REI

il padrone

REI

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:42 am

I have tried to buy gear from their site in the past but, like many US web-retail outlets, their idea of overseas was Canada. You could only buy gear from Australia if it was being shipped to a freight-forwarder. So I have always skipped US sites apart from the few I know that do ship internationally.

Something must have changed. They must have discovered the potential of international retail, as I have just bought some tyres from REI. Shipped today :)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

thecaptn

Re: REI

Postby thecaptn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:14 pm

What sort of tyres did you buy?

I normally avoid American sites too, often if they do ship they charge a retarded amount for shipping to make it not worth it. I did buy a seatpost from Bikewagon recently and that worked out well for me, it was cheap and arrived quickly.
Last edited by thecaptn on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 pm

il padrone wrote:I have tried to buy gear from their site in the past but, like many US web-retail outlets, their idea of overseas was Canada. You could only buy gear from Australia if it was being shipped to a freight-forwarder. So I have always skipped US sites apart from the few I know that do ship internationally.

Something must have changed. They must have discovered the potential of international retail, as I have just bought some tyres from REI. Shipped today :)
I got a membership a few years ago while in the US, between some purchases when in the states and some mail orders I usually have some member rebates to collect every year. I've had parcels from them for at least 2 or 3 years.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 pm

thecaptn wrote:What sort of tyres did you buy?

I normally avoid American sites too, often if they do ship they charge a retarded amount for shipping to make it not worth it. I did buy a seatpost from Bikewagon recently and that worked out well for me, it was cheap and arrived quickly.
I bought eight Vittoria Randonneur Cross 26x1.75 tyres - my favourite heavy-wear tyres. The price ($US35 ea) with shipping ($US90) brought them up to $US46 each, which is a reasonable price. I have been finding these tyres are no longer about as much, either on-line or at my LBS, so I decided to buy in a bulk lot that should keep me in tyres for about 10 years :D
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:38 pm

US bike shops that I have bought gear from have included Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown's old shop), JensonUSA, Velo Orange, Alfred E. Bike, The Touring Shop, Planetbikes, and Showerspass. I've also bought camping gear from Moontrail and MEC (they're in Canada). Mostly their shippng was bearable, or a necessary evil because they were the only supplier that I could readily find - a common problem with less readily available touring, retro, and tandem gear.
Mandatory helmet law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:03 pm

il padrone wrote: that should keep me in tyres for about 10 years :D
Probably worth reading this so that they are still ok to use in 10 years time.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Stored under the house in the dark and cool should do the trick. I'm not overly worried. I've had lightweight Specialized Turbo S folding tyres from the early-mid 80s on my road bike that sat in a garage, then under the house, for 15 years unused. When I pulled it out in 2007 and fixed it up the tyres were fine - just some very minor perishing - and they rode on for a good 3000-4000 kms, before I replaced them with the spares (aso from the late 80s) that I had still in boxes.

These Vittorias are good big 1.75" so they should do even better.
Mandatory helmet law?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Good to know that REI ship to Australia il padrone. I have bought from them every time I've been in the States but didn't consider from here as they didn't ship to Australia in the past...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:38 am

il padrone wrote:Stored under the house in the dark and cool should do the trick. I'm not overly worried. I've had lightweight Specialized Turbo S folding tyres from the early-mid 80s on my road bike that sat in a garage, then under the house, for 15 years unused. When I pulled it out in 2007 and fixed it up the tyres were fine - just some very minor perishing - and they rode on for a good 3000-4000 kms, before I replaced them with the spares (aso from the late 80s) that I had still in boxes.

These Vittorias are good big 1.75" so they should do even better.
Just wondering how they go grip wise. I've noticed the tyres on my big heavy 4wd tend to go off after a period of time and tend to be a bit tentative on wet roads.
Probably a poor analogy as they are exposed to higher temps on hot roads even if the car is always garaged. The current Mickey Thompsons I bought in '09 have about 70k km on them but still plenty of tread. Not too good on wet roads now and I'll have to get rid of them soon.
Just wondering how well an old, hard, tyre will grip on a wet road? I guess it's less of an issue on a wide touring tyre than a skinny roadie tyre though.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 am

il padrone wrote: I bought eight Vittoria Randonneur Cross 26x1.75 tyres - my favourite heavy-wear tyres. The price ($US35 ea) with shipping ($US90) brought them up to $US46 each, which is a reasonable price. I have been finding these tyres are no longer about as much, either on-line or at my LBS, so I decided to buy in a bulk lot that should keep me in tyres for about 10 years :D
That's probably because they've been dropped by Vittoria and replaced in that size by the Randonneur Trail
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:27 am

Really?

That's a great shame. I don't much like the tread pattern of the Randonneur Trail - looks slow. Glad I bought these tyres then, I'll have to work out what I do when they have worn out. Probably choose a suitable Schwalbe.
Mandatory helmet law?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:04 pm

il padrone wrote:Really?

That's a great shame. I don't much like the tread pattern of the Randonneur Trail - looks slow. Glad I bought these tyres then, I'll have to work out what I do when they have worn out. Probably choose a suitable Schwalbe.
Well you've got ten years to think about it, by then we might all be riding hover bikes.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:26 pm

thecaptn wrote:Well you've got ten years to think about it, by then we might all be riding hover bikes.
The Segway PT is now thirteen years old. Got one yet?

Ignoring consumables there no major components newer than that on any of my bikes (Campy Daytona 2000 groupset on one bike is the newest). The only commonly new stuff is lighting. LEDs are wonderful!

The oldest major component on my daily commuter is a fifties or sixties vintage Brooks saddle. I had a much older one on my Kermie bike but it recently skipped this mortal coil. Nose tore off:-(

PS I have an REI key ring from the '90s - last time I was there.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Thoglette wrote:
thecaptn wrote:Well you've got ten years to think about it, by then we might all be riding hover bikes.
The Segway PT is now thirteen years old. Got one yet?

Ignoring consumables there no major components newer than that on any of my bikes (Campy Daytona 2000 groupset on one bike is the newest). The only commonly new stuff is lighting. LEDs are wonderful!

The oldest major component on my daily commuter is a fifties or sixties vintage Brooks saddle. I had a much older one on my Kermie bike but it recently skipped this mortal coil. Nose tore off:-(

PS I have an REI key ring from the '90s - last time I was there.
When they get around to producing a hovering Segway then I might consider one.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Tyres ordered from REI last Tuesday. Big box arrived today

:shock: :shock:

WOW!
Mandatory helmet law?