Query about Shogun bikes

nickj_d

Query about Shogun bikes

Postby nickj_d » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:48 am

I'm currently looking at buying a Shogun Mach 2 flatbar roadbike for $1000. I don't know too much about bikes so I tried to look them up on the net, but I can find very little information about the brand. Even their own website seems inactive.

My question is are they a reputable brand? Do they still exist? Would I have any warranty problems if anything goes wrong? I am a little scared off by the lack of info I can find on the brand.

My other option is the Giant CRX2 for $1000. Both bikes seem very similar in specs, but the the Shogun felt so good.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:16 am

If you want brand name reputability, go the Giant. Widespread dealership, warranties should be no issue. Not a bling brand name by general consensus, (well, maybe for some), but most people won't say anything bad about a Giant, except perhaps "sigh, not ANOTHER Giant :roll:", which really only gives testament to their popularity and reliability.

Shogun are okay, but aren't anything special. Now, an older Shogun, they were decent bikes, but these days they're just about average. Not bad, mind you, but not good either. Warranty wise? I don't know if you had to send it back, but if you get it from a decent LBS they should be able to deal with it, or at least advise you on what the warranty deal is. Nothing should be mechanically wrong with the bike, perhaps a little rougher finish, slightly heavier, etc, maybe

NB: All that just based on memories of my first Shogun hybrid, which lasted a month before it got stolen. Which was probably the best thing about it, since it was still covered on credit card insurance, got the money back and got myself my current ziparound Avanti. ;)

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:59 am

The difference between the two is what is written on them. Shogun must also have a network of dealers, otherwise you wouldn't have seen one in a bike shop. If the Shogun felt better then buy it. There is no difference in quality between the two frames at all. It would be equally surprising to claim warranty on either of them. It's really hard to believe the amount of speculaton in the above post. Rougher? Heavier? Perhaps? Bloody hell.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:19 am

Agree with MG on that one...

Ride it. Compare it to others. You like one more? Buy it.

I would trade my $2000 Giant for a $3000 Trek cause it can do exactly the same thing.

Shogun used to be a big name, and had some quality gear. No reason why they shouldnt still be making quality bikes.

Jim

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 am

familyguy wrote:Shogun used to be a big name, and had some quality gear. No reason why they shouldnt still be making quality bikes.
I expect they'll be made in the same factory as lots of other brands .. out of the similar materials to bikes in their price range .. And that the "Shogun" Brand Name was bought by investors or another large umbrella bike company. How do the components compare?
nickj_d wrote: ... but the the Shogun felt so good.
Mmh .. might be telling you something ...

peter

Postby peter » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:59 am

Mikka wrote:And that the "Shogun" Brand Name was bought by investors or another large umbrella bike company.
It's distributed by BikeCorp now, who also distributes bike accessories. BC is not a name brand but LBS love it due to low cost so there's room for huge markup.

peter

Postby peter » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:12 am

Shogun Mach 2
2008 Giant CRX 2
2009 Giant CRX 2

The Mach 2 is better spec'd with mostly Tiagra components. If you are going with 08 CRX 2 then you also miss out on the carbon fork.

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I have made a few phone calls today and the consensus seems to be that they are (or were) a good brand but just not that common anymore and appear to have limited stock.

My dilemna is the mach 2 I have seen at LBS for $850 is a 2006 model. Have spoken to distributers and they are all out of 2008 stock, and 2009 don't come until september. 2009 model will be $1050 and only major difference is carbon forks. Would carbon forks be worth the extra money? What difference would it make to the bike (other than weight)?

The 2009 Giant CRX2 $995 is almost identical spec (though unlike the Shogun not all components are Shimano Tiagra).

Have ridden both but wasn't impressed the smoothness of the gear changes on the Giant. How much is this dependant on how the bike was setup? Is it just a case of fine tuning the gear cabling to change more smoothly? (the shogun was a dream using almost the same components).

If anyone knows where i can get a 2008 shogun mach 2 now i would jump at it straight away.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Perhaps a simple list of specs and other good and bad points might be a good idea so you can compare them side by side. The changing may be effected by different shifters or adjustment. If the Shogun has the same shifters it is most likely adjustment. If it has better shifters, that may be the reason. I'd be looking at a bit of a list about now.

Taking time to consider all the options is the best thing, but you need to keep abreast of what your learning as you go.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Make them an offer for the 2006 model. Some businesses give good discounts on older models. Specially if you point out you can get a newer model of some description at the same price or cheaper.

Martin

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Hmm, well, that's just my subjective experience. Perhaps I had a dodgy shop that didn't set it up properly, or I was just brand new to cycling at the time. However it definitely felt more sluggish and (to me, anyway) looked a bit rougher in welding and paintjob, compared to the other similar specced hybrids I tested next. YMMV.

Like I said, nothing wrong with the brand, I just don't think they're quite up to the old Shogun name, and I won't be getting one for myself, they just didn't feel right for me. It might've been different at a different shop, we'll never know. So if you find it works for you, then it's the bike for you!

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Stryker

Sorry about that. I should have done better to realise that you had owned one. That'll teach me for surfing at work. I agree that tigged alluminium looks average. A rough tig is hideous and should be considered for sure.

Nick, add rough tigs to the list.

I will not surf the net at work

Actually, that might be a little lie. I probably still will.

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:34 pm

I wonder if these guys bought the brand name from a Japanese firm ... I'm sure I saw a story on that ...within the last 18 months ... From a business perspective .. it's a lot easier to re-launch a known brand than to start out from scratch ... Falcon Cycles on Wikipedia
Wikepedia wrote:Falcon Cycles is a British bicycle manufacturer based in Brigg, North Lincolnshire. In addition to producing bikes under its own name, Falcon produces bicycles under several brand names including Falcon, British Eagle, Coventry Eagle, Townsend, Optima, Boss, Shogun, CBR and the flagship brand, Claud Butler.
(This page was last modified 6th June 2008).

Falcon Cycles .. Home
Falcon Corporate History wrote:Following acquisition by Tandem Group plc in November 1995, the company has gone from strength to strength, with current annual sales in excess of 300,000 bicycles.

The company owns and uses a number of different brands including Falcon, British Eagle, Coventry Eagle, Townsend, Optima, Boss, Scorpion, CBR and the flagship brand Claud Butler.
Shogun wasn't in that list ... but it's range is now on the website ..The NEW Shogun Range at Falcon

300 000 cycles .. let's pretend they average $150 turnover per unit ... :shock:

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 pm

The plot thickens.....

Nothin' like a good ol' late 80's Shogun, I reckon (or a Malvern Star)! :wink: :wink:

peter

Postby peter » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:49 am

nickj_d wrote:My dilemna is the mach 2 I have seen at LBS for $850 is a 2006 model. Have spoken to distributers and they are all out of 2008 stock, and 2009 don't come until september. 2009 model will be $1050 and only major difference is carbon forks. Would carbon forks be worth the extra money? What difference would it make to the bike (other than weight)?
Potentially the 2006 Mach 2 can be 3 years old, and it says a lot about a bike if they can't sell it in 3 years. During this 3 years, heaps of people could have test rode it, so it can almost be considered as a 2nd hand bike. It's quite a rip off if they still trying to sell it for $850.

Carbon fork is there for comfort more than weight advantage.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:35 pm

kukamunga wrote:Nothin' like a good ol' late 80's Shogun, I reckon (or a Malvern Star)! :wink: :wink:
Got one in the shed out the back - a small steel touring frame with half-step Biopace chainrings. Lovely old thing - pity my wife won't ride it any longer.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Old models in a bike shop may not mean it's a dud bike. In the country areas where the turn over is not great it's easy to get stuck with stock that nobody wants.
Every one wants the latest and greatest, as long as you can get a good price! Don't pay sticker price ask for a discount.
I recently got a older model because they knocked $200 off and gave me a few other sweeteners as well. So far with a 1000k's under the belt it's been a good bike. :)

Martin

ldrcycles

Re: Query about Shogun bikes

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Is there any more info out there about Shogun now? My brother is looking into them but it's all but impossible to find any info on the net. The australian website looks dormant, still listing the 2008 range.

New ones are still around, so where are they coming from and who is bringing them in?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

KGB

Re: Query about Shogun bikes

Postby KGB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:31 am

Bump. Is Shogun still around? Are they still in Australia?