Looking for a beginner All Mountain, Hardtail Mountain Bike

Lachiepower0402

Re: Looking for a beginner All Mountain, Hardtail Mountain B

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:56 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
Lachiepower0402 wrote:I can't find any XTC bikes for my budget, but their is a Talon for my budget near me:

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27-5-m ... /102593786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll do well with that. A young bloke in my club has been racing one of those in the Victorian Interschool series this year and been getting podiums despite being spectacularly mechanically unsympathetic. If you are just starting out then it is an extremely good place to start. It'll do fine at most of the popular Sydney trails like OMV, Mt Annan, Manly Dam or the new Wylde...or even further afield like Ourimbah.

It won't go so well on things like Oxford Falls but then as a beginner...neither will you.
Thanks for that, I thought that bike might be a pretty good starter bike when I saw it.

On another note, I was thinking of, for a bicycle computer, using my iPhone and an iPhone mount for the bicycle, what is the best iPhone mount for an iPhone 4S that is waterproof, shockproof, etc.

Then their is the problem of charging the phone while I am riding, would I use a hub system (is so which one) or would I use a device which attaches to the rear wheel and is a friction drive generator.
Regards,

Lachlan

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:21 am

Lachiepower0402 wrote:On another note, I was thinking of, for a bicycle computer, using my iPhone and an iPhone mount for the bicycle, what is the best iPhone mount for an iPhone 4S that is waterproof, shockproof, etc.

Then their is the problem of charging the phone while I am riding, would I use a hub system (is so which one) or would I use a device which attaches to the rear wheel and is a friction drive generator.
Don't bother...just save a bit of cash ($140) for a Garmin 200.

If you feel you must use the iThingy then check out Quad Lock for the mount http://www.quadlockcase.com/products/qu ... phone-4-4s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with a Poncho cover http://www.quadlockcase.com/products/po ... tant-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Power supply would be best managed by one of the new generation of power banks/external batteries I've seen at Office Works and the like rather than a generator.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:43 am

A Cheap Cateye or Sigma bike computer or similar will get you started. They measure time and distance etc

A single charge battery is $20 at Office works and a battery with 3 charges is $60. Kogan also sell cheap batteries to recharge phones.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 am

Or get a shockproof and weather proof phone. My sony has taken the brunt of a few bit hits - it's scratched a bit but still going strong. Samsung also have similar offerings - their S5 is weatherproof.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Just to clarify, I will be looking further into the Giant Talon, at my LBS and if everything checks out, I will be getting it.

I will probably save my money and get a cheap sigma bicycle computer for a starter.
Regards,

Lachlan

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:15 pm

I just remembered, I once bought a Diamond Back Cycle computer, they only have one. It was awesome, I bought it from Big W, Yes I know how bad Big W is for bikes, but hear me out.

I rode with this cycle computer in the rain multiple times and it got soaked and it was fine, it was only about $30.

I don't have it anymore as I moved it to another bike and accidentally lost the transmitter. I still have the receiver

Has anyone had any bad experiences with these?
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:15 pm

I have tried a couple of cheap bike computers. Both died. I have had a much better run with a base model Sigma that cost about $25 online.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Cateye are a good brand, been around for years and lots of different models to suit everyone and all applications.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Newbie here so take this with a grain of salt...

I was originally looking at the Talon but eventually forked out (no pun intended) for the XTC Advanced 29er and so far (650km on the road) I'm pretty happy with it. Did Manly Dam a few weeks ago as my very first off-road experience and I'm really happy with the bike - it was kind to me, only bucking me off twice! If the Talon offers a similar experience then I suspect you'll be happy with it too!

As for bike computers, I was also originally looking at smart phone mounts (there's seemingly hundreds out there) but after very disappointing results with the tracking (Android - My Tracks) I wanted a more reliable and versatile solution - something waterproof, better battery life, and more convenient. I picked up a Suunto Ambit2 a few weeks ago and am loving it; it ticks all the boxes for me! I was too scared to wear it to Manly Dam though... :oops:

I've only just discovered Strava and Veloviewer connectivity though! :wink:
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Like I said, my parents are the ones providing the money and I have MAXIMUM budget of $1529. The XTC Advanced looks like quite a good bike, I would be getting a bike a lot better if I could afford it. Also if I buy the talon I only have $130 spare change, and that is not enough for the Sunnto watch, do they have any watches for this price bracket that are GPS enabled. Or are their are any other watches for this price that do the same thing?
Regards,

Lachlan

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Just buy a wired basic $10 computer and run strava (or similar) on your phone in your jersey pocket if you want.

I suggest you shop around and look at discounted 2014 models (instead of 2015). Most of the time the only difference is a new paint job or a few different components.

for example the 2014 giant xtc 2 is within your budget at the same store you linked above but there is only xs and xl sizes left (probs why it is so heavily discounted) http://www.cycleworld.com.au/a/27-5-mou ... /102283157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another thing, If you have a max budget of 1500 then I suggest you buy a cheaper bike and leave more money for accessories. There is so much necessary stuff to buy and it all adds up. For one thing, bikes don't come with pedals. If you want to use clipless pedals then just getting pedals and shoes at a bike shop would blow out/use up your $130 spare change.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:25 pm

I found the same bicycle at my LBS for the same price:

http://blackmanbicycles.com.au/shop/giant-xtc-275-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one you listed is not in my size which is Medium.

My LBS also has this pedal, and it I bought it I will still have some cash left over. Is it a good pedal and will it work?

http://blackmanbicycles.com.au/shop/shimano-m520-pedal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards,

Lachlan

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Those pedals are good. Have you used clipless pedals before? Do you have shoes? If it is your first time then I would suggest buying everything (pedals+shoes) at the bike shop and let them set everything up for you. Otherwise it is a little cheaper online.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:38 pm

My bad, I didn't want those pedals where you have to clip into with shoes. Because I have never used them and I know that when I start out on them, I won't be very good as disconnecting from them and if I crash I'm going down with the bike.

I can't see any pedals that are clipless on my LBS's website within my budget, what can you recommend?
Regards,

Lachlan

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:39 pm

I found the cheapest place for the Ambit2 was Amazon in the US (USD$308) but I was fortunate in that my business partner was flying back from the US at just the right time, so it was shipped to him. Still outside your price range, granted, sorry. There are cheaper watches - I think the Garmin Forerunner 10 got a good rap - but when I saw the Suunto it was all over! It's an early xmas present from the wife! :wink:

Good advice on the bike from homo; I was originally after a 2014 XTC Advanced but it soon became apparent that there were none left in Australia in my size. Of course by then I had my mind set on it so I had no choice but to opt for the 2015 model. :P LBS was good enough to give me some sort of discount at least. My bike was my present to myself after a decent bonus for the financial year.

And again, as homo suggested, you're looking at pedals & helmet just to ride the bike home. Soon you'll be after gloves and shorts, then a small hand pump and spare tube (or 2) & levers to carry with you, bell, water bottle & bracket or hydration pack. Next on my shopping list is a bike rack for the car, a floor pump, and possibly a pump for my front forks, and a torque wrench/driver to adjust my seat post (carbon frames only). Eventually I'll end up with shoes and cleats, a variety of clothing for both MTB and road riding, and probably stuff I don't even know I want yet! Oh and of course the other (n-1) bikes! :mrgreen:
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Lachiepower0402 wrote:My bad, I didn't want those pedals where you have to clip into with shoes. Because I have never used them and I know that when I start out on them, I won't be very good as disconnecting from them and if I crash I'm going down with the bike.
My feelings exactly! From memory my (extra wide MTB) pedals were about $50 from my LBS, but they had a cheaper option ($35 rings a bell).

Having said that, I was MTB'ing a few weeks ago and a couple of times my feet slipped/bounced off the pedals and I found myself careering down the hill trying to find my pedal. Not a big drama but I suspect that's one good reason why people use clip-in pedals/shoes. The other reason being of course it's a more efficient use of your leg power.

I suspect it won't be too long before I bite the bullet and make the transition.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:49 pm

I think for other items I will just be getting pedals and a cheap computer.

I already have an expensive watch, so I don't want to get another expensive-ish watch. So I will probably just start out with a cheap bicycle computer and later on I will be looking at a cheap Garmin Bicycle Computer.

I already have a helmet, front light (very bright), pump, water bottle and cage for water bottle. The only other thing I would need maybe is a rear red light for night time riding.

Also about the pedals, if I good clip-in pedals I would not have enough money for shoes, because surely shoes are not $20 if the pedals are $50. I will only have about $20 left I buy $50 pedals.
Regards,

Lachlan

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Lachiepower0402 wrote:I already have ...pump...
How old is the pump? I was surprised to discover the valves on new tubes are nothing like the old BMX bike I rode as a kid. IIRC the new tubes are also higher pressure too!?! Hence the new pump for me (it's also smaller and more durable than the one(s) I already had).
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Well it isn't really a bicycle pump, it is a heavy small foot pump, but it is very very good and cheap.
Regards,

Lachlan

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:54 pm

As I said, you'll have to check your valves on the new bike...
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:57 pm

My pump goes up to about 120psi, is that enough?
Regards,

Lachlan

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:13 pm

It's the type that matters!
2021 Giant Contend AR1

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:29 am

For a Little more these pedals are much nicer than m520's
http://www.this link is broken/shimano-xt-pd-m ... ce-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People say pedals are all the same. I disagree and think XT are well worth the extra money. They last a very long time.

http://www.this link is broken/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; M520 for $23 plus post

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:21 am

I also would not want to buy the pedals online, I was hoping to find some at a store.

For a few months could I just use the standard plastic pedals that I have on my Repco bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

Lachlan

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:48 am

Buying a bike from a LBS is a wise decision.

The reality is you can easily save 50% buying parts online from the UK.

Depends on the pedals. I probably wouldn't ride cheap plastic pedals off road.