Budget Single Speed vs Budget Roadie

p75213

Budget Single Speed vs Budget Roadie

Postby p75213 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:30 pm

I am thinking about buying a cheap 2nd bike. It will be located at a small country town where I spend 2 or 3 months of the year.The chances of buying a suitable 2nd hand bike are small and therefore I am looking at a couple of new alternatives:-

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2015- ... ad-bike/R5

http://www.this link is broken/BEST_Beginn ... _Under_500

I will be using it for fitness and having fun. The town is generally flat with some rolling hills on some of the country roads. I wont get a chance to test ride the bike as I will be buying off the internet. If I did get the chance to test ride I would be looking for the bike that gave me a fast comfortable ride wearing everyday casual clothing. Any thoughts?
Last edited by p75213 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Storm Boy

Re: Budget Single Speed vs Budget Roadie

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:54 am

The fixie link didn't work for me, is this the one?

http://www.this link is broken/CELL-Stinge ... -Under-500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there are hills as mentioned, I'd personally go for the geared road bike, it will also be more versatile.

Regards,

SB.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:20 am

Go the single speed if the town is flat - the odd rolling hill in the country should be a non event if you want to get fit. I ride single speed all the time with a classic 18/44 gearing and do not have an issue with most hills.

Another cheapie that is good for the money is the Reid Harrier - I had one for quite a while and it never missed a beat. I updated the Harrier for an Avanti Solo 2012 model that was on special - if it had not been reduced I would have stayed with the Harrier.

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/harrier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OI onya bike!!!

flaky

Postby flaky » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:44 pm

I would recommend a bike with gears over a single speed.
Single speed is just a fad at the moment, gears are really useful...in the future also! There are hills on this Earth.
Really good budget roadbikes available online...
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Helios 3.0= good roadbike, light weight also...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Single speed will require less maintenance. (It's not a fad, it's a practical alternative)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Sounds like ideal territory for a singlespeed, and the lack of maintenance would fit in well with your intended use. The only reason i wouldn't go for a Harrier or Griffon is the riser bars, i just can't get comfortable with those. I had a similar bike a while ago and fitted road bars and levers i had on hand, to purchase basic ones you would be looking at say $80 all up (cheaper if you get them 2nd hand from a bike shop or at the tip). But that's personal preference, like saddles, only you will know what's most comfortable for you.

I would steer clear of the Hasa purely because of the shifters, they have the thumb triggers like Shimano Sora shifters used to have, and while some people like them i hated them.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:46 pm

flaky just has a bug up his ar5e about singlespeeds and/or fixed gears it would seem. (see this thread). We're all just hipster sheep, doing our knees a disservice if we want to ride one apparently.

They're good as a second bike, low maintenance etc etc and for all of the reasons put forward by others. I wouldn't spend a huge amount of coin on an off-the shelf one. I'd expect to budget for a little customisation once you've got it too; which can probably said of any new bike really.

Do what you want to do.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 pm

I'll add that for the same $ you should get better bits on a SS bike because the money that could have gone in gears goes into upgraded bits.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

qranked

Postby qranked » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:26 am

After being exclusively MTB for years, I got a budget SS and a budget roadie. The SS is far more practical - any fitness you gain will transfer directly if you decide to ride a roadie, and you are forced out of the saddle more. Good stuff.