Another 'which bike' question...

Shadyone

Another 'which bike' question...

Postby Shadyone » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:37 pm

More of a which type of bike question..

I've been riding a borrowed 5 year old Giant Defy....The gears miss and skip every now and then and I sometimes feel like my teeth are about to rattle out on rough roads but it's free.
Anyway I want to buy a bike, my first since a teenager and I would like to be comfortable on the bike for an extended ride which I'm not on the Giant. How do I work out if I want/need an endurance style bike like a Roubaix/Synapse/Domane or a more the more aggressive positioned style of bike? The only pointers I've had is that if I can't touch my toes then go for an endurance style bike. I can easily touch my toes so does that mean I buy a Tarmac/Madone?

I've read many people suggest to try as many bikes as you can but how do you organise a ride on different bikes? without feeling obligated to buy a bike if it doesn't work out? Even if it means the first one is the perfect bike I wouldn't know until I've tried others.
Trek 4.7

eeksll

Re: Another 'which bike' question...

Postby eeksll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:54 pm

In short a endurance style bike has a taller headtube so the handlebars sit a bit higher and on a racier style bike the headtube is slightly lower. But in practice the difference is pretty small, if you compare the giant defy vs the tcr in the medium size its only 1.5cm difference.

So in practice there is quite a bit of overlap regarding setup. ie you can set up a TCR to the same position as a defy. The extremes being the exception. It most likely will come down to looks ... cause a lower stem will look better :D so a slammed stem on a defy would have a spacer or two on the TCR to reach the same geometry.

Generally you would be more comfortable on a bike with slightly higher handlebars than one which is lower. I don't think it would be the case that you would be more comfortable on a more aggresive position even if you where flexible enough to sit in that position.

Giant do test rides where you can book the bike out for a day. You could try the defy range and then the tcr range.

Also whats uncomfortable about the defy?, i assume its a 2009 giant defy, there is nothing wrong with that bike. If its the wrong size, then thats an issue, if it is the right size then a new bike will have the same comfort levels.

Gears miss/skip can be fixed, but will cost you depending on how much is wrong. Could be a simple cable change or you might need new cassette/chain/chainrings as well.

With the rough roads, what tyre size and pressure are you running? A slightly fatter tyre with lower tyre pressure might be the solution. There is nothing particular about that defy that would make it bumpier than a new bike. With the same tyre size and pressure a new bike will feel just as bumpy.

Shadyone

Postby Shadyone » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks for the help..
The current Defy is, I believe a little on the small side. It's a 55.5 frame and I'm 183cm with an 84cm inseam. Every calculator I've used suggests a 58 and the cyclesport calculator suggested a 60. I got a tape measure out and measured the Horizontal distance of the top tube and ended up pretty close to the 55.5cm. The step is 80mm long. So all in all I assume that the bike a too small for me. I have nothing to compare it to but hope to soon. Anyway, sooner or later the bike will need to go back it's owner and I'll need my own.

I've had the front and rear derailleur tuned and it helped but the front gear still miss and then skip. When I took the bike to the shop one of the mechanics mentioned radial spokes and the aluminum frame would transfer every bump to my wrists/shoulders. The wheels are after market and the front spokes are 'built' different to the rear, I'm not even sure if they're the same type/brand of wheels. I'm pretty sure they're 700*23 size and I pump both front and back to 100psi.

Your last comment interesting point...
eeksll wrote: There is nothing particular about that defy that would make it bumpier than a new bike. With the same tyre size and pressure a new bike will feel just as bumpy.
So a Cannondale CAAD 8 Aluminum frame with same size/pressure tyres will be the same..How about an aluminum Synapse/Domane/Roubaix will they also feel just as bumpy?
Trek 4.7

JetRangerMike

Postby JetRangerMike » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:40 am

I've just bought a Specialized Roubaix for some of the same reasons as you mentioned (my older alum bike was shaking the crap outta me on longer rides on ordinary roads).

It's still early days for me and the Roubaix, but first few rides I have been amazed at just how smooth it rides with so much of the bone shaking taken out.

I bought the 2015 sport with the new 11sp 105 group and it runs really nice.

I've got a 130km ride this weekend which will be the real test of just how much better I feel after a longer ride.

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:56 am

My answer comes from the viewpoint of a dedicated comfort seeker, but I shall not comment on frame sizing.

I share your disdain for road vibration, maybe for different reasons but I have done my best to eliminate road vibration on all my bikes.

I rode a 2009 TCR Adv. frame for a couple of years, it was great value for money - very lightweight and stiff but the high frequency road vibe was not to my liking and was tiring and taking the edge off my riding.

First and foremost, my experience is that wheels and particularly tyres will make the greatest difference to a bike's seat of the pants feel over rough surfaces. Try some wider tyres on your Defy wheels or at least try them on a new bike purchase which will allow you to run them at slightly lower pressures and will assist in cutting down a lot of the high pitch road vibe.

Secondly I found that alloy road frames transfered more of the high freq. vibration into my saddle and handlebars than carbon frames do. If you want to eliminate the harshness of high pitch vibration then I'd recommend you look at carbon frames or steel frames.

Thirdly, don't automatically go for the lightest frame set just because it's uber lightweight. I have ridden / tested extensively quite a few carbon frame bikes and my own two carbon frame bikes are by far the most smooth over the road and are both heavier than the framesets I've tried at the lighter end of the scale. I have also found from trial and error, that a decent pair of carbon fibre bars and under bar tape gel inserts work wonders at eliminating vibration transfer compared to plain tape wrapped alloy or steel bars.

Fourthly, test ride your options. If you can swing a test ride at one place then move on to some place that really want's your business. A test ride is by no means the ultimate decider, however, you can gain no seat of the pants feeling from staring at a bunch of bikes on the shop floor.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:00 am

I agree with everything eeksll said and questions he raised.

I have an alum TCR, a plastic TCR and a few steel bikes.

I just want to throw in my 2 cents worth. All being equal, when considering frame material and comfort, aluminium is most harsh, followed by plastic. Steel is most comfortable.

All frame materials can be built light or heavy, rigid or flexible, upright or aero depending on design & $$$.

If you want comfort, I would go for a steel frame, correctly sized & fitted out for you that will take 28mm tyres.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:06 am

Shadyone wrote: The current Defy is, I believe a little on the small side. It's a 55.5 frame and I'm 183cm with an 84cm inseam. Every calculator I've used suggests a 58 and the cyclesport calculator suggested a 60.
No, I reckon it's about the right size. Due to Giant's aggressive compact geometry, their frame measurements seem smaller than they really are; the 55.5 (Large) equates pretty closely to a 58 in traditional geometry. I'd even suggest trying the size down, 53,5 Medium-Large, 'cos you are at the short end of the suggested height range for the 55.5.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:20 am

Shadyone wrote:So a Cannondale CAAD 8 Aluminum frame with same size/pressure tyres will be the same..How about an aluminum Synapse/Domane/Roubaix will they also feel just as bumpy?
Open Roader has some suggestions regarding that. When I went from my alum road bike to my carbon road bike, it wasn't like OMGosh this is smoother, but I dont usually ride on bumpy roads.

Also inline with what OR was talking about in regards to wheels, I moved my wheels over to the new bike too so that is atleast one constant factor.

If you do get a test ride, make sure you go over the same bumpy roads you are currently going over :)

FYI regarding tyre pressures what pressures are you currently running and what tyres are you running at 80ish kg, I run a 25c tyre with 80psi in the front and 100-110psi at the back.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:34 am

I agree with you Duck. I had a 55.5cm (Large) Aluxx Defy 1 and it was the PERFECT size for me - 185cm and 87cm inseam. Admittedly, I rode it with no headset spacers fitted to get lower in front - but is was a great bike and I only sold it to get the second CAAD10.

Shadyone - there are many, many options out there now and to be brutally honest, it may come down to buying the bike that you like the look of the most and which has the component set and price range you have set. I am yet to come across one of the 'brand' bicycles which is garbage, so your choice is only limited by you.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with aluminium framesets.

Cheers and good luck in your endeavours.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:48 am

Shadyone wrote:Thanks for the help..
The current Defy is, I believe a little on the small side. It's a 55.5 frame and I'm 183cm with an 84cm inseam. Every calculator I've used suggests a 58 and the cyclesport calculator suggested a 60. I got a tape measure out and measured the Horizontal distance of the top tube and ended up pretty close to the 55.5cm. The step is 80mm long. So all in all I assume that the bike a too small for me. I have nothing to compare it to but hope to soon. Anyway, sooner or later the bike will need to go back it's owner and I'll need my own.
Duck! wrote:
Shadyone wrote: The current Defy is, I believe a little on the small side. It's a 55.5 frame and I'm 183cm with an 84cm inseam. Every calculator I've used suggests a 58 and the cyclesport calculator suggested a 60.
No, I reckon it's about the right size. Due to Giant's aggressive compact geometry, their frame measurements seem smaller than they really are; the 55.5 (Large) equates pretty closely to a 58 in traditional geometry. I'd even suggest trying the size down, 53,5 Medium-Large, 'cos you are at the short end of the suggested height range for the 55.5.
the way i read that is that Shadyone's current ride, ie. the borrowed bike is a bit small at 55.5 ETT. the 2015 Defy in a large (57.5 ETT) would fit the bill perfectly (despite being called a 55.5, the sloping top tube obviously creates a shorter seat tube length)
iw ould even say their sizing is a little large... at 5'9" i'm usually a medium, but my 2014 TCX is a small, and i test rode a small 2015 Defy as well which felt bang on.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:16 pm

I agree with Duck, I ride a Large OCR2 which is the preceding model to the Defy series with quite similar geometry, I'm 182cm and find myself quite comfy on it as these frames are a very big frame. Unless you really have your heart set on something else, it'd be worthwhile throwing a few bucks at the Defy and putting a new cassette/chainrings/chain on it and if you're really keen add some brake pads, tyres and give it a full service to give it a bit of a birthday. It'll ride like a new bike for a fraction of the cost. By the way, try using 28mm tyres at lower pressures if you ride rough roads, it works.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Just as an aside- many of the new aluminum frames don't really deserve the harsh ride tag anymore. The CAAD series (Cannondale) have a great reputation and my TCR SLR1is not much harsher than my steel bike (which is plenty comfy) or previous carbon bikes I have ridden. In addition for the price point you get much better spec than for a carbon frame (ie. Ultegra instead of 105 etc).
I found the biggest differences were firstly running 25mm tyres instead of 23mm and secondly building up wider rimmed wheelset which improves the ride.
Just be careful with the borrowed bike- if there are lots of worn out components that need replacing the cost can end up being close to that of purchasing your own new bike.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Shadyone, Can you clarify whether the size is 55.5cm or whether the horizontal top tube is 55.5cm?

Because you do say that it is a 55.5 frame but then say you measured the top tube to be 55.5. The 55.5 frame should have an ETT of 57.5cm.

If the bike is actually too small, you might be able to change the stem size. You say that there is an 80mm stem on it now which is really short for a large frame (was the frame too big for the previous owner?). Most large frames have 110+cm stems

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm 182 and ride a 58 Effective Top Tube