Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:44 pm

And another one - the Orp. But I don't really like the horn tones on this :|

http://www.orpland.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

yugyug

Re: Bicycle warning horns

Postby yugyug » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Like the sound of the first one. Seems reasonable to be using a sound drivers are habituated to.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:24 pm

yugyug wrote:Like the sound of the first one. Seems reasonable to be using a sound drivers are habituated to.
And that's exactly what an Air Zound does, for about half the cost of the first one, and a fraction of the weight.
23 ounces (0.65 kg), no thanks.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:29 pm

wombatK wrote:
yugyug wrote:Like the sound of the first one. Seems reasonable to be using a sound drivers are habituated to.
And that's exactly what an Air Zound does, for about half the cost of the first one, and a fraction of the weight.
23 ounces (0.65 kg), no thanks.
Gotta disagree with that view on two points:
1. Airzound has just one tone. The two tones of this Loudbicycle is what gives it a real car-horn sound;
2. Airzound runs out of air pretty quick after a few days of use. The Loudbicycle claims a battery charge that will last 1-2 months.
Mandatory helmet law?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:36 pm

That's the reason i haven't bought an airzound, drivers will react best to a HORN, not a high pitched toy sound. I'm sure its better than nothing but I've got a good set of lungs that will outdo an airzound. :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:29 am

Oxford wrote:I haven't listened to these horns of these threads,
Hardly worth the breath to argue then, eh?
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Oxford wrote:And if you read my post, I made no specific comment on the horns the subject of the thread, in fact I made it clear that I had not even heard them, you even quoted me, so what your point is I have no idea.
You commented:
Oxford wrote:I haven't listened to these horns of these threads, but if you want something that people will notice, you need something that plays an out of tune chord. Harmonious in tune chords sound pleasant (3 notes), one with an out of tune note sounds terrible and will catch peoples attention for this reason.
The Loudbicycle horn is just that, a two-tone horn, just like a car horn, what distinguishes it from most bike horns (including the Airzound). Like I hinted at, good to listen to the sound first. That's why I put up the video, rather than just a photo.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Have you watched those videos yet?
Mandatory helmet law?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Whats wrong with yelling? :?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:16 pm

il padrone wrote: The Loudbicycle horn is just that, a two-tone horn, just like a car horn, what distinguishes it from most bike horns (including the Airzound). Like I hinted at, good to listen to the sound first. That's why I put up the video, rather than just a photo.
I had listened to it, but still think it's not a better solution than the airzound. The Airzound is loud enough and sufficiently like a truck
air horn in sound that the lack of a second tone really doesn't matter. Drive by ear drivers and iPodded pedestrians hear it and react.

It would be nice to have something that was smaller, just as light, and less dependent on regular pumping up. There have been
other attempts at 2-tone car-like horns (google galeforce), but it looks like they didn't last long on the market. The heavy kickstarter
thing will go the same way I suspect.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:52 pm

fat and old wrote:Whats wrong with yelling? :?
Even out of breath I can still be pretty loud if needed. :)

The first one seems good - but I doubt it will fit on the very chunky frames that all of my bikes have.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Oxford wrote:
fat and old wrote:Whats wrong with yelling? :?
Hard to do when you're out of breath, or breathing in after just expelling your lungs. Also I have found that you're voice cannot penetrate in the same way an airhorn can, its just another noise whereas an airhorn or possibly this kickstarter horn sound like a horn which has a distinct purpose that people understand. You hear an airhorn you know something is going down, you hear yelling, its just white noise. No different to people saying they prefer to call out to people on shared pathways rather than use a bell. A bell has a specific meaning that most understand, talk and its just white noise. In my very short commute to work, hopefully shorter sooner my bell works just fine, every person I encounter understands and appreciates it. Yelling sounds like abuse and is often rightly taken as such by the recipient.
Well that's good, because if I'm at the yelling stage, things are not going well :wink: and I've never had trouble finding the breath...

TBH, those horns seem pretty abusive to me anyway. And potentially dangerous.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:24 pm

Sorry Ox, I'm not inclined to react with a blast from an airorn in the example above (#2, couldn't make out #1). The car was in sight, I can judge if he's going to pull out and I'll be slowing down already.

The potentially dangerous comment was with regards to using them on peds, or on vehicles in some situations.

Each to their own, you like them, go nuts :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:59 pm

fat and old wrote:TBH, those horns seem pretty abusive to me anyway. And potentially dangerous.
Such horns are designed for on-road use (where this sort of thing is the standard for warnings), not for blasting pedestrians on the bike paths (where it would be regarded as abusive).

Not quite sure how you could regard a horn as "dangerous" however :?
Mandatory helmet law?

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I put away my AZ. I found it split my attention away from just immediately evading the hazard. Its use just never came naturally for me.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:54 pm

RedlandSteve wrote:I put away my AZ. I found it split my attention away from just immediately evading the hazard. Its use just never came naturally for me.
I did the same, for much the same reason - plus it took away a bidon cage, and required removal and transport when the bike was parked for longer time periods.
Mandatory helmet law?

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:07 pm

RedlandSteve wrote:I put away my AZ. I found it split my attention away from just immediately evading the hazard. Its use just never came naturally for me.
+1

...noting that I also found it created a hazard by scaring pedestrians not attuned to recognising them thus causing peds to jump into my path in panic.:-)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:11 am

Steve - I'll grab it off you if you don't want it any more. mine stopped working after a few crashes....

RedlandSteve

Postby RedlandSteve » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:24 pm

jasonc wrote:Steve - I'll grab it off you if you don't want it any more. mine stopped working after a few crashes....
Going to hang onto it in case I have a change of heart. If I can think of a better place to mount it where I do not have to split attention to use I may put it back on again. Also, the plastic mount clip fatigued and broke after some UV exposure, had to dodgy up with some cable ties to secure it back onto my flat handlebars.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:25 pm

mine has snapped in the same place and used cable ties to hold it on too...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:38 pm

thanks Ox. will pm you and work it out