Mid depth aeros - what to buy, how much to spend!

trianything

Mid depth aeros - what to buy, how much to spend!

Postby trianything » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Following on from my last thread, just thought I'd see what the thoughts are out there. Not a debate about whether aero wheels make you faster or have a better ride feel. Just what to go for once one has decided to get SOMETHING. So no need to address the virtues of aero vs non- rims which have been covered to death of course.

Spend $2K and get something like Reynold Assault SLG's.

Spend $3K and get Enve 3.4 / Zipp 303's Bont 3 or 5 D3's etc.

For everyday use training and events. And yes I'm grateful to be in the position to choose! Just interested to hear.

rjk

Re: Mid depth aeros - what to buy, how much to spend!

Postby rjk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Look up swissside hadrons on here great write up and forum information. I purchased some based on the write ups here couldn't be happier
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Spend less...worry less. I'd spend up on the hubs and down on the rims as the latter are technically disposable items. If you were racing for ten tenths then spend up by all means but for every day stuff...no.

Those Reynolds on some White Industries T11's would be nice...

But for the money ($1,550 inc GST)....these are hard to beat (and they are Oz assembled and come with a 1/2 price crash replacement warranty) http://www.zelvycarbon.com/store/goodie ... 2338-comp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there's also a 50mm version for a bit more cash
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:41 pm

$1000 on FLO 60's and spend the rest on beer and pizza.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:51 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote: Those Reynolds on some White Industries T11's would be nice...
Depends how much you wanna spend, I guess...

Your Perth based, right? ^^ Speak to Cycles Bespoke about him building you up some Reynolds SLG with the White Ind T11's, and DT or Sapim spokes (or any other rim you want, for that matter).

Or, there are some new (and apparently genuine) Zipp 404 FC's on Gumtree locally, for a bit over $2k (if Zipps are your thing).
Or some Shimano Dura Ace C50's would come in at about $2k.

Or some Hadrons, or the Pro-Lite A42 Bracciano's, for a bit less than the others.

There are plenty of options that people can throw up. Just depends on what you are wanting to spend!

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Lightweight Meilensteins or Obermayers. The best wheels available. Other riders may boast that they have Ferraris or Lamborghinis (Enves or Zipps for example) but when you have the Bugatti Veyron, there is nothing they can say.

trianything

Postby trianything » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Yup might give Cycles Bespoke a call. No right answer is there, about how much to spend and what to get? Similar philosophies with any purchase. Reckon so long as not disappointed or left wanting, it'll work. Nice to see the answers. I like the idea of saving $$ for recovery pizza and beers.
I did contact Flo. Great value. Decided the cut off for rim weight about 450g seeing as I like the hills. Spend less worry less is something I am starting to come round to.
Those gumtree Zipps are too good to be true eh!

trianything

Postby trianything » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Jeez I wish I could afford Lightweights. At that price there's a risk of babying them. Also profile not necessarily the best for crosswinds for a lightie like myself.

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Few sets of Enves on ebay at the moment too at about 2K. I'd be looking into that.
silentbutdeadly wrote:Spend less...worry less. I'd spend up on the hubs and down on the rims as the latter are technically disposable items. If you were racing for ten tenths then spend up by all means but for every day stuff...no.
Same thought process as me. I'm awaiting some Light Bicycle u shaped 45mm rims that i'll be building up with Chris King R45 hubs and Sapim Cxray. Should come in at about 1350g and cost about $11000-1200 all up. The money I'm saving will be going for a set of Shamal Mille when they're released. Which look super hot for alloys.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:36 pm

trianything wrote:Yup might give Cycles Bespoke a call.

Those gumtree Zipps are too good to be true eh!
Do... they are good guys and I understand are very handy with handbuilds.

Hmm... I dunno. They look okay to me from the pics, but Im not really a Zipp aficionado so I wouldnt know the intricacies.
Worth checking out though.

Or these were posted recently on CyclingTips, if your ok to look at used (and save some $$).
http://cyclingtips.com.au/marketplace-a ... one-sle-1/
http://cyclingtips.com.au/marketplace-a ... edition-1/
Think they are both posted on here too, so you're likely to be buying from other BNA members if that makes you more comfortable.

Based on the comments from many on here, you wouldnt be going wrong with the Hadrons at the price, though.

Postby 90125 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Arlberg wrote:Lightweight Meilensteins or Obermayers. The best wheels available. Other riders may boast that they have Ferraris or Lamborghinis (Enves or Zipps for example) but when you have the Bugatti Veyron, there is nothing they can say.
Lightweights are nice but they are no Bugatti Veyron except in the mind of people with no clue. I've owned sets of them for many years and whilst they are really solid wheelsets, they simply don't hold a candle to current tech aero wheelsets. The tech in Lightweights is 20 years old and it shows.

So, don't think you have a Bugatti Veyron. You have (and paid for) a very outdated Porsche 911 that is mercifully very reliable.