Newbie question re conversion to flat bar

small dog

Newbie question re conversion to flat bar

Postby small dog » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 pm

I bought a bicycle without doing enough homewors. It's Cell Lapa 2.0. Very good quality (in my opinion), but the position is not as comfortable as it was... 30 years ago, when I rode road bikes on regular basis. Now it hurts my lower back and makes my hands go numb.

Basically I have two options. One - return the bike for refund and then buy a new bike altogether. Two - convert to flat bar, which will move the position of my hands up and back and will make the torso more upright. I am leaning towards the second option because the components on the bike are good quality and overall I like it.

The question: will any 2x10 gear shifters be suitable for such conversion? Does it matter if the shifters are, for instance, Ultegra? Has anybody here has converted to flat bars on a road bike? Stock deraileurs are Shimano 105

KGB

Re: Newbie question re conversion to flat bar

Postby KGB » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:01 am

I don't think shimano 10 mtn and road derailleurs and shifters are compatible.
This means either buying new mtb shifters and rear derailleur or getting road / flat bar specific shifters to work with your 105 rear derailleur. I'm not up to speed with current model numbers so that's about all I've got, sorry. :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 am

small dog wrote:I bought a bicycle without doing enough homework. It's Cell Lapa 2.0. Very good quality (in my opinion), but the position is not as comfortable as it was... 30 years ago, when I rode road bikes on regular basis. Now it hurts my lower back and makes my hands go numb.
I've found that drop bar bikes have less hand numbness problems than flat bar bikes as you can change to many hand positions easily.

It reads like the frame is too big and/or the bars are too low for your current reach to the bars. I'd return the bike and see if you can either exchange the bike for a smaller one or exchange the frame for a smaller one. If not, then maybe consider selling your frame and buying a smaller sized frame. The below thread may help you to avoid buying another incorrect sized frame.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also consider setting up the bike with the top of the bars at the same height as the saddle. A bike setup this way is still going to be slightly faster than a flat bar bike due to generally faster rolling tyres and a narrower hand placement on the bars (more aero).

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:56 am

Assuming you are riding with your hands on the tops, then fitting a flat bar will make little difference to your position.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi small dog,
We have all been there, I have a VWR and am happy with it, but when I first rode it, I thought, "What have I done?" Just comparing the two bikes though yours is a fare climb down in racing style . Mine is a touring bike and a lot more relaxed I am sure.
The Cell Brunswick has another 60 mm or so wheelbase to yours and mine probably a 11O mm more. I reckon it makes a difference. My back would kill me on your bike, But I am really old. :) Not comparing apples though as to cost I'm afraid. But I would definitely try the Brunswick as the first step and you may get a good trade in with the relevant dealer.

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:17 pm

I would suggest stick with the drop bars, but change the stem to a shorter & higher rise-angle model. Far easier (and cheaper!) than faffing about with a whole cockpit change.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:46 pm

small dog wrote: The question: will any 2x10 gear shifters be suitable for such conversion? Does it matter if the shifters are, for instance, Ultegra? Has anybody here has converted to flat bars on a road bike? Stock deraileurs are Shimano 105
Yes I have converted to flat bars on a road bike. The ones I have done have been good quality, but not top end. I found it easiest to use friction shifters for the conversions. But I'm sure you could chase up what indexed flat bar shifters would suit. I found that many flat bar shifters were rapidfire or ezifire style now, which is cool, but also incorporated vee brake levers not compatible with racing bike style calipers. If your frame has vee brakes, possibly sweet.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Duck! wrote:I would suggest stick with the drop bars, but change the stem to a shorter & higher rise-angle model. Far easier (and cheaper!) than faffing about with a whole cockpit change.
Good idea. Swapping the stem should be step number one.

Being short myself I already have a 70mm and find the options get narrow at that length. Getting a stem with rise in 70mm or 80mm may be difficult. Still, depending on the Lapa's size, a 70mm stem should give you 3 to 5cm shorter reach to the bars. Might solve the problem without resorting to a bike or frameset swap.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:14 pm

If you are set on going flat-bar, Shimano do offer shifters to suit, either SL-4600 Tiagra or SL-R780 non-series Dura-Ace level levers will do the trick. Any of the BL-3500/4600/R550/R780 brake levers will suit the calipers.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Some short stems with rise.

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod48087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod112170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

small dog

Postby small dog » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yeah, after the first ride on the bike I was in a bit of a panic: what have I done! I took it back to the shop, and they fitted adjustable stem, which brought the bars back and up quite considerably. I am reasonably comfortable now. Went for a 45 minute ride yesterday, and it was all right. Nothing hurts, that's the most important thing. I understand that road bikes are not supposed to be as comfortable as touring motorcycles, so now I have to get used to riding this way.

Thanks again. I am looking forward to riding.