Mirrors for road bikes

Azee

Mirrors for road bikes

Postby Azee » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:11 pm

How would mirrors for road bikes fit?
And what is the handle/bar called, is it "horn"?

MattyK

Re: Mirrors for road bikes

Postby MattyK » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:42 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=road+bike+mirror" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:31 am

I use Zefal Spy mirrors on my dropbar bike or rather bike now. Has worked fine for me.

Andrew

Azee

Postby Azee » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:16 pm

How would I fit this mirror for example

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:21 pm

That one looks like it clamps around the bar further up, probably meant for a flat bar bike.

I just got one today that goes in place of the bar plug. I didn't realise how big the mirror was, it's too big. So I think I'll put it on my wife's bike instead.

http://www.velogear.com.au/cycling-acce ... ug-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Italian Road Bike Mirror - you'll barely notice it.
ImageImage

Or the B&M Cyclestar No-stem mirror (what I have) - easier fitting, more easily adjustable.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Do you find you bump it, or is it just a matter of getting used to it being there?

This thing I got is nearly the size of a tea cup saucer. I'm worried that the drag on one side will make me steer off course :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Azee wrote:How would I fit this mirror for example
Good question. One possibility is that you could clamp the haffny just above the hoods (maybe even overlapping it with part of
the hoods).

The mirror appears to be flat but if mounted above the hoods you might have it close enough to your eye to make
it work effectively. It also moves the mirror outside the handlebars, improving the view past your body albeit at the
expense of increasing the bike width when negotiating past obstacles.

If you think about motor-bikes, most use convex mirrors, and mount them so the mirror is well above the hand position
and outside your bodyline. This is to get them closer to your eye, and enlarge the field-of-view they offer.

My bikes have the older style shimano STI levers which work with the mirrycle road mirror, even though one is a post 2012 model - released after the 2010 date mentioned by mirrycle.

The mirrycle has a convex lens, and gets the mirror much closer to your eye than any others I've tried ...without interfering with your normal hand positions. It gets close to the motor-bike arrangements, and gives a much better rear view than the bar-end mirrors, because its larger, closer to your eye and nearer to your field of view. I found I was constantly knocking the zefal spy mirror, it had an inadequate field of view and easily scratched plastic mirror. The italian bar-end mirror might fix a couple of those, but would still have a poorer field of view.

Prior to the STI version of the mirrycle road mirror being marketed, I adapted one of their MTB mirrors by bending up a piece of aluminium to form a bracket that wrapped around the shimano levers (under the hood rubber) and was secured to the handlebar with a worm-screw hose clamp. I found it worked quite effectively. If you have a more recent bike and reasonable cobbling skills, you could try that should the haffny not work out.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:24 pm

il padrone wrote:Italian Road Bike Mirror - you'll barely notice it.
ImageImage
Thanks for posting my ex commuter Pete. :D

I use and heartily recommend the IRBM without hesitation or kickback from the sellers. As fitted to all my dropbar bikes.
As Pete implied, it's a bit of a bugger to get fitted and adjusted right (seek help) but once done it's un knockable and vibration free.
The clarity afforded by the optical glass mirror is wonderful and the slight convexity provides an ample FoV without excessive distortion.

Disclaimer: You should still head check regularly, just because.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:16 pm

silentC wrote:Do you find you bump it, or is it just a matter of getting used to it being there?
With my B&M Cyclestar? Never a major problem, certainly not when riding. If it does get bumped off line (more likely when parking/moving the bike) it can easily just be repositioned.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."