Second hand Avanti or New Defy

darkshrimp

Second hand Avanti or New Defy

Postby darkshrimp » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi guys

been lurking around and absorbing information for awhile. Now I've got a specific question of my own.

I've been told my starting budget of $1000 is probably not high enough to get a good road bike and probably should look towards second hand bikes.

I found a Avanti Cadent 2 (Full carbon and 105 Groupset) in my size [2011] for below $1000. Would this bike be too old (as I've been told the 105groupset has since been updated)? Should I instead look at getting a brand new Giant Defy 2?

I guess this is the good old second hand question where I get better parts but they're older.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

Cheers.

reefer

Re: Second hand Avanti or New Defy

Postby reefer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:57 pm

My 09 Cadent 1.0 still chugging along very well. I have looked to newer and test rode a few (including a Di2 Defy), but just can't see the value when my current ride does all I ask of it. I don't really think the average person would notice any performance difference between the two types you listed.
My advice, buy the Cadent if it is in good condition, excellent bike and value. Use you left over cash on more cycling goodies :wink:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:09 pm

I'd look at the cell Akuna 1.1 at $1100. Great value for money.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:23 pm

I'd lean towards the cadent or whichever is cheapest. For me atleast both would have me thinking upgrading very soon.

Be sure to understand how much more you need to spend on the cadent, if there is any extra that has to be spent.

Edit: I dont think the new tiagra will be that much better than the last years 105 to make it being the deciding factor.

GJM

Postby GJM » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:18 am

What size are you after?

darkshrimp

Postby darkshrimp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:10 pm

GJM wrote:What size are you after?
54cm :)

reefer

Postby reefer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:01 pm

eeksll wrote:For me atleast both would have me thinking upgrading very soon.
Why?

Its new, ish, carbon and 5700 105. Its a quality bike with good quality components.

What and why would you possibly upgrade.

The bike and its components are in no way going to hold back anyone but the elite.

I expect to get at least another 5 years out of my 09 Cadent 1.0 :)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:13 pm

reefer wrote:
eeksll wrote:For me atleast both would have me thinking upgrading very soon.
Why?

Its new, ish, carbon and 5700 105. Its a quality bike with good quality components.

What and why would you possibly upgrade.

The bike and its components are in no way going to hold back anyone but the elite.

I expect to get at least another 5 years out of my 09 Cadent 1.0 :)

Well the defy is tiagra and the second hand avanti is 105 5600.

For me atleast, going second hand would always be in the back of my mind in terms of longevity/stop gap solution.
Going non-carbon and tiagra would always make me feel like I want to try carbon and get under bar tape shifting cables :D. I have been there, so I know, maybe I am a bit more "upgrade-y" than you are reefer :wink:

reefer

Postby reefer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:03 pm

I went from 5600 to 5700 105 after putting 10k on the 5600. There was really nothing wrong with the old group set, in fact I sold it to a forum member here.
I did not notice any major difference in shifting quality, and I also liked that the cables were hidden too :wink: , I just wanted to try a 53/39 and a group set came up on here at the right price.
None of the above would have me upgrading as I exceeded the performance of gear. :)

As for going second-hand, well I think the only risk is the Frame and Fork. The rest of the gear is quite robust. So if he gives the frame a thorough going over, tap testing here and there, he should be fine.

I'd love to upgrade, but after shelling out close to 3k on a bike, I expect to get a decent return on it. 8)
( I am however, always on the lookout for a good /cheap 54cm frame, I think I was sold a size to big [the cadent was my first bike in 20 years], live and learn)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:21 pm

@reefer, how do you find the new 5700 shifter vs the 5600 shifters?

I had 5600 for 4 years on a alu bike they where never ultra comfortable on the hoods, after 4 years they where comfortable enough to not think about. My recent purchase of campag, has really highlighted the difference in comfort when riding on the hoods, I just don't feel comfortable on the old shifters anymore.

My campag shifter are not as smooth and consistent as the 5600 shifters either. But I wouldn't go back ...

The newer 5700 looks much more comfortable than the old.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:50 am

Hi Darkshrimp, the fact that you've had to ask this question would indicate that you are not someone who necessarily tinkers with bikes and/or knows how to work on them. Because of this I would recommend that you buy the new Giant Defy as you will get bike shop fitting and bike shop support and all the warranties that go with a new bike. Alternatively look at similar spec second hand bikes and make sure you have budgeted for a full strip and service with a reputable mechanic. Unless you are a very keen cyclist you will not notice the difference between Tiagra and 105 as long as they are set up well, I am only a recreational cyclist who is an avid tinkerer with bikes and I've just swapped from 3x9 Tiagra to 2x10 105 and sure it shifts a little nicer but that is more due to it being new gear and not worn.