Toddler Child Seat

ginomellino

Toddler Child Seat

Postby ginomellino » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:53 am

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an XDS 9.1 29er (this is a pic http://www.xdsbicycles.com.au/core/medi ... 5bff032e69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as I am looking to get into riding around with the young fella. He is a little over 20kgs and turning 3 this week and I am at the stage where I need to get his child seat but I am not sure which type to get to fit a.) him and b.) the bike. I have to work within a budget and cannot afford a trailer so am looking at either a front or rear mounted seat. If anyone could offer any advice about brands/models or even positive/negative feedback on seats they have used then that would be greatly appreciated as I do not wish to buy anything that doesn't suit my boy or the bike.

Thank you in advance, any help greatly appreciated!!!

geoff_tewierik

Re: Toddler Child Seat

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Front mounted works for us, we have a Yepp Mini and bought an extra mount for it online so it can be switched between my bike and my wife's bike.

Our daughter has been on it since she was able to sit up on her own.

Found a pic of my two girls, too big to show, so just the link.

http://api.ning.com/files/LAl787uzrCCPP ... photo3.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by geoff_tewierik on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:15 pm

geoff_tewierik wrote:Front mounted works for us, we have a Yepp Mini and bought an extra mount for it online so it can be switched between my bike and my wife's bike.

Our daughter has been on it since she was able to sit up on her own.
Yepp Mini, as fantastic as they are (really, they are), has max weight of ~18kg IIRC, might be 16kg? We went to a rear seat when he got close.

ginomellino, where are you located? I just bought a WeeHoo iGo for our soon to be (tomorrow) threenager (awesome, but $350-400).

However, I have a trailer with stroller kit which has not been used as a trailer at all, only as a stroller a couple of times I will part with for $100 (not worth posting). Bought it before my son was born, but we then got a Yepp Mini, then rear child seat and never used it. I'm in Northern Beaches, Sydney.

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:18 pm

You're right, weight is limited on the front, i have 15kg in my head.

You can get a normal Yepp to go on the rear, good for up to 22kg.

http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-s ... y-bracket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:26 pm

One more thing about the steerer mounted front seats. You might find on your 29er that the legs of the child seat hitting the top tube might affect your turning circle:

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/profiles/b ... persuasion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The plus side of front seats is that you can interact with the kid a lot more and so is a lot more fun.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Also interested in this thread, as I've been weighing up the options for my 2-yr-old daughter (13kg atm).

Can't offer 1st-hand experience but was going to mention that my brother-in-law swears by the WeeRide (up-front seat) but it has a maximum capacity of only 18kg - not good for your "little" one! ;)

I'm torn between the WeeRide and a rear-mount myself. I'm also seriously considering buying a fixie solely for transporting my daughter as I've got a carbon MTB and feel a little nervous jumping around on that with a metal bar permanently attached. Pretty sure the bike wasn't designed for that... and don't really need a $2700 carbon MTB for riding with my daughter along the local bike track!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

I think, as noted above that a 3yo at 20kg is too big for a front mount. Rear is fine, but I have found that a trailer is a better option, allows you to cart extra stuff too. My 2yo loves the trailer, he gets a good view, plenty of space and isn't staring at your back or leaning out around you. You should be able to pick one up for cheap 2nd hand, same for seats. Kids grow out of Them and owners pass them on cheap to get the shed space back.

I wouldn't buy a fixie for kid carting, I've got an old MTB that works well. Hills get to be really hard work with 20+kg extra so the low range gearing works well. I bought an old steel MTB for $15 then spent about $30 on parts to upgrade it to v-brakes and it's great.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:53 pm

You want loooowwww gears for kiddy transport in Sydney. Fixie would be the wrong way. Plenty of cheap MTBs around which would suffice. Wouldn't consider carbon for anything kiddy related.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Ah, I see that my understanding of the term 'fixie' is inaccurate. Noob - sorry!

I thought a 'fixie' was a cheap bike that needs fixing up, not a fixed-gear bicycle. Oops!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm

I use a trailer for my grandchildren. Picked one up that hadn't seen much use for $40 on Gumtree.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:16 pm

I looked into Yepp and although they look quite good (especially the locking feature), I found their side protection a little lacking. I ended up with the "default" Topeak child seat since I had Topeak racks.

For the RRP, I picked up a Giant Seek 3 for less $ with better spec. (Disc brakes, front rack mounts). Suspension is just dead weight IMO for a children chariot.

I also have a one seater trailer but I find them harder to manoeuvre around narrower tracks/bollards and kind of unsuitable for suburban street riding because of the width.

troyww

Postby troyww » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:18 pm

OldBloke wrote:I use a trailer for my grandchildren. Picked one up that hadn't seen much use for $40 on Gumtree.
Bought mine brand new for ~$120 off ebay 6 years ago and sold it for $60 2 years after that . Theres no way I would of trusted myself with my little one on a child seat . Trailer is super easy to hook up and doubles as a carrier for picnic gear balls , drinks etc . Biggest bonus is they can bring a mate .

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:05 pm

Back when I needed a bike child seat I bought one of these
http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/classi ... d/cid/663/
Stripped it right down from new, put grease where it should be and made adjustments.
Removed rear seat, pedals and handlebar. Fitted child seat against the rear seat post & on top of the rear top tube. Kept the child low, handling was great.
Later converted it into a longtail cargo bike, also great. Only recently sold it.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:35 pm

twowheels wrote:Back when I needed a bike child seat I bought one of these
http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/classi ... d/cid/663/
Stripped it right down from new, put grease where it should be and made adjustments.
Removed rear seat, pedals and handlebar. Fitted child seat against the rear seat post & on top of the rear top tube. Kept the child low, handling was great.
Later converted it into a longtail cargo bike, also great. Only recently sold it.
I like your thinking. Bub seat on the back on a normal bike gives them a bum in the face.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.