Road Wheel Upgrade

redeuca

Road Wheel Upgrade

Postby redeuca » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi

Looking for some wheelset advice....

Azzurri Primo 2009, carbon, Ultegra, with Mavic Aksium wheelset. I plan to transfer the wheels to another bike I'm rebuilidng, and upgrade.

Fitness rider eg Beach Rd, Mt Dandenong, or 100+km on undulating country roads, Avg 25-30kmh. Looking for good rollability, reliability and strength, with some comfort over the less well made roads.

I've been been researching with our good friend google and through the forums. I've narrowed it down to three wheelsets.
Fulcrum R3
Campy Zonda
Pro-Lite Bracciano A27

How would you rank each wheel?

2wheels_mond

Re: Road Wheel Upgrade

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Campy Zonda is the same as the Fulcrum Racing 3, with different stickers. Bracciano is a pretty similar wheel, only key difference is being handbuilt (simpler service compared to the Campy wheels, but the Campy wheels are known for being long lasting).

ianK

Postby ianK » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:52 pm

Have a couple of pairs of the Bracciano's and like them a lot. Bought a pair of Shimano Ultegras about eight months back. Initially didn't like them that much - didn't seem to roll as well as the Bracciano's - but now that there is a few klms in them I find I am liking them more and more. A plus for me is they are tubeless rims. I haven't ridden on either of the others so obviously have no comment on them. Braccianos - pretty much bullet proof. Ultegras with a lower profile maybe a little bit more comfortable.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:29 am

ianK wrote:Have a couple of pairs of the Bracciano's and like them a lot. Bought a pair of Shimano Ultegras about eight months back. Initially didn't like them that much - didn't seem to roll as well as the Bracciano's - but now that there is a few klms in them I find I am liking them more and more. A plus for me is they are tubeless rims. I haven't ridden on either of the others so obviously have no comment on them. Braccianos - pretty much bullet proof. Ultegras with a lower profile maybe a little bit more comfortable.
Had he ultegras- liked them a lot, main negative was the tubeless ready- my god tyres are %$#$#(AT) hard to fit and remove- sold them due to this. The Braccianos are really good- light, fast, easy to service and local support.
One other option is a build kit (BDOP) http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20WHEELS.asp, either build them yourself or get a good wheel builder to build them up. I got them built up for abut $420 all up. These are a wider rim similar to HED, H Plus Son etc, for which the benefits are well known/discussed.

ianK

Postby ianK » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:51 am

CXCommuter wrote:
ianK wrote:Have a couple of pairs of the Bracciano's and like them a lot. Bought a pair of Shimano Ultegras about eight months back. Initially didn't like them that much - didn't seem to roll as well as the Bracciano's - but now that there is a few klms in them I find I am liking them more and more. A plus for me is they are tubeless rims. I haven't ridden on either of the others so obviously have no comment on them. Braccianos - pretty much bullet proof. Ultegras with a lower profile maybe a little bit more comfortable.
Had he ultegras- liked them a lot, main negative was the tubeless ready- my god tyres are %$#$#(AT) hard to fit and remove- sold them due to this. The Braccianos are really good- light, fast, easy to service and local support.
One other option is a build kit (BDOP) http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20WHEELS.asp, either build them yourself or get a good wheel builder to build them up. I got them built up for abut $420 all up. These are a wider rim similar to HED, H Plus Son etc, for which the benefits are well known/discussed.
Yep, the first generation of tubeless tyres were pretty damn hard to get off and on (Only had experience with Schwable - don't know about Hutchison), however the latest iteration, Schwable One were surprisingly easy - almost like a normal clincher. Got the tyre 95% on by hand then one tyre lever did the rest.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:33 am

Just a note- I found all tyres extremely difficult to install on the Ultegras- not just tubeless
AFAIAC there are other good options available without this tyre installation hassle in the same price range to find yourself pinching tubes when trying to replace a flat in the boondocks.

All my other rims are easy to install tyres by hand with the occasional minor assistance from a tyre lever.

danse

Postby danse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:56 pm

If you're willing to consider secondhand, I've got a couple of wheelsets for sale: a set of 10/11 spd Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-way (takes both clinchers and tubeless) for $700 and a set of Mavic Open Pros with DT Swiss spokes laced to 10 spd Shimano Dura Ace 7900 built by bicyclewheels.com for $350. PM me if you're interested, cheers. Should also mention that I'm in Melbourne so you're welcome to inspect.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:14 am

CXCommuter wrote:Just a note- I found all tyres extremely difficult to install on the Ultegras- not just tubeless
AFAIAC there are other good options available without this tyre installation hassle in the same price range to find yourself pinching tubes when trying to replace a flat in the boondocks.

All my other rims are easy to install tyres by hand with the occasional minor assistance from a tyre lever.
Yes agree, I have the C24 Dura Ace tubeless wheels (when I bought them I didn't know any better) and use Continental GP400S tyres and they can be a b#%*h to get on and off and easy to pinch tubes, as I learned first hand the other day. You can get regular clincher (non-tubeless) versions of both Ultegra and Dura Ace wheels which are great wheels, reasonable weight and strong. Ult = ~$600; DA = ~$800.

redeuca

Postby redeuca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Found a forum thread that had some good info. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll go with the Zonda's, they seem to be a good all round wheelset, and will suit my needs.

Safe riding all........

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:09 pm

zonda=fulcrum r3.
I did a spoke while descending with less than 20,000km in a set. IMHO, they are not strong enough for a main riding wheel, unless you weigh <70kg. (you didn't mention your weight, which is a key criteria for wheelset suitability).

I'd recommend the ultegras as well. I have found the tight fit is not an issue after the tire has been sitting on the rim for a few days. They come off and on as easy as with any other rim after that.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Fulcrum 3 ... never again.

thejester

Postby thejester » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:57 pm

CKinnard wrote:zonda=fulcrum r3.
I did a spoke while descending with less than 20,000km in a set. IMHO, they are not strong enough for a main riding wheel, unless you weigh <70kg. (you didn't mention your weight, which is a key criteria for wheelset suitability).

I'd recommend the ultegras as well. I have found the tight fit is not an issue after the tire has been sitting on the rim for a few days. They come off and on as easy as with any other rim after that.

110kg weight limit
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:17 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Fulcrum 3 ... never again.
Lucky Fulcrums. Breaker Bros will avoid them.
You have officially become your parents.