Project Rudy Photochromatic

flashpixx

Project Rudy Photochromatic

Postby flashpixx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Considering the Project Rudy Rydon Polarised Photochromatic Grey Lens. Thoughts?? Price isn't a consideration, whats the performance like?
Last edited by flashpixx on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

cancan64

Re: Project Rudy Photochromatic

Postby cancan64 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:06 pm

I have non polarised version and very happy with them...although only had them for a few weeks....have found them comfortable to date but will have more of an idea in a week and a bit after some longer rides
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

I don't have Rudy Project photo chromatics (so can't comment on the specific brand) but have some others and I find them excellent unless it is full summer sun.... then they just don't go dark enough. I would guess I wear the photo chromatics about 6 months a year and the normal darker sunnies the other 6 months.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Ive got a pair (not polarised) and theyre awesome except for full blown sun in which case it could be a few shades darker. I knew this however but am not too put off theyre my winter glasses too. In pitch black its almost clear.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:31 am

I have the glasses and find them great. Great attention to detail, the polarising is almost uncanny in it's ability to get it just right for me. (always have sunglasses on, outside type person). They do sit out on your face a bit even with the adjustable nose pieces. Lenses clean well. Best ones I've used so far.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 am

Rockford wrote:I have the glasses and find them great. Great attention to detail, the polarising is almost uncanny in it's ability to get it just right for me. (always have sunglasses on, outside type person). They do sit out on your face a bit even with the adjustable nose pieces. Lenses clean well. Best ones I've used so far.
Thanks. I see from the Rudy website that the polarised lenses transmit less light than non polarised equivalent.

Do you find the polarised ones aren't dark enough in full sun?
Gordon

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:40 am

I'm also looking at purchasing a set of Rudy Project Rydon's, in a polarized version. I phoned Rudy Project and they indicated that the 3FX was a slightly better lens than the Impact X Polarized Photochromic, although she did stress that the latter are still very good. My eyes prefer dark glasses and most of my riding is done during daylight hours. I'm tempted to go for the 3FX, but was wondering if anyone has been able to directly compare the 3FX (fixed tint, polarized) with the Impact X (Photochromic/polarized)?

Cheers!

SB

Edit: I just ordered a set of 3FX grey polarized Rydon glasses for general daylight riding and a set of Impactx 2 photochromic (non polarized) glasses for sunrise/sunset rides so hopefully I'll be able to report back in a few days time. I was contemplating ordering just the spare Impactx 2 lenses but it was not a lot more to get the entire pair of glasses. Will be comparing to my current Rayban Grey/green polarised (glass lens) glasses.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 pm

That's a fair investment in sunnies. :D

Will be interesting to compare notes on performance. I've ordered the Rydon Impact X Photochromic/polarized in grey lens. Grey appears to have the least light transfer, additionally, polarised less light transfer than non polarised. With luck Mr StarTrack will have delivered them today.
Storm Boy wrote:I'm also looking at purchasing a set of Rudy Project Rydon's, in a polarized version. I phoned Rudy Project and they indicated that the 3FX was a slightly better lens than the Impact X Polarized Photochromic, although she did stress that the latter are still very good. My eyes prefer dark glasses and most of my riding is done during daylight hours. I'm tempted to go for the 3FX, but was wondering if anyone has been able to directly compare the 3FX (fixed tint, polarized) with the
Cheers!

SB

Edit: I just ordered a set of 3FX grey polarized Rydon glasses for general daylight riding and a set of Impactx 2 photochromic (non polarized) glasses for sunrise/sunset rides so hopefully I'll be able to report back in a few days time. I was contemplating ordering just the spare Impactx 2 lenses but it was not a lot more to get the entire pair of glasses. Will be comparing to my current Rayban Grey/green polarised (glass lens) glasses.
Gordon

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 pm

flashpixx wrote:
Rockford wrote:I have the glasses and find them great. Great attention to detail, the polarising is almost uncanny in it's ability to get it just right for me. (always have sunglasses on, outside type person). They do sit out on your face a bit even with the adjustable nose pieces. Lenses clean well. Best ones I've used so far.
Thanks. I see from the Rudy website that the polarised lenses transmit less light than non polarised equivalent.

Do you find the polarised ones aren't dark enough in full sun?
No I find them fine. I don't notice what they are doing until I take them off if I need to clean the sweat off and then I know how they are doing 8)

And as I said I'm the type that can't drive their car without sunnies on during the day. So I'm more sensitive than normal.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Rockford wrote: No I find them fine. I don't notice what they are doing until I take them off if I need to clean the sweat off and then I know how they are doing 8)

And as I said I'm the type that can't drive their car without sunnies on during the day. So I'm more sensitive than normal.
Gordon

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 am

Rockford wrote: And as I said I'm the type that can't drive their car without sunnies on during the day. So I'm more sensitive than normal.
I know what you mean, my eyes seem to be the same :) . Good to hear the feedback, will be interesting to compare notes later.

Regards,

SB

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:46 pm

The sunglasses turned up today :D

Just a couple of initial thoughts after having a play with them (no rides until home time!). The Impactx 2 Photochromic (non polarized) are not quite what I expected. The weather here today is bright and sunny, and around 25 degrees. The glasses seem a little slow to transition between shades, even from full sunlight to near darkness and vice versa, maybe taking a couple of minutes or more, but in reality this should not be a real problem as most rides are longer than this :D . I would agree with other's comments that they are probably suited to slightly lower light conditions such as overcast etc, for my eyes at least. The shade is a grey colour and somewhat unnatural, however having said that I am used to polarized lenses. The photochromics were purchased mainly for low light conditions/morning/evening, so they should be OK for their intended use (for me). They do go almost completely clear in low light, which is one of the reasons I bought these.

The 3FX polarized lenses (fixed shade) are beauties. As soon as I put them on my eyes instantly felt relaxed, even though the shade % is supposed to be slightly lighter than the photochromics. Optical quality is very good, pretty much identical to my Rayban polarized glass lenses. The 3FX pair will get a lot of use! :)

The frames are very comfortable and light, and what is important for me, no eyelashes rubbing on the lens! They also look pretty classy in matte black. The Rydons fitted straight away, with only a little tweaking on the nose piece to fine tune it. Peripheral vision is very good as one would expect. The lenses do not wrap around 100% but are pretty good and fine for intended use. They cover my eyes better than the current Raybans, particularly to the sides and underneath.

I also bought the 3 coloured lens pack, with clear (night riding), yellow and racing red. The yellow I'm not sure I'll like but the racing red somewhat surprised me. They are not particularly dark but did relax the eyes. I'll have to try these out on the road.

In summary, if looking at a pair of these glasses, I'd personally take one of the polarized options at the extra cost rather than a non polarized version, but it depends on your intended use. If only they did a photochromic and polarized lens that went from 10% to 75% shade :D :D :D

I hope this helps someone else with their decision!

Regards,

SB

s3

Postby s3 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:02 pm

How do you find the polarized lens with looking at your Garmin/Phone?

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi S3,

The phone is not affected at all (Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini). The Garmin Edge 500 is fine too, the polarizing only affects it if you turn the Garmin around 90 degrees, which never happens in normal use anyway.

Cheers!

SB

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:59 pm

To add to sb's comments mine arrived yesterday and went for a ride early this morning. Mine are Rydon Impact X Photochromic/polarized in grey lens. Intial impressions - brilliant. The frames were instantly comfortable as noted by sb, the lens were excellent. Polarising makes a huge difference to the visual accuracy and depth perception. Infact after about 10 mins on the bike I actually forgot I had them on. I need to trial in full sun to provide a full review, but thus far I am very happy and would highly recommend.

Also, I can actually see the screen in on my Samsung s4 sunlight. The phone resides inside a Lifeproof cover . Couldn't do that with the dhb sunnies.
Gordon

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Just a little update on the glasses.

I went for a ride into the hills into the rising sun, and the photochromic glasses worked well. The unnatural colour I noted earlier is not as pronounced at lower lighting levels when the photochromic lenses are in a partial transition state. When they are fully dark, the colour is grey to look through, but appears to enhance contrast, more than what is seen with the naked eye. This appears to be a good thing at this time. I have also used the photochromics for commuting and they work well.

The Polar 3FX lenses are still very good, I'll continue using them in full sun and the photochromics in on darker clouded days and in rising/setting sun rides. Both sets are still comfortable, I can recommend them.

Regards,

SB

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:58 am

I have the clear lenses photochromatic go greyish I find them excellent for low light levels eg in the dark with lights or Vietnam or Aussie winter but for full sunshune they are OK but could be darker.
There are other lenses for those conditions on Rudys chart.
I also like it that Rudy has spare parts for when elephants tread on them and the nose piece is really well made.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 pm

I purchased my Rudy Project Photochromatic in 2009 (about 40,000km ago) and despite the few occasions they have jumped out of a jersey pocket and bounced along the road, they are still in excellent condition. I do find they can tend to fog up in the cold weather, possibly due to the fact that fit quite close to the face and don't leave much in the way of gaps.
Both the frames and lens are very tough construction, light and comfortable.
Lens are quite scratch resistant and are still almost perfect, despite not taking any special care to use the supplied lens cloth, just tissues or whatever is handy.
Lens do not go really dark black but are quite adequate for even a bright day, and of course are completely clear in dull weather or night.
As others have reported, they do not change their degree of shade very quickly, but this hasn't been an issue.
Not cheap but an excellent product well worth the price.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:14 am

A futher update after a couple of weeks riding. I have found the lenses are not as effective at blocking wind, I think the Rydon frames sit away from my face a bit further so a strong head wind does irrirtate my eyes at times. Otherwise I give them a AA+ rating - excellent.
Gordon

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:04 pm

After 3 months of use I believe the lenses are too small :(

Not withstanding Perth's consistent windy weather, the lens size just isn't large enough to stop both the wind and foreign objects from getting into ones eyes. The problem is probably magnified by the distance the lenses sit away from your face.

Going to write to RP to see what advice/comments they may have.
Gordon

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:10 pm

I'll jump in late. I've had rudy rydons for a while. I have the carbon golf frame with the photochromatic golf lense. I also have the clear and yellow lenses. Not designed for direct sunlight but some of the most comfy glasses around. And the lenses hold up to a beating !!!!!!