Wheel selection (Pro-Lite Bracciano vs Swiss Side Gotthard)

nezumi

Wheel selection (Pro-Lite Bracciano vs Swiss Side Gotthard)

Postby nezumi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I have recently secured myself an actual road bike after a year riding my CX for everything.

As is often the case, the factory wheels aren't really up to the same level as the rest of the bike, so I am now looking to supplement them.

The bike is a Merida Scultura 5000, so running 11 speed shimano (mostly Ultegra).

The majority of my riding (on this bike) will be either undulating roads or hills - I am just not a Beach Rd kind of guy, nor a crit racer.

My weight is currently 80Kg, down from 88 and hoping to go down a bit further.

I am considering the Swiss Side Gotthard or the ProLite Bracciano as potential wheelsets - I can't justify the $$$ for something like the Dura-Ace C24s, despite their popularity.

What should I consider/factor in when looking at a wheelset? Internal width? Spoke count? Rim depth? (I think I may be out of mine here)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Jesmol

Re: Wheel selection (Pro-Lite Bracciano vs Swiss Side Gottha

Postby Jesmol » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Shimano RS-81's are also an excellent choice.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Fyi The Braccianos for $366 currently seem a bargain to me... The others I'd consider are Campy Zondas.

Ps I look at weight but more about how they look like on the bike to be honest :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:09 pm

rodneycc wrote:Fyi The Braccianos for $366 currently seem a bargain to me... The others I'd consider are Campy Zondas.

Ps I look at weight but more about how they look like on the bike to be honest :-)
wow, that's a great price. I ride with a few people who have these wheels, and they all really like them

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Wiggle and pro-lite oz are that. Wiggle with free delivery prob tips it ( as much as I hate saying that - sorry Deon)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:42 pm

nezumi wrote:What should I consider/factor in when looking at a wheelset? Internal width? Spoke count? Rim depth? (I think I may be out of mine here)
Long service life. Easy maintenance. Reliability. Stiffness. All the non trendy stuff. My latest set of 36 spoke H plus son road wheels will outlast me, the bike and some other stuff whilst weighing around 1500 grams and costing about 450 for custom made...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:10 pm

Wide rims (23-24 mm outside) are the current hotness.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:28 pm

the gotthard are almost 800 not shipped.

the prolite would be around 400 shipped from pro lite oz.

I was interested in the swiss side wheels just for something different .... but thats a big price to pay for something a bit different.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:33 pm

eeksll wrote:the gotthard are almost 800 not shipped.

I was interested in the swiss side wheels just for something different .... but that's a big price to pay for something a bit different.
Swiss Side are currently running a promo of 20% off until Dec 31 - according to their website this makes them around $600 shipped to Aus.

It's still 50% more, but not as stark a difference as it was.

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:59 pm

nezumi wrote:
eeksll wrote:the gotthard are almost 800 not shipped.

I was interested in the swiss side wheels just for something different .... but that's a big price to pay for something a bit different.
Swiss Side are currently running a promo of 20% off until Dec 31 - according to their website this makes them around $600 shipped to Aus.

It's still 50% more, but not as stark a difference as it was.
For that price difference I would buy the Gotthards.

I bought Gotthards after I cracked a rim on a rear Bracciano - this was after 17000km. From memory I paid about $550 for the Gotthards on sale.

For me the Gotthards just "felt" better. I can't really say why so it just down to perception.

I bought Fulcrum Racing 3's to go on my Propel. These are better than the Braccianos, in my opinion. Once again this is just my perception. They are probably as good as the Gotthards but at the time of purchase the Gotthards were about $300 more expensive. They are not that much better. They are $100 better though...

At the current pricing my order of preference would be: Gotthards, Racing 3, then Bracciano.
At normal pricing my order of preference would be: Racing 3, Gotthards, then Bracciano.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:00 pm

The new Pro-Lite Bortola is probably worth a look too.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:15 pm

So, according to this review, the Gotthards have an internal width of 13.85mm and an outside width of 19mm - a not-insignificant difference to the Bortola linked by RonK (and similar to the Braccianos).

I know that wider rims are becoming more popular, both on an aerodynamics and comfort basis. I might take a closer look at the Bortolas, and potentially hold out for something else. I do wish Swiss Side published their rim profiles on their page though.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:07 pm

rodneycc wrote:Wiggle and pro-lite oz are that. Wiggle with free delivery prob tips it ( as much as I hate saying that - sorry Deon)
Sometimes we are a little cheaper, sometimes a little more expensive. I know some people are very price driven which is why we keep our costs as low as possible.

When you factor warranty, local support & advice, consumer protection laws, taxes paid and the fact that we employ Aussie people and sponsor many events, clubs and riders - some people are willing to pay a little extra for that.

I won't begrudge someone for saving a few dollars, just don't be offended if I can't help you with spare parts or warranties for goods not purchased via Australian authorised channels - if I can, I still would but its not always possible.

The bortolo model mentioned isn't in production yet, when they are - I won't sell them until they've been tested in Australia and I will also need to consider if there is any improvement over another very similar model to justify carrying another stock line.

The Merano A25W is our recommendation for Wide rims, I think they are a little wider than some other options and have been out long enough for us to be confident with their build quality etc.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"