Looking for a beginner All Mountain, Hardtail Mountain Bike

Lachiepower0402

Re: Looking for a beginner All Mountain, Hardtail Mountain B

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:35 am

How about these pedals

http://www.this link is broken/wellgo-lu-987u-flat-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or these: http://www.this link is broken/shimano-m424-spd-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only want to get flat pedals, not the clip pedals.
Regards,

Lachlan

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:45 pm

My parents, still told me they do not want me buying things online, yes I know it is a pain. I will be visiting the bike shop tomorrow to have a look at their range and size my self up. While I am their I will also be looking at other parts such as pedals, what pedals should I be looking for (flat pedals).
Regards,

Lachlan

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Probably just see what range of pedals they have and talk to the people working there. The LBS people should be able to recommend something from what they sell.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:28 pm

So I visited the bike shop today, and my parents still want to buy all the parts in the same shop. I have also decided to possibly get cleat shoes.
These are the parts and prices

Giant Talon 1 27.5" $1,399
Shoes $130
Pedals $69 X 2
Tyre repair kit with pump $60
Rear light $50

Subtotal $1,777

We will have to get a discount on the bike, the guy at the shop said he can organise a deal, when we go and buy it, because at the moment we are still discussing it.
Regards,

Lachlan

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Don't pay more than 90% RRP. I got a 10% discount on the 2015 XTC model, and it had just been released! So if you can't do at least that well, go to another shop.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks, I will make sure I get that.

Is their anything other accessories that I need, excluding helmet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

Lachlan

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:53 pm

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/29er-m ... /102584242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norco Charger 9.2 2015
Price $1,349

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Are the shocks on the Norco as good as the Talon.

Also I was thinking, with my wireless cycling computer, I still have the screen, but I have lost the wireless magnet that attaches to the wheel. Is it possible to make one or just buy the wireless magnet and not the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

Lachlan

TouringPhil

Postby TouringPhil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 am

I purchased the 2014 Giant Talon 1 27.5 for $1145.00 apx 5 months ago at a Giant shop

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 am

Do you mean a Giant reseller or a dedicated Giant shop?
Regards,

Lachlan

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:07 am

With the suspension, do I use lockout while I am on a road and trail on rough terrain.

Lastly, are their any other accessories that I will need, except the ones I have listed and a water bottle and helmet.

Thank you in advance
Regards,

Lachlan

TouringPhil

Postby TouringPhil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:28 am

I purchased from a dedicated Giant store. At Sunshine Coast QLD. However there customer support was very lacking.

TouringPhil

Postby TouringPhil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:29 am

I always lock mine on road and unlock off road

TouringPhil

Postby TouringPhil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:32 am

You should get at least 15% off, I would start pushing for 20% off.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks for the advice,

The people at the store I go to have excellent customer service and I have been going there for over 10 years, I will try and get the best discount I can around 20%.

Regards,
Lachiepower0402
Regards,

Lachlan

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Could someone please answer my question, relating to, are their any other accessories that I need except the ones that I have listed, which are:

- Shoes
- Pedals
- Tire repair kit with pump
- Rear light
- Cycling computer
- Helmet
- Bottle cage with bottle

Thanks you in advance
Regards,

Lachlan

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

You don't NEED much to have a good ride, however I would add a multi tool to that list. Something with a chain breaker to allow you to repair anything out in the field. A saddle bag is handy to store your bits n pieces in if you don't carry a backpack/camelback.

If you are riding off the beaten trail a camelback is a good option as it allows a quick sip without reaching down twice to get/replace the bottle and can make taking a few sips quite easy and still maintain control. Having said that I'm quite enjoying going with a bottle lately and not ending up with a sweaty back, but mainly for shorter stop/start type riding with mates, not for enduro riding like a 100k event.

Gloves are good too as are cycling shorts and shirts. I rode for years in regular casual gear with no ill effects, but have found that a sports shirt or cycling jersey is more comfortable. I haven't got any jerseys and make do with cheap aldi sports shirts. A decent pair of nicks is much better for long rides but for under about 90min I don't bother and just ride in a quick dry pair of shorts.

If you are really budget conscious and won't ride in the dark leave the rear light off the list, for now and the computer could wait if you have a smart phone. Use an app to track your rides, if you need to you can stop and check your phone in a few seconds, the display on your stem is nice, but not essential.
Last edited by bychosis on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks for all that, I already have a multi-tool, but it does not have a chain breaker on it, I was going to get one anyway for another project.

The tire repair kit comes with a saddlebag.

I think for the first few races I will use the drink bottle holder I already have as they will only be short as I am getting used to using it, then when I start going to big races I will invest in more expensive options.

For the gloves, would you recommend open finger gloves or closed finger gloves?

Thank you in advance
Regards,

Lachlan

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:57 pm

XC racing go for fingerless gloves unless it's winter, it's about giving your hands a bit of extra padding, full finger is for warmth or crash protection - and I avoid the crash thing where possible.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:05 pm

What gloves and chain breaker would you recommend, in a low price bracket, as the chain breaker I was looking at, looked too cheap and I have no idea of what gloves to buy.
Regards,

Lachlan

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 am

Not sure why you would need a chainbreaker to take with you on rides. I've been riding (99% road) for more years and kms than I can count and NEVER had a use for a chainbreaker. Sure, if you DIY maintenace at home, but not needed out on the road/trail IMO.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:58 pm

Have a squiz at the Topeak Nexus (Hexus?) multitool which comes with a chain beaker and couple of tyre levers built in. I have used it in anger on the trail to repair broken chains. Don't forget to get a KMC Quick Link or similar either

As for gloves...check out the local motorbike shop for some un-padded motorcross gloves like Fox Dirtpaw/Pawtector (I also like the Ground Effect High Fives http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/ACC/HIG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). They'll have a better range of gloves than your LBS will. Always get full fingered gloves if heading for the trail...

As for the rest of your list...
- Shoes
- Pedals
- Tyre repair kit with pump
- Rear light
- Cycling computer
- Helmet
- Bottle cage with bottle

I'd add...

- two spare tubes
- tubeless sealant (to put in the tubes)
- workshop tools like a chain whip, cassette tool, bottom bracket tool, metric hex keys, #1 and #2 phillips head screwdrivers, torx head driver, 3 - 15 Nm torque wrench...

I'd be inclined to forget about the puncture repair kit because tubes are cheap and filling your tubes with sealant is effective. In the long run, I'd look to converting your wheels to tubeless though.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I will be adding these to my list

- Un-padded full finger gloves
- KMC Quick links
- Topeak hexus

I may be getting spare tubes instead of the tire repair kit, but I may not because it would be cheaper to buy the kit than buying tubes and a pump, I will have to discuss it with my parents.

I don't want to get the tools you listed yet as I cannot afford all the tools, especially the torque wrench.
Regards,

Lachlan

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Ross wrote:Not sure why you would need a chainbreaker to take with you on rides. I've been riding (99% road) for more years and kms than I can count and NEVER had a use for a chainbreaker. Sure, if you DIY maintenace at home, but not needed out on the road/trail IMO.
I've been stuck without a chain breaker. Particularly nasty mis shift during a road crossing with oncoming traffic twisted my chain, called for the sag wagon because I couldn't keep the chain on the chainrings and couldn't fix the chain. If I had a breaker I could have takena a Link or two out and carried on. Have also been in a situation to use my breaker on someone else's bike after theirs broke.

Plus one for tubeless wheels if you can.

Lachiepower0402

Postby Lachiepower0402 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm

My parents are still with the idea of the tire repair kit with the pump, so I will have to get that. I have rung the bike shop and enquired about the accessories and bike for a price, they will ring me tomorrow and tell me the lowest price and if they can have the bike ordered by Saturday, which is when I will pick it up, if it is available.
Regards,

Lachlan