Any opinions on Polygon bikes?

flaky

Any opinions on Polygon bikes?

Postby flaky » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:29 am

Have not seen many about, but they look to be really good price/spec./weight deal. I did see one Tandem getting around the other day though.

Polygon Helios A5.0 is 8.7kg (54cm frame)
105 group-set...$1098
Only thing is it's 30 speed!

There are flat bar versions of the Helios, with lower spec. Shimano groupsets, again really reasonable prices.

Any Thoughts?
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simonn

Re: Any opinions on Polygon bikes?

Postby simonn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:54 am

I know a few people who ride them. They are pretty good value. Absolutely no bling, but they do the job.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:51 am

Polygon's best value point (for roadies anyway) kicks in from the carbon frames IMO. For Al, I reckon Reid and Cell are better value packages.

PS, in spite of it not being 'fashionable', there's nothing wrong with triple cranks...

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Here is a review of that bike, http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/a ... kes-40753/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/c ... 5-0-48302/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other than that, I don't know much about the bike.

One thing though, it is damn light at 8.68kg (real weight-according to review) for an alloy bike especially since it is specced with Shimano WH-R501-30 wheels which are very heavy at >2000g. Triple crank also adds weight so the frame and fork must be pretty light.

joshbrad

Postby joshbrad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:25 pm

I can't speak for the A5, but I picked up a helios c8 on the classifieds here about a month back. I hadn't seen or heard much about the brand either up until that point. From what I can tell, it seems to be a solid frame, the finishing is generally very good, decals are understated and not gaudy. Feels like a quality bit of kit, and with the running gear, full ultegra 6800, its been great value so far. Doesn't feel at all cheap or that corners have been cut in the manufacturing. Can't speak to longevity yet, but so far it's looking good.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:15 am

I bought a C4 for my son. Great value with 105, and seems like a good bike. I also considered Reid and Cell, but they did not have XS sizing and Polygon does.

Off the back

Postby Off the back » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 pm

lobstermash wrote:Polygon's best value point (for roadies anyway) kicks in from the carbon frames IMO. For Al, I reckon Reid and Cell are better value packages.

PS, in spite of it not being 'fashionable', there's nothing wrong with triple cranks...
I know a couple of people that bought Reid and got rid of it in the end because it was pretty awful although that was at the budget end of the spectrum, their mid to high range offerings might be better. They are better specced anyway. The Cell options seem to be quite good though from what I have heard.

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:54 pm

They're a great brand, who've been manufacturing under contract for the bigger brands, and then started making their own branded products.

They put good groupsets on their bikes at low costs which is what attracts most people.

Plenty of reviews of the MTB's on Flow MTB site.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Generic Chinese frames with quality Shimano or SRAM components are fine.

The carbon one on my Melbourne Bicycles Centre shop brand roadie is the same one I've seen in the past on Malvern Star, Cell, Polygon, Apollo and I think Avanti, to give Oceanic examples! :-)