan

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm

I think I will go to my LBS this weekend, just to get it checked, just in case.

On that note, yesterday I rode my bike around a few times and I was practicing jumping of kerbs and doing bunnyhops and after a few time of doing it, I drove off and my brakes starting rubbing quite noticeably, so I braked hard few times and it stopped. Why would this occur, I thought this was a 'Mountain Bike'. Is it designed to handle jumps?
Regards,

Lachlan

mick243

Postby mick243 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Lachiepower0402 wrote:I think I will go to my LBS this weekend, just to get it checked, just in case.

On that note, yesterday I rode my bike around a few times and I was practicing jumping of kerbs and doing bunnyhops and after a few time of doing it, I drove off and my brakes starting rubbing quite noticeably, so I braked hard few times and it stopped. Why would this occur, I thought this was a 'Mountain Bike'. Is it designed to handle jumps?
if the rear wheel skewer isnt tight enough, there is a possibility that when you jumped it moved ion its mounting and is no longer square with the brake caliper. (unlikeley, but possible)

its also possible that the brake caliper is slightly loose and the jarring from jumps made it move, and hard braking has moved it back to the right spot.

now youve ridden it a bit, time to check everything out for alignment and correct tightness of bolts etc...... just remember, too tight can be bad too.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I'll have to get the bike shop to check the bolts and screw, as I don't have a torque wrench, but I can check the alignment of the wheels, etc.
Regards,

Lachlan