Where to buy Cube bikes in Australia?

Shred11

Where to buy Cube bikes in Australia?

Postby Shred11 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm looking for a cyclocross bike and came across the 2015 Cube "Cross Race Disc Pro":

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/road-race/c ... lack-2015/

I particularly like the idea of having the Shimano ST-RS685 brifters (hydraulic brake). The Cube site lists a dealer close to where I live... but the LBS tells me that the Australian distributor is no longer bringing Cube bikes in to Australia and he can no longer get them.

Is this correct? Does anyone know if there's another distributor taking over? I could mail order the bike from Chain Reaction, but I'd rather support the local bike shops. Plan B looks like being a Merida Cyclo Cross 700.

harmonix1234

Re: Where to buy Cube bikes in Australia?

Postby harmonix1234 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Bike shop in Bomaderry NSW. South Coast.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Oz distro was Monza Imports. Ask them...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:03 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:Oz distro was Monza Imports. Ask them...
Thank you. It looks like they've removed Cube from their web site. I guess Monza Imports will know if someone else is bringing the bikes in to the country. http://monzaimports.com.au/bicycle/brands/

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:34 pm

99Bikes are actively advertising Cube Bikes for sale.
Cycling is in my BNA

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:29 am

Yes - 99bikes is top of the Google search results. They have 2013 and 2014 models, but not the 2015 ones. I guess they may be selling out existing stock.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 am

99bikes at the Valley in Brisbane had some in stock about a month ago.
OI onya bike!!!

s3

Postby s3 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:47 am

Monza are still listed as the AU distributor http://www.cube.eu/service/cube-international/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they became the AU distributor for Cannondale earlier this year, so they seem to be dropping Cube and GT. I was ken on the GT grade and Monza have confirmed they will not be importing the 2015 models.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:32 am

AFAIK you can get them from Ride 365 in Canberra...

http://ride365.com.au/products/98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:16 pm

http://sprungmtb.com.au/ in Launceston are listed as a dealer on the Cube website. I ordered my Cube from a shop that was listed on the Cube website, they didn't seem to realize they were a dealer but they got the bike and they advertise Cubes now. I have a Cube Cross Race Disc, it is a very heavy bike compared to its competitors, about 11.5kg, my steel hard-tail weighs the same amount and feels livelier.
No signature

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:55 pm

I can confirm, Monza are dropping Cube for 2015.
S3, thanks for the info on GT, I havn't heard this and suprised that they are dropping them as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:17 am

s3 wrote:Monza are still listed as the AU distributor http://www.cube.eu/service/cube-international/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they became the AU distributor for Cannondale earlier this year, so they seem to be dropping Cube and GT. I was ken on the GT grade and Monza have confirmed they will not be importing the 2015 models.
I was also considering the GT Grade, but it looks like that idea is out. Norco don't appear to be imported here for the models I'm interested in and the importers of Kona seem to be very selective about what they import if you look at what has AU pricing on the Kona site. When you look at "the best of" articles in road.cc or bikeradar, there are so many brands that are not available here and some which would be very difficult to import like Boardman. I thought things might have changed in the last 5 years or so, but I'm still not surprised that people resort to importing framesets and building bikes themselves, considering what little is available locally outside the major brands.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:38 am

Norco are pushing right in to this market and there are a lot of their bikes coming in for Christmas sales.

Whilst there are no stores in Tassie - I know my local Bicycle Centre - owned by a cracking good bloke - is rolling out Norco's range. You could contact him direct - Bicycle Centre Warragul - 0356232398 - ask for Phil - and see whether he can assist you. (Disclaimer - I have no involvement with the store, other than as a customer who has received exceptional service.)

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:10 pm

macca33 wrote:Norco are pushing right in to this market and there are a lot of their bikes coming in for Christmas sales.

Whilst there are no stores in Tassie - I know my local Bicycle Centre - owned by a cracking good bloke - is rolling out Norco's range. You could contact him direct - Bicycle Centre Warragul - 0356232398 - ask for Phil - and see whether he can assist you. (Disclaimer - I have no involvement with the store, other than as a customer who has received exceptional service.)

cheers
Thanks Macca. I found that 99 Bikes locally do Norco, but their general site doesn't list the Search Steel. Therefore I'm going to assume they don't import it and leave it at that. If I get into special requests then I may be waiting for something that may never arrive. Easier to just import one myself from the US, but I couldn't be bothered with the red tape and large freight costs. I'll just look for something else.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:55 pm

s3,
Evans cycles have the GT Grade if you're still interested and are prepared for the hassle of importing and $370 for shipping.
http://www.evanscycles.com/brands/gt#!C ... ss%20Bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

s3

Postby s3 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:01 pm

I ended up buying a 2015 Defy Disc and putting 28C tyres on it through winter. She goes great!

I do note that 99 bikes are now stocking some of the 2016 model GT Grades in Australia, looks like a great bike.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Looks like 99bikes are distributing Cube again. Below is part of the email from them:

"After a brief hiatus for Cube Bikes in Australia, the German brand is back for 2016 and available exclusively at 99 Bikes. Cube is a bike manufacturer with an overwhelming passion for innovation, quality and meticulous attention to detail. As well as high performance road, mountain and commuter bikes, Cube is particularly strong in the e-bikes category and are partnered with the market leaders in electric drivetrains, Bosch.

Changes to their import model meant that Australian consumers have not been able to access Cube Bikes since 2014. We were so keen to make sure our customers had access to the Cube brand again that we decided to take on the importing job ourselves! This means the range available is what we feel is most suitable to our customers and their needs; and we can offer this range at incredible value by importing directly from the manufacturer."

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Interesting.

In 1999 (living overseas) when I purchased a MTB and was weighing up between a Stevens and a Cube, I was told by my trusted shop who had both brands that people who want to show off go for a cube whereas riders who want a good value bike which delivers go for a Stevens.

That said, I never found Cube to be that flashy, rather they were visually loud but relatively generic as a brand and sit within the cluster of common German brands. Even over at Eurobike, Cube were always brand that had loud paint jobs but otherwise were very comparable. It means that 'innovation' is not a term I would associate with this brand. While they pushed their road bikes, it was Focus and Felt who remained a step ahead.

For reliability - I would say yes, as an established brand, reliability is something that the brand would strive to achieve however I will guess that they may be priced by 99 Bikes as a higher end bike so other brands will be vastly better value for money.
Cycling is in my BNA

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 am

I almost bought a Cube from 99 bikes a few years ago. mainly as I really like the paintwork. but I ended up going with a more sedate Azzurri Forza, which by value-for-money was unbeatable. Cubes don't seem to have much of a following among 'serious' cyclists. mind you, neither do Azzurris :)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 pm

I've bought 3 Cubes via 99bikes in the last few years. I'm ecstatic with them all, especially my son's team MTB. Well thought out, nothing outlandish and all great to ride. Everyone who's ridden my Cube XC bike thinks it's brilliant. But I'm a convert.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.