TT Bike or carbon Wheels?

Jace

TT Bike or carbon Wheels?

Postby Jace » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Ok I understand the stupidity of this question before I ask it since it has so many variables and depends so much on needs but I'd be interested to get some peoples feedback anyway...

So getting my tax refund back and the plan was to buy myself some Swissside Hadrons and a cheap second hand TT bike. For a total spend of around the $1800 mark....problem is I can't find even a semi reasonable TT bike for anything under $1400 which puts my budget out.

Do I hold out for a budget TT bike and get the Hadrons on the Roadie or put the Hadrons on hold for a year and go the better TT bike?
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moosterbounce

Re: TT Bike or carbon Wheels?

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:50 pm

I'd get the bike if you want to do TTs. You can find some second hand wheels easy.
What size are you? I am just waiting delivery of a new TT bike as my current one is too big - it might only be an Oppy but is lovely and has been on the road once and was used for rehab on a trainer post knee surgery.

Jace

Postby Jace » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:21 pm

Yeah I'm pretty keen to give some TTs a go. I'm thinking I am probably a 56cm. At least that's what my roadie is.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Save your money till you have done a TT ( or 2 ) ... put some clip on TT bars on your roadie and give it a go. If you really like it them you can build a quick TT bike for Au $1800 including frame but not wheels. If you go the whole hog then TT'ing can add up quite a bit ... new bike / wheels / helmet / skinsuit / shoe covers etc.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:45 am

toolonglegs wrote:Save your money till you have done a TT ( or 2 ) ... put some clip on TT bars on your roadie and give it a go. If you really like it them you can build a quick TT bike for Au $1800 including frame but not wheels. If you go the whole hog then TT'ing can add up quite a bit ... new bike / wheels / helmet / skinsuit / shoe covers etc.
+1

try before you buy, before you start pouring money into the sport

agree it is easy to build/buy a decent bike for $1800 (without wheels), that is what mine cost with training wheels.

find your local TT association and check out Bicycle Market on facebook.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:44 pm

You should be able to build "a" bike for much less than $1400 and set it up well for TT use.
A proper TT position that's comfortable, aero and allows you to make good power is by far the most important, having a "proper", aero TT frame is only a marginal gain.

I'm currently using an old cannondale frame for TT work. The frame was free, components I either had or bought 2nd hand and I use my aero road wheels. Cost was VERY minimal.

Jace

Postby Jace » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:05 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Save your money till you have done a TT ( or 2 ) ... put some clip on TT bars on your roadie and give it a go. If you really like it them you can build a quick TT bike for Au $1800 including frame but not wheels. If you go the whole hog then TT'ing can add up quite a bit ... new bike / wheels / helmet / skinsuit / shoe covers etc.
nickobec wrote:
+1

try before you buy, before you start pouring money into the sport

agree it is easy to build/buy a decent bike for $1800 (without wheels), that is what mine cost with training wheels.

find your local TT association and check out Bicycle Market on facebook.
I have done a few on the roadie already, enough to think I am keen to do a fair few more at least. A couple of times the road bike has done fine, others I find myself wishing for a TT bike. I am aware its one of those things you can drop thousands on in terms of bike, wheels and accessories etc etc.

I spoke to a couple of club guys about the clip on aero bars and they both said they were a bit pointless as the position they generally placed your upper body at was worse off than just riding in the drops and didn't have the benefit of shifting either.
KGB wrote:You should be able to build "a" bike for much less than $1400 and set it up well for TT use.
A proper TT position that's comfortable, aero and allows you to make good power is by far the most important, having a "proper", aero TT frame is only a marginal gain.

I'm currently using an old cannondale frame for TT work. The frame was free, components I either had or bought 2nd hand and I use my aero road wheels. Cost was VERY minimal.
I am not worried about the aero frame due to its minimal gain but the TT bars, end shifters and components are the main difference. I figured by the time I find a frame, components, end shifters, wheels etc and build it I can probably pick something up thats complete? Like I from looking around I have come across complete set ups on the Cannondale Slice and Cervelo P3 for about the 1.5K - 1.8K mark. I don't know how much cheaper I could do it for separately?

trianything

Postby trianything » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Maybe second hand if you end up deciding to buy? I've found mates of mates are a not uncommon source. Someone's bought a new one and the old bike is sitting hidden from view from the missus. Look out for somebody your size who's got a shiny new one. Used TT bikes usually in good nick. Specialized reckon shaving your legs cheapest aero upgrade too ;)

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:40 am

trianything wrote:Maybe second hand if you end up deciding to buy? I've found mates of mates are a not uncommon source. Someone's bought a new one and the old bike is sitting hidden from view from the missus. Look out for somebody your size who's got a shiny new one. Used TT bikes usually in good nick. Specialized reckon shaving your legs cheapest aero upgrade too ;)
Yeah it looks like some better value kit can be found second hand, now just need to find the right opportunity! :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:14 am

Jace wrote:Yeah I'm pretty keen to give some TTs a go. I'm thinking I am probably a 56cm. At least that's what my roadie is.
Generally too you go a size down in TT bikes from your road bike.

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:14 am

You can regularly find 105 level bikes from name brands for $400-500.
Flop and chop the bars, buy TT shifters, non STI brake levers, aero bars and probably a new stem to get the position right and you're set. Those bits should be easily under $200, plus you can sell the STI levers for ~$100.

Add some fancy wheels when you can and you're set.
I recently picked up a set of barely used carbon corimas with near new tyres for $112! It had an 8 speed cassette fitted, I just neeeded to swap that for a 10spd and they were good to go.

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:38 pm

Ross wrote:
Jace wrote:Yeah I'm pretty keen to give some TTs a go. I'm thinking I am probably a 56cm. At least that's what my roadie is.
Generally too you go a size down in TT bikes from your road bike.
I have heard that as well but I don't know if that rule fits for me. I'm 6'2 (187) so fairly tall but most of my height is upper body. My road bike is 56 which seems to be pretty right. I sat on a 55cm TT bike yesterday but felt a bit cramped. The seat height was fine but I wasn't stretched out onto the aero bars very well, I was having to very slightly hunch up which I didn't think seemed right?

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 pm

KGB wrote:You can regularly find 105 level bikes from name brands for $400-500.
Flop and chop the bars, buy TT shifters, non STI brake levers, aero bars and probably a new stem to get the position right and you're set. Those bits should be easily under $200, plus you can sell the STI levers for ~$100.

Add some fancy wheels when you can and you're set.
I recently picked up a set of barely used carbon corimas with near new tyres for $112! It had an 8 speed cassette fitted, I just neeeded to swap that for a 10spd and they were good to go.
Good point, maybe I am over complicating things as far as a conversion would go. Assuming I have a standard road bike, what would I need to convert it?

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Errr, the stuff I wrote in the post you quoted...?
The only other thing you MAY need is a zero setback seatpost. You generally want to take your road position and imagine you're rotating your entire body forwards, its not just all about the arms and upper body position.

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:49 pm

KGB wrote:Errr, the stuff I wrote in the post you quoted...?
The only other thing you MAY need is a zero setback seatpost. You generally want to take your road position and imagine you're rotating your entire body forwards, its not just all about the arms and upper body position.
Haha, I had read that but was replying on my phone and didn't really make sense with what I was typing. I meant would that be a full list of things Id need to buy? IE:

TT shifters
Brake levers
Aero bars
Stem

That seems to be too easy. hahaha

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:40 am

That's really it. Add bullhorns if you don't want to go for the povo option of flipping the drop bars upside down and chopping them. Definitely new shift cables, brake cables will possibly be fine.
I'd definitely use a zero setback seat post as well, if the bike doesn't come with one.
Probably new bar tape.

Then you can start "customising" a bit with things like a proper TT seat, changing crank length (much debate on this one) and fitting elliptical chainrings, a bigger big ring etc.

Off the back

Postby Off the back » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Jace wrote:
KGB wrote:Errr, the stuff I wrote in the post you quoted...?
Haha, I had read that but was replying on my phone and didn't really make sense with what I was typing. I meant would that be a full list of things Id need to buy? IE:

TT shifters
Brake levers
Aero bars
Stem

That seems to be too easy. hahaha
Thats interesting, that was something I was looking at as well. I hadn't really considered the saddle part as much so thats something else I'll need to add to my list if I go down that route.