Ortlieb is now restricting sales

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:27 pm

I had an order in with Bike24, a webshop in Germany. This included small parts to upgrade an Ortlieb pannier but I just got an email to the effect that "unfortunately, due to the manufacturer it is no longer allowed to send Ortlieb products outside of the EU, so we removed this article from your order." Most overseas shops don't sell the small parts and there's buckleys seeing a shop in AU selling them let alone most of the range of Ortlieb bags. Something similar just happened with Camelbak in the UK.

lard

Re: Ortlieb is now restricting sales

Postby lard » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

I'd noticed Camelbak gear had vanished from Wiggle. Although wifey just bought 4 Camelbak podium bottles from Rebel sports for less that Wiggle ever had them.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:51 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:.. and there's buckleys seeing a shop in AU selling them let alone most of the range of Ortlieb bags.
It's mindbogglingly backward-looking

I can only suggest writing to the company and point out that they are losing sales, not protecting them. Unless they can point you to a retailer you can use.

(Do try .nz .sg .hk stores etc)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:58 pm

What's the betting the local distros are behind this? Don't want to lose sales to OS stores but don't want to lose their obscene middleman markups either
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:14 am

Mulger bill wrote:What's the betting
You can get odds on that?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 am

Mulger bill wrote:What's the betting the local distros are behind this? Don't want to lose sales to OS stores but don't want to lose their obscene middleman markups either
I wouldn't be surprised but this doesn't help us in any shape or form. Local stores can't get Ortlieb or the full product range plus local stores can't get the full product colours. My latest purchase from Bike24 went through but 24hrs later I got the email saying sorry no can do. I ended up with orders for the UK and US to fill my needs.

Ricky

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:46 am

Currently St John Street Cycles remain my 'go to' for Ortlieb. They generally have a remendous range of all touring gear - full range of Ortlieb spare parts, and all sorts of parts for lots of other things as well. Just recently I bought a set of the screws and nuts that fasten on the rack mountings, and discovered they sell spare mount kits for the Ortlieb clip-on pockets.

8)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:02 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:I had an order in with Bike24, a webshop in Germany. This included small parts to upgrade an Ortlieb pannier but I just got an email to the effect that "unfortunately, due to the manufacturer it is no longer allowed to send Ortlieb products outside of the EU, so we removed this article from your order."
Yeah Bike 24 has not been shipping Ortlieb to Australia since at least June, probably earlier.

I found the people at Abbotsford Cycles in Melbourne had a great range and at prices lower than Australian online stores like Pushy's (for my front panniers anyway).

Bit more here:

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=75517&start=25#p1136193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 am

I got an Ortlieb trunk bag from xxcycle about 6 months ago with no drama. They don't have the widest range but might be worth checking out.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:46 am

lard wrote:I'd noticed Camelbak gear had vanished from Wiggle. Although wifey just bought 4 Camelbak podium bottles from Rebel sports for less that Wiggle ever had them.
How much were they? I am going to go looking for Podium Chill today.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:46 am

Espresso_ wrote:I found the people at Abbotsford Cycles in Melbourne had a great range and at prices lower than Australian online stores like Pushy's (for my front panniers anyway).
Not the case. Pushys are still cheaper.

Abbotsford $149 for Sortpacker Classic

Pushys $109 for Sportpacker Classic

Similar price differential for other panniers eg. rear Bikepacker Classics for $135 versus $185. These are a FAR lower prices compared with 2003 when I first bought Ortlieb bags and the local price for a set of Bikepacker Classics was $300 and the Sportpacker Classics were $220. The local purchase option now looks reasonably viable.
Mandatory helmet law?

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:27 pm

LOL I only just received that very product from Pushys in the mail this morning and paid the same price.

Ricky

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:18 pm

TonyMax wrote:
lard wrote:I'd noticed Camelbak gear had vanished from Wiggle. Although wifey just bought 4 Camelbak podium bottles from Rebel sports for less that Wiggle ever had them.
How much were they? I am going to go looking for Podium Chill today.
Dunno about Rebel, but Merlin still has them cheap. I got 4 last week.

http://www.merlincycles.com/camelbak-po ... 68524.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank Jasonc :wink:

Edit....

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/Product/Ca ... nuFrom=411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 clams extra per

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:52 am

Pushys locally have a reasonable range now and I believe at reasonable prices. I purchased a bag from PBK recently and they shipped here so another option for a few limited items.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Great deals on matched sets of Ortlieb at The Touring Store. Eg. $US337.50 for matching Bikepacker Plus & Sportpacker Plus. $US288.75 if you're happy with the Classic range. There are a whole lot of other combination sets. Shipping is extra but this guy's shipping costs are reasonable.

However Pushys prices are now very competitive - a better deal.
Mandatory helmet law?