2014 Giant Defy Advanced SL Zero - Feedback please

splitz

Re: 2014 Giant Defy Advanced SL Zero - Feedback please

Postby splitz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:50 am

Cmm wrote:Weight wise my large defy advanced pro 2 (105 groupo no pedals or bidon cages) 8.4kg

It's getting the di2 and hydro treatment in the next few weeks :)
cheers
"....just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following me...."

splitz

Postby splitz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Cmm wrote:...................It's getting the di2 and hydro treatment in the next few weeks :)
Noice!
"....just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following me...."

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:09 pm

I'd be interested in knowing what the weight difference is between the 2015 defy advanced SL 1 and the Pro 0
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WideloadDan

Giant Defy Advanced 2013

Postby WideloadDan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Giant Defy Advanced 2013,

Serious issues:

Aero carbon fibre seat post
Carbon fibre seat-posts in carbon fibre frames have difficulty maintaining position. The low friction of carbon fibre on carbon fibre means that this combination of carbon fibre seat posts in carbon fibre frames has slippage problems. This is largely solved by using “carbon grease” grease that has silica granules (sand) mixed in with it to embed into the two carbon surfaces to stop them from sliding over each other.

However the Giant Defy Advanced also has an aero or tear-drop seat-post, a much harder shape to clamp structurally than a circular seat-post. The advent of the aero seat-post is purely fashion as it would be almost impossible to measure the aerodynamic difference an aero seat-post would make to bicycle without the rider on board. Add the rider and any advantage is totally wiped out.

Slippage of the aero seat-post on the Defy Advanced and other bicycles is a recurring problem.

Giant PSL1 Rear wheel

The big problem with bicycle rear wheels is the asymmetric lacing caused by accommodating wider clusters with the same hub width.

While a very well manufactured and free rolling hub, the hub design has the fault that it minimises the static tension of the non-drive spokes but maximises the torque and load stresses on the six (pull) spokes that provide the torque to the rim thus minimises the reliability of those six spokes.

The 24 spoke combination of radial drive side and cross 2 non-drive side and a small flange size for the cross 2 spokes maximises the stresses on the six (pull) spokes that transfer the torque from the hub to the rim. These six spokes both support the weight of the bike and rider as well as the variable stress of turning the rear wheel under rider acceleration or hill climbing.

The smaller the flange diameter the higher the resultant tension needed on the (pull) spoke to turn the rim. The thing that fatigues spokes fastest, particularly on spokes that already have relatively low tension being on the non-drive side and causes them to fail is large variation in tensions.

It is well past time that bicycle manufacturers increased the standard rear hub width to 160mm with larger diameter flanges and wider flange separations and crossed (tangential) symmetrically laced spokes on both sides of the hub. Asymmetric rims, 2:1 spoke lacings are ways to try to work around the short comings of asymmetric rear wheels. While 160mm wide rear hubs will be marginally heavier the rear wheel and particularly the peripheral weight of the rear wheel could be substantially reduced while being more reliable and have a higher load capacity.

s3

Postby s3 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:19 pm

The short conclusion is that absolute braking power is not significantly different, but hydraulics require a fraction of the effort from the rider to achieve it.
I ride a 2011 Tarmac. During the Specialized demo day at Whittlesea last month I rode the 2015 Tarmac Disc. Same geometry as mine, newer (slightly lighter frame, and 785 hydro discs, so a fairly comparable bike to mine. I am SOLD on disc brakes, the 'feel' when descending at speed is the improvement for me. I ride hills a lot, so this is a biggie. It makes descents safer and faster. I won't be buying another rim braked bike.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:22 pm

i did the specialized demo day last weekend. rode the diverge, roubaix disc and tarmac disc. hydro discs, even in hte dry are nuts. it's a must have

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Disc brakes are sweet! cable disc came on my Defy and i know have hydro and so happy with both!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:21 pm

I wouldn't say discs are a must have but if your buying a modern bike you may as well get them to maintain some form of future proofing.

The issues about weight are a load of crap. If you really think 300-400g extra is important you really have some issues. It won't make one iota of difference to your climbing speed.

The issue of a rubbing rotor is easily solved with a shifter wrench in about 10 sec. Been fixing the rotors on my mtb using this technique for 15 years. Besides a slightly rubbing rotor will have no effect on your speed, unless it's really munted, it's just an annoying noise.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:21 pm

The only reason you wouldn't buy a disc brakes roadie is if you are going to race the bike
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

StirlingB

Postby StirlingB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 pm

I got my new Giant Advanced Pro 0 last week, sweet bike :D

For those interested I chucked it on the scales this morning, it's a ML and the weight includes the accessories (I didn't have time to rip everything off), so that is 2 light bottle cages, a small Tioga Pump, small saddle bag with 1 spare tube, cygolite rear LED light and SPD R540 pedals. All up it was 7.8kgs. That's also with the standard wheels and tyres that the bike comes with.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:14 pm

StirlingB wrote:I got my new Giant Advanced Pro 0 last week, sweet bike :D

For those interested I chucked it on the scales this morning, it's a ML and the weight includes the accessories (I didn't have time to rip everything off), so that is 2 light bottle cages, a small Tioga Pump, small saddle bag with 1 spare tube, cygolite rear LED light and SPD R540 pedals. All up it was 7.8kgs. That's also with the standard wheels and tyres that the bike comes with.
Is that the 2015 disc brake model? If so, I've seen the weight listed as 7.86kg without any accessories, pedals.